New user of pH meter

JuYuHu

Mar 7, 2017
Houston, TX
Hi, I'm going on season three of following TFP. So far, so good, have not encountered any issues with our pool. This season, I purchased TFP's pH meter to try to ease my pH testing... I calibrated it according to instructions, but found it to be off (high) by a couple of points compared to the drop test. I then purchased a highly-rated one from Amazon (two decimal points) and after several attempts, found that it's also a bit off (low readings this time compared to the drop test).

Both instructions said to rinse with distilled water before and after use... and to dry with filter paper. Now I'm reading elsewhere in the forum that I'm supposed to keep it wet? Should I rinse with distilled water and go straight to testing without drying? And also store with cap without drying? Just trying to figure this out...

Thanks for any advice!

You should follow whatever the manufacturer says to do. In my experience with lab grade, commercial probes, they always needed to be stored in a saturated chloride salt solution for optimal performance but those were lab grade tools. The retail stuff may be constructed differently.

By using the solutions that are predetermined. A waste of money for a pool. If you can detect a difference between 7.2 and 7.6 you yourself might qualify as a perfect test meter. Try using a meter over several weeks, then see how it is versus the solutions provided or that you can buy to see where it truly is. The wheel (drop tests) was invented years ago, yet companies continue to try to make it better, with failed results. I’m giving you my opinion after using one for hundreds of tests. I can say the same thing for LaMotte spin disks.

Taylor is now selling advanced test strips, I will try those soon to see how accurate they are, I’m hopeful they will become the new standard.

Ph, salt or tds meters always have to be recalibrated. Depending on which models you buy, they might come with several vials of preset solutions that-you dip the meter in. I remember them being different readings, 6.8, 7.2, 7.4. You dip them in and the adjust the meter accordingly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.