New Virginia Pool happy to find this forum and happy owner of K2006c test kit

SouthVirginiaPool

Silver Supporter
Apr 26, 2020
Chesapeake, Virginia
So after lurking, reading, learning and seeing the light I now feel pretty comfortable taking care of my new pool. Just 3 weeks ago I was trying to hire a pool guy to help me take care of my pool, but most are not taking new customers due to COVID19 here. Now I realize I don't need one (and would trust myself over any pool store or generic pool guy). I posted prior about loosing chlorine like crazy despite having a salt water generator. Solution was getting CYA from 5 ppm to 40 ppm initially. So here are my current numbers with the Taylor K2006c test kit.

FC - 8.5 ppm
CC - 0.5 ppm
pH - 7.6
TA - 110 ppm
CYA - 40 ppm
CH - 230 ppm
salt - 3100 (from SWCG reading - waiting for K1766 kit to get here)

I did an overnight chlorine loss test (0 ppm)
I turned off the SWG and found daily chlorine loss was 1.5 ppm
For a 29,000 gallon pool, my SWG can replace 1.5 ppm chlorine at 50% setting running the pump for 12.4 hours.

I'm happy with the water clarity, and so were a couple visiting ducks. Next step is to increase CYA to 70 ppm (I kept it lower incase I had to do a SLAM - I wanted to do the OCLT first). Then I'll find the right setting for the salt water chlorine generator. This site has been invaluable - thank you. I'll definitely keep reading at hopefully my next hurtle will be closing the pool successfully this fall.

PS - 1 question I did have was doing the FAS-DPD test - the Taylor K2006c instruction say to add 2 scoops of powder. But a video I saw said to only add 1 scoop of powder. Does this matter? And does it matter if the scoop is flat or heaping?

IMG_9629.JPGIMG_9711.JPGpoolpole.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: IceShadow
Great pics and wonderful water clarity. :goodjob: As for the FC test, Taylor says two scoop because they describe the test using the 25 ml sample. We recommend the 10 ml water sample size with one generous scoop. It's accurate enough, you'll use a little less powder, and use drops. Go from pink to clear and divide in half. So 16 drops is an FC of 8. Easy stuff.

Good job opening.

Great pics and wonderful water clarity. :goodjob: As for the FC test, Taylor says two scoop because they describe the test using the 25 ml sample. We recommend the 10 ml water sample size with one generous scoop. It's accurate enough, you'll use a little less powder, and use drops. Go from pink to clear and divide in half. So 16 drops is an FC of 8. Easy stuff.

Good job opening.
Thanks for the tip - I read the instructions for the FAS-DPD test and I did use the 10 ml sample instead of the 25 ml sample but didn't decrease the powder from 2 to 1 dippers. Makes sense.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thanks for the tip - I read the instructions for the FAS-DPD test and I did use the 10 ml sample instead of the 25 ml sample but didn't decrease the powder from 2 to 1 dippers. Makes sense.
So long as you see a single grain of undissolved powder in your water sample, you have enough powder. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.