Newbie about to start first SLAM

Aug 2, 2017
Duluth, MN
Hi all, I'm hoping I can get some advice as I begin my first SLAM.

By way of background, I bought my pool last summer. I did not winterize it properly, and when I uncovered it this spring, I found a nice green swamp. Last Friday, the guy at the pool store sent me home with a bag of "shock treatment" (which I now know is 73% cal-hypo) and the instruction to come back with a sample after the weekend. Of course, being a long weekend, I was impatient and so took to the google to see if there was anything I could do to help things along before I got back to the store with a sample. That's when I found YOU GUYS, and my eyes were opened! :handwave::handwave::handwave:

So, now I know not to trust the pool store guy--first things first, haha! I've read up on how to do a SLAM properly. I ordered a Taylor K-2006 test kit that should be arriving today, and also some socks for my skimmer basket and a brush head. So I understand correctly, my first steps will be to test and adjust the pH and CYA (which, BTW, I have never used because the pool store guy told me I didn't need it :shock::shock::shock:). Then I start adding chlorine/checking FC every 30 minutes, yes?

My questions are: How long do I need to wait to test after the CYA is dissolved to ensure an accurate test reading? Also, I know that my tap water runs on the soft side, so I am assuming that my CH will be low when I test it. If that's the case, is there any reason not to use the 3 lbs of cal-hypo that I have sitting here from the pool store, instead of bleach? Pool math tells me that adding 48 oz will only increase my CH by 35, and I'd hate for it to go to waste. Also, do I test the FC after adding to make sure I got up to shock level, or do I assume that it has reached shock level if I dump in the amount given by pool math, based on my water volume?

Any other words of wisdom/encouragement appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!!

How long do I need to wait to test after the CYA is dissolved to ensure an accurate test reading? Once fully dissolved, 24 hours or so.

Also, I know that my tap water runs on the soft side, so I am assuming that my CH will be low when I test it. If that's the case, is there any reason not to use the 3 lbs of cal-hypo that I have sitting here from the pool store, instead of bleach? You could, but you do not need the calcium. I would suggest keeping that for when you need a FC boost but are out or running short of Liquid Chlorine.
Also, do I test the FC after adding to make sure I got up to shock level, or do I assume that it has reached shock level if I dump in the amount given by pool math, based on my water volume? The first couple times you might check at 30 minutes after add, but if the water is full of organics the FC will already be lower due to doing its job.

Did you order the K2006C? The C matters. If not, then you should order additional FAS-DPD reagents now. Also CYA reagent. You can get those at
http://tftestkits.net/cart.html?m=splash

Take care.

I suggest ordering the FAS-DPD and CYA reagent refill I stated above. You will need them as that kit comes with limited tests for those two items that you will test the most.

Take care.

Well, FedEx broke my heart today when 8:00PM came and went and still no pool goodies arrived! :mad:

So, I have had time to think...would it help at all to put a sock in my skimmer and try to vacuum up the visible algae before I start? It’s all settled on the bottom of the pool. My filter kept getting clogged up pretty quickly last week when I had the pump running. I’m wondering if vacuuming would prevent having to rinse my cartridge out as often.

definitely vacuum as much crud out of your pool as you can
disposable hair nets work out a lot cheaper than skimmer socks
i wouldnt add any cya just yet
first step is to run a full test
2nd step is get ph in the low 7s
if you get a valid cya reading then raise chlorine to suit
but if there was zero cya add enough chlorine to bring fc up to 5ppm then retest in half an hour
if your chlorine disappears almost immediately dont add any cya, just keep adding chlorine until it holds for half to one hour
then when chlorine holds for half an hour add enough cya to bring you to 30. wont show on tests for several days, just know it is there
then adjust your chlorine on this new cya level of 30

Definitely get all the junk off the bottom of the pool.

definitely vacuum as much crud out of your pool as you can
disposable hair nets work out a lot cheaper than skimmer socks
i wouldnt add any cya just yet
first step is to run a full test
2nd step is get ph in the low 7s
if you get a valid cya reading then raise chlorine to suit
but if there was zero cya add enough chlorine to bring fc up to 5ppm then retest in half an hour
if your chlorine disappears almost immediately dont add any cya, just keep adding chlorine until it holds for half to one hour

then when chlorine holds for half an hour add enough cya to bring you to 30. wont show on tests for several days, just know it is there
then adjust your chlorine on this new cya level of 30

Is this to check for ammonia?

Yes. Though that is not the exact procedure TFP recommends.

We recommend raising your FC to 10 ppm. Circulate the pool for 30 minutes. Test FC, if 5 or below, raise FC to 10 ppm, circulate for 30 minutes, repeat until your FC is above 5 ppm after circulating for 30 minutes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you going to do the ammonia protocol?
If so, do that first.

Then, lower your pH to 7.2
Add 30 ppm of CYA via the sock method.
Start SLAM Process. Follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Good luck!

Lower Ph to 7.2 after phosphate tests. Get the CYA to a minimum of 30 ppm, then SLAM away. Throw a skimmer sock or hairnet on the skimmer basket, to lengthen cartridge filter rinse intervals, and if you want, try a duda diesel bag on the return jet to capture fine suspended particles and dead algae.

Okay, FC only went down to 6.5 after 30 minutes, so I guess that means I'm safe as far as ammonia goes, yeah?

I don't have any muriatic acid to bring down my pH. Is it crucial to do this before I add the CYA? Or can I add CYA and go pick up some muriatic acid over the weekend? Is this sold at big box stores? My pool store is only open M-F.

Add the CYA and start your SLAM. pH of 7.4 is not the end of the world. If when you test FC at any time forward and it is under 10ppm, test pH. Have the MA on hand to adjust it then.

Great! You have exposed that algae and now kill it with chlorine! Brush several times a day so you continue to break it up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.