Newbie about to start first SLAM

7:00 was 11.5, so I added a little more than 3 oz. 8:00 was 12.5, what the heck? Wondering if maybe my filter needs a rinse. I stirred things up just now and will rinse the filter when I go out to take a sample at 9:00.

My 6-year-old even commented that it looks better already. He came out to cheer me on “yay, you’re fixing it!”

Good morning! Last night at 11:00 before I went to bed, FC was 11 and CC was .5. I added about a cup of bleach, and woke up to FC of 11.5 and CC of .5! Water is looking SO much better!!!

I brushed a little bit just now when I went out to take my sample. Gonna rinse my filter in a bit. How often do you guys think I should be testing today? Also, my CYA is dissolved...when should I test that?

In other news, we are having unseasonably cool weather where I am right now. I just had to turn my furnace back on! Oh well, when it finally warms back up, this pool is going to be ready! Hahaha!

64AD69F4-5EE8-4D80-AC7F-D08845A2EA3A.jpg

Wait until tomorrow to test for your CYA.

Is it cloudy or sunny today? If cloudy, you might only need to test one or two times today. If sunny, make that 3 or 4.

Without sunlight on the pool surface you are not losing any FC to the UV from the sun. So any drop you see will be from organics being consumed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good morning! My FC held steady at 12 overnight, and before I brushed this morning, I could just make out the squares on the bottom of the pool. I didn’t remember to check CC before I dumped my sample, and I’m running low on reagent, so I guess I’ll wait on that. But I’m seeing definite progress! I tested my CYA this morning, and it came up between 30 and 40 on the tube. Closer to 30. Which do I go by?

1154EB31-569B-4B74-8DED-21531FC18756.jpg

Hmm...even though it is clearer, I just compared yesterday’s and today’s pictures side by side and we are definitely greener today...is this normal? Also, the sun is coming out this morning for the first time during this SLAM.

I’m back with more questions.

1. When I went back out to add bleach after testing this afternoon, I came back inside to find that my FC test had turned pink again. Normally I dump it out right away, so this is the first time I’ve seen this. Normal, or no? Am I reading the results too quickly?

2. My CYA tested at between 30-40, but closer to 30. Which # do I go by?

3. I ran out of titration reagent. I have more on the way, but what should I do in the meantime? The first two days of my SLAM, I had to add a half to a whole cup of bleach about 4-5 times throughout the day, but it was cloudy out. How should I proceed until my refill gets here?

Thanks for all the help so far!

1. Once the FC test goes clear, that is your FC. Do your CC test immediately, if you are doing it. The solution will turn pink if let sit.
2. Round UP. Use 40 ppm
3. Keep adding the same amount of bleach you have been. If sunny it will burn some of it up. You might not stay at SLAM level FC, but you should not sky rocket too high either.

Good luck.

1. Once the FC test goes clear, that is your FC. Do your CC test immediately, if you are doing it. The solution will turn pink if let sit.
2. Round UP. Use 40 ppm
3. Keep adding the same amount of bleach you have been. If sunny it will burn some of it up. You might not stay at SLAM level FC, but you should not sky rocket too high either.

Good luck.

Thank you, this is super helpful!

One follow up question: Before you responded, I was poking around Pool School and found this, where it states that the number closest to the water line is the CYA value to use. Is it just for SLAM purposes that you recommend to round up?

https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/220-CYA

Good point. In the recent past, we have always suggested rounding up as an extra margin of error. Up to you. I would still suggest rounding up but if you wish to use what is in Pool School, that is fine.

Take care.

My water is looking really good! There is some debris settled on the bottom, but I’m pretty sure it’s sand/leaves. My pump is fubar, so I don’t want to get the vacuum out before the replacement arrives tomorrow.

Speaking of the new pump, I’m wondering if it would set me back a ton on my SLAM if I turned it off until the new one gets here (tomorrow sometime). I am losing water to a leak underneath, and the mud situation is getting out of hand. Thoughts?

You can turn off the pump. Brush more.

It may delay the clearing, but not dramatically.

Great, thanks! Aside from the bit of debris on the bottom of the pool, things are looking really good. I would take a pic, but it’s raining.

Passed the OCLT this morning (did not lose a single PPM of FC, and CC was .5), so once this new pump arrives, I’ll be able to vacuum and I think we will be ready to go!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.