New VSP won't Pull Through Skimmers

Oskee2004

May 7, 2020
Illinois
My pool is ~17 years old. 40,000 gallon, 20x40 with a SWG and heater. Two skimmers and a floor drain; three return jets plus a slide. We've always gotten good circulation and efficient cleaning through the plumbing.

Last year, the original pump went out. Our local pool company evaluated the plumbing and sized a new variable-speed pump (the original was not VS). Pool opening went fine, but the new VSP doesn't seem to create enough suction in the skimmers to clear the surface debris, even running at a max 3,400 RPM. I also notice much lower pressure on the filter than the previous pump (15 instead of what was typically 25). After several days, the water level is stable, so I don't think there's a leak in the lines.

Pool company suggested I try closing one of the skimmer valves or floor drain. If I close one of the skimmers AND the floor drain, the pressure increases to ~25 at the filter, and there is enough suction at the remaining skimmer to bring debris into the skimmer, but not down into the basket. Obviously, I'm not going to run the pool that way on a permanent basis.

Any suggestions?

Can you provide the model etc of VS pump you have? Your signature shows your single speed.

O,

The whole idea of having a VS pump is to run it as slow as you can, not as fast as you can.. :mrgreen:

Skimming does not "look" the same, but still works the same with a VS, it just takes a little patience.

I suspect that you have no operating weir doors on your skimmers.. Is that true???

I also suspect that you now have a small VS pump (1.5 HP) and not a large VS pump (3 HP).. Is that true?

We recommend running your skimmer wide open, and only opening your main drain 5 or 10%.. Main drains are not really needed at all.

Thanks,

Jim R.

What model and HP was your old SS pump and your new VS pump?

Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro Pumps were available from .5 to 3 HP. What did you have?

IMG_1205.png

Is your Superflo VST connected using 115V or 240V?

IMG_1207.png

O,

In my mind the SuperFlo VST is just too small a pump for your pool...

What about your weir doors? Do you have them or not??

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yes. I have them. Company charged me $200 to have someone evaluate and size the pump. So, if it’s that simple, then I’m glad there is an easy fix, but would probably be a frustrating conversation with the company.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
O,

Just as a point of reference...

I run my 3 HP pump at 1200 RPM, because that is a little more than the speed that turns on my SWCG. At that speed my skimmers work just fine, but if you are used to a single speed pump, they do not "look" the way you are used to seeing them..

I use hairnets in my skimmers and I can tell you they are just jammed packed with debries when I empty them. The top of my pool is pretty much clear all the time. If I watch a leaf, it will often just float right on by the skimmers.. But, if I go inside and come back in half an hour, the leaf will be gone.

So, I guess the question is the problem real, and your skimmer are not working, or do things just not look the way you are used to seeing them?

Note that I have a large VS pump, a large Cartridge Filter, and no heater, so my water flow path has very little resistance, which allows me to run at a pretty low RPM. My filter pressure is about 1 lb. on a 30 lb. gauge. If I had a heater, I'd have to run at 1500 to 1600 RPM..

Buying a VS pump has nothing to do with the size of your pool, but more about how slowly you can run it..

Thanks,

Jim R.

O,

Just as a point of reference...

I run my 3 HP pump at 1200 RPM, because that is a little more than the speed that turns on my SWCG. At that speed my skimmers work just fine, but if you are used to a single speed pump, they do not "look" the way you are used to seeing them..

I use hairnets in my skimmers and I can tell you they are just jammed packed with debries when I empty them. The top of my pool is pretty much clear all the time. If I watch a leaf, it will often just float right on by the skimmers.. But, if I go inside and come back in half an hour, the leaf will be gone.

So, I guess the question is the problem real, and your skimmer are not working, or do things just not look the way you are used to seeing them?

Note that I have a large VS pump, a large Cartridge Filter, and no heater, so my water flow path has very little resistance, which allows me to run at a pretty low RPM. My filter pressure is about 1 lb. on a 30 lb. gauge. If I had a heater, I'd have to run at 1500 to 1600 RPM..

Buying a VS pump has nothing to do with the size of your pool, but more about how slowly you can run it..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks. The pool hasn’t cleared any debris from the surface after working for days (I didn’t hand skim, so I could tell if it a was working).

O,

Show us some pics of the equipment pad.. Maybe one of us can spot something..

Just to be clear about weir doors.. They not only need to be there, but they need to move freely with the water level.. Makes sure they are not stuck up.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. Just got home (have been answering while running errands). One of the weir doors is gone - not sure what happened. The other is stuck up. Water level is normal, but I'll try draining some.

I dropped the water level about a 1/2 inch and set the floor drain to about 50%. I noticed some murky then foamy water in the pump window, then it cleared up and everything seems to be operating fine. The weir door is functioning and the skimmers are working. I must have had an air pocket trapped somewhere in the plumbing. I'm hopeful that doesn't indicate a leak somewhere, but again, the water level has been very stable over the past week.

Thanks again for all the help!