New to the forum and potential new pool owner

Mar 5, 2017
Southington, CT
Hey everyone. Just to start, thanks a lot for ruining my Sunday night :) I've basically been reading these forums non-stop for hours now.

My wife and I are looking at getting our first AGP. I'm looking at the Sharkline Matrix 24' right now on Pool Supply World. On their site I was going to add on the beaded liner. On amazon I was looking at adding on a Hayward 27" filter and the Hayward 1.5hp pump and possibly a [h=2]Hayward H150FDN heater[/h].

My biggest questions so far are the following. 1. Should I look at getting a Hayward DE instead of the Sand filter? 2. My state requires gated entry barrier, what do you guys suggest for that?

I was looking at using a local installer to do the install. I'll get a quote for him this week.

Thanks for any and all help!

You rang???? LOL

Saying that I will tell you I LOVE my sand filter. It is SO easy to use. Dirty filter? Turn handle to back wash and let it do the work. DE? well you can bump it then take it apart and clean it then add more DE. IF you do get a DE make sure it can be backwashed. Not just the pull up and down one.

Gated entry? Are you planning on a deck around the pool? That will really influence what we say about that. Does your entry have to be self closing and locking?

I am willing to bet you already know this but...........the site prep is the most important thing for an above ground pool. It MUST be level. Make sure you vet your installer on his site work. As for references and go talk to them......"would you have him install for you again?"

Since you have been reading you KNOW what I am going to ask for now.........Pictures of the place the pool will go!

We can help in so many ways-site prep, equipment, making it pretty aka BLING!, keeping it clear and looking like a jewel!

Kim:kim:

Wow are you guys (and gals) serious? I honestly have been dying for someone to help me figure out where to put the darn thing haha. I think you convinced me that sand filter is the way to go. I want to add a deck but that probably won't be for another 2-4 years (unless that money tree I planted starts growing). Here are some pictures. I'd like to put it somewhere close to the deck but please any and all suggestions are welcomed!!
click here for all the pics

Pool - Album on Imgur

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 181
Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :) You've got great experience with Kim on your side.

I love my sand filter too; just too easy :). But I also think you can successfully use any of the filter options if you commit to Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC) from the outset.

I've seen safety barriers attached to the wall of an AG pool which might suffice until you build your deck, but it's just something I've seen and I know very little about them.

Will you have to also have a fence around the yard?

Is that your play area in the back?

The windows-if you are inside and the kids are outside what window do you look out to check on them? We do not want to block the sight line from that window to the play area.

With you being in CT you will want the pool to get as much sun as possible all day long. What area of the yard that is close to the deck gets full sun?

Please take a picture of the back of the house so the whole house can be seen and is in the middle of the picture. If possible also go way back and take one the include the play area and house so we get a good feel for the area.

Check with your local code so we make sure to have it all covered:

Fence?

gate in fence or at the bottom of the stairs leading into the pool has to be self closing/locking?

IF no fence will you have to have a barrier on the sides of the pool?

I want to make sure I spend your money wisely!

Ok I got some more pictures this morning. As you'll see we have some pretty unique property lines. I tried to show in the google earth photo exactly how it lays out. Let me know if this gives you a better picture! The play area (swing set) in the back of the original pictures is not mine. The trampoline however is, and all of that could be easily moved if need be.

More pool pics - Album on Imgur

Also, as far as I can tell from reading my town and state building code I will not be required to fence in the yard. As long as the walls of the pool are higher than 50" and the gate to get into the pool is self closing and self locking I'll be all set.

pool placement.jpg I have attached the overhead pic as that will be the best one to work with.

I still need some input about the windows. Are there ANY the pool cannot go in front of due to sight line to the kids play area?

I have some ideas. This is fun for me!

Oh and how old are your kids?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What a lot line you have there. They sure have everyone tucked in where they can fit you.

Okay here are my thoughts and the whys:

-put pool where the fire pit is. That will put it close to the power supply and you will not have to trench as much. The equipment will be beside the pool more than likely with it being a above ground pool. You say you hope to have a deck in the future so plan on that when you pick THE spot for the pool. The deck will need to be big enough to hold a lounger or two that can be walked around.

-move the fire pit to just across from the spa-that gives you a good "triangle" of socializing. Hop from the burrrr of the pool to go sit by the fire pit and warm back up for night time swims or cooler days.

I would have stepping stones going to each area. I would think about putting steps from the spa deck to the new place for the fire pit.

You want to think about how to keep dirt and grass from getting into the pool. I see a small deck at the base of the pool steps to put a foot rinse bucket for that reason.

Google self closing and self locking above ground pools. There are several!

I did think about putting the pool more in the middle but that would mean running power to it somehow. That could add up the $$.

Let me know what you think and we will go from there.

These are great suggestions thank you so much! And you are absolutely correct, they definitely tucked these houses in wherever they could!

I like the idea of the social triangle and I was thinking similarly but a little different. If I were to keep the fire pit where it is now (and hopefully build a paver patio around it maybe when I hit the lotto) and then place the pool just off the deck in a similiar location to where the hot tub is. The outdoor subpanel is on that side of the house, over by the hot tub so I was thinking of tapping into that and running the new line right under the deck and to the pool. Probably less than a 20' run and no trenching! I then envisioned the potential deck to be on the back side of the pool, further away from the house. This deck could have steps that lead down to the firepit area and then from the fire pit you have the steps right up onto the deck for the hot tub at night. What do you think?

Yes! That would work very well. When you said that I went back to look at the overhead picture and saw how it would work out. I like it! With your lot line the pool and future deck will NOT block the sight line for your yard. I would build some steps coming off the deck so the "walk way" to the pool would be closer to the pool. You and both KNOW the kids (and silly adults) will jump of the deck and head straight to the pool :roll: LOL

Now check your set back so you can see how close you can put the pool to your lot line. Some HOA have rules for this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.