Newbie from South Jersey

Dapdo

Bronze Supporter
Jul 15, 2018
Vineland, NJ
Hey everybody!
I am starting the process of getting a pool put in. Here are the specs. Constructive criticism greatly appreciated.
16x32 vinyl liner single roman end 20k gal
Pentair Quad de filter
Pentair intellichlor ic 40
Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump
Pentair easytouch 4 with screenlogic2
Nature2 mineral cartridge (really on the fence w this one likely going to 86; I reasoned that it would reduce chlorine need and extend ic40 life but that was just off the cuff)
Pentair magic falls water feature
Pentair intellibrite LED x2
I plan on using the tfp method and slam if needed. I also plan on using borates from the get go. I think the mineral system may be superfluous. It was my request and not the installers idea.
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School.

You are correct in thinking of dropping the Nature2 device. Creates problems and does not do anything.
Read Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!

I would wait on the Borates until you really understand your pool water chemistry.

Be sure an ET4 is all you need. You will have 3 relays available. An ET 8 may be warranted depending on how you plan to manage your lights and water feature.

Thanks for the response. Could you enlighten me re the differences between easytouch 4 and 8? Its hard to find info on the web that is concise.
I did read the articles you linked - I wanted to make sure I understood what I'm getting into.
Do you have any opinion re the intelliph? Adding acid seems like an easy enough process but I like the idea of being able to check in and catch an issue before it's a problem remotely especially with a swg.
I do not intend to replace manual testing with the automated systems.

Welcome to TFP.

Dirk installed an Intelliph system this season. Read about it here —> Being Held Hostage By My Pool!!! (aka Intelliph installation))

My understanding of the key difference of the ET4 vs ET8 is the number of relays 4 vs 8. You need to think through all the different devices, lights, automated valves you may have now or in the future that you want independently controlled. Some folks who got an ET4 found 4 relays were not enough. So plan carefully.

I agree, skip the Nature2.

Forgot to mention pool builder recommending pentair prowler 920.

We have a section devoted to Pool Cleaners. I suggest you browse through there and see the challenges folks have with different devices.

I have long used a Polaris 380 water pressure driven cleaner. They are pretty foolproof and have few parts to fail. I leave it in my pool all the time and my automation runs it daily.

I have been eyeing the robot cleaners. They sound new and better. But folks seem to have more problems with them. They can be glitchy, power supplies burn out, they stop working for no reason, have to be hauled in and out of the pool, etc.

You can compare the analog (old) pressure cleaners with the digital (new) robot cleaners. I am not sure the robots are an advancement in having a trouble free pool that you can swim and enjoy rather then fix and tinker. So look at the pros and cons and decide which you want to sign up for.

I have been suggesting to new builds that you install both electric by the pool to power a robot and run an extra return that is stubbed off and can be connected to a booster pump and used as a cleaner line. Then you have options to go either way in the future.

I have the Polaris 280. It’s great. I leave it in the pool all the time and it cleans the pool three hours a day. I clean its filter bag once a week. It is very easy to pull out of the pool to clean or to remove if you’re having a party. Robots need an electrical cord that you can see going into the pool which doesn’t look good unless you can camouflage it (which means at the very least you at least need the electrical outlet very close to the pool).

Some robots are very heavy and people use a caddy to roll it to and from the pool. And many robots are not made to keep in the pool. It may be that robots clean a little better (I actually don’t know). However, DE filters clean a little better than cartridge filters but that is not a strong reason to get a DE filter since cartridges (like a Polaris 280) clean very well.

I’ve never understood the very strong bias for robots on this cite.