New to the forum and potential new pool owner

Ok, I have some updates. I signed a contract last night!! I found an installer who was able to get me a great deal on another Wilbar pool branded as an Atlantic Chesapeake. Here's what I went with so far.

Atlantic Chesapeake 21' Round
Hayward S244T Filter
Still deciding on the pump
AquaLuminator Return Light

Still deciding on the final location. Install tentatively scheduled for the end of April.

Get at least a 2 speed pump. It will save your money down the road in power bills. I run mine on low most of the time. The only time I use high is with the vacuum and when we want a lazy river ride around the pool LOL

What fun we are going to have!

Kim:kim:

The check has been cashed and the pool should be arriving this week or next! After the 18" of snow we got last week I know the install won't be happening any time soon so I'm spending plenty of time on here researching different things and getting excited!

When the install happens is there anything I need to make sure to keep an eye on with the plumbing? I wanted to have everything hard plumbed which I think is probably a requirement with my heater?

Hard plumped for so many reasons. No clamps to worry about coming loose. No worries if someone or something runs into it or trips over it.

Make sure to get good valves to shut off the water coming from the pool. I have one on the simmer pipe and return pipe. I would have one any where water could come out of the pool.

I also have mine plumbed with a valve on the backwash pipe so it is easy to use.

Unions-make sure to get unions on all pieces of equipment so you can take them off to work on them-all pipe coming out of the filter and on both sides of the pump (some pump have unions built in)

I would have a bypass on your heat so that you can bypass it if you ever need to. Better to have and not need then to need and not have :/

Thanks! Now for my next question, I know the obvious answer is "talk to the installer" but I'm just curious the thoughts here. I am paying the installer to have everything setup and he says he'll show me how to operate the pump etc... So am I to assume that he will be connecting the pump, filter, heater etc.... and if so the price to plumb it all is included?

That is a VERY good question. When I had mine installed they were going to use the provided flex hoses. NO unions, no valves, etc. I had to buy the PVC pipe, valves, unions, etc. but he did the work. I did have a say in how it was laid out as I only wanted one piece of pipe and valve for overflow and backwashing.

Now have you thought through where the water coming out of the pool when you back wash will go? There are many different ways to do it. Please check to see what the "rules" in your area says. Can you send water to the street? Do you have a sewer system?

That makes sense and is in line with what I was thinking. I'll assume he'll make me purchase the PVC, Valves etc... but he'll install them. I've seen all of these videos on youtube about why you don't want street elbows etc...

As far as backwashing goes, I have looked into local regulations. My thought was using a long length of hose (that looks like firehose) and running it out to a drain I have at the back of the back yard. As a private owner tending to my pool I'm allowed to do that.

I am glad you have already thought it through. Nice job!

When I get home I will take a pic of my pipe set up to show you how mine is plumbed. I did add in a valve so I could drain water when the rain adds too much to it. One day I will have a way to have an overflow put in. Have been luck so far in that it has not been a real problem.

Thinking along those lines:

The area under the skimmer and return needs to be "fixed up" for if/when water comes out of these areas. You do NOT want a overflowing skimmer causing a washout under your pool!

I dug down about 3 inches or so under and around this area. I filled it up with rocks. I then put stepping stones over the rocks. I did a slight slope when I put the stepping stone down so the water went away from the pool. I made sure none of this touched the pool wall. It is // close to the wall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have some good news! My pool has arrived and is currently in boxes in my garage!! How exciting. I'm obviously going to start getting anxious and pushing my builder to install ASAP. Does anyone have any recommendations of the best time to install the pool here in New England? At this point I've got everything I need to move forward, including the permits.

The ground should not be be frozen (I know duh but..........) when doing the ground prep.

The sun should be shining and the temps no lower than 60 when it is time to put the liner in. The sun/heat will help get the wrinkles and such out.

Now get to clearing the spot!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.