New to tfp

Carl Nigrone

Mar 16, 2019
Magnolia,TX
Pool Size
Hey guys,
I’ve been lurking on the site for a few months now. Trying to absorb it all. First time pool owner, installed finished September 2018. Never realized I had to be a chemist to have a pool. Not having any major problems yet. I’ve added Borates to it. Just wanted to get your opinions on my test results. My ph keeps climbing up, thinking maybe getting aerated too much. Have a spa that spills over and a small fountain. Stopped the fountain for awhile to see if it helps. Running the filter pump at 1/2 speed for 6 hours a day and full speed with the Polaris cleaner for 2 hours. Water looks clear and ready to jump into as soon as it warms up a bit. Am sure with our Texas summer won’t have long to wait.
Thanks in advance
Carl
lEFA2FBAA-5A13-4E5A-94FD-0C0D7358EE78.jpeg

I switch to spa mode with remote. But the return from the the filter pump always has some flow to the spa. Can’t stop that part. No valves installed to block spa return. I have been reading the pool school ebook. Should I be worried about the TA?

Great. What does that remote tie in to? With Jandy equipment do you have an Aqualink system?

Most automation has a Spillover function. Such that you can program the valves to move a couple times per day to run your spa spillover and thus chlorinate the spa water. But for normal operations all the water is pulled from and returned to the pool.

OK -- if you want us to help you can you post some pictures of your plumbing set up?

Most of the time it is plumbed such that you can, but pool builders are old school and do not change their ways. Many times it is as simple as closing a valve and programming your automation.

Here is a picture of the return plumbing. Filter pump pulls from pool in pool mode but has some return to spa always. Automatic valves only switch to go to spa mode. Seems I keep fighting the TA and PH. Last test was 130 and 7.9. I keep adding MA, they both come down only to have the PH rise again. Guess a result of being a new pool. So do keep adding MA till they balance out? 9F5D369A-9FD7-4CE0-8E4A-B798426133E6.jpeg

... Seems I keep fighting the TA and PH. Last test was 130 and 7.9. I keep adding MA, they both come down only to have the PH rise again. Guess a result of being a new pool. So do keep adding MA till they balance out?
Marty will guide you straight :) but the short answer to this question, is yes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On the left of your pic there is a check valve between a pipe marked spa and a pipe marked pool.. You need to remove the check valve part and replace it with a manual valve.. The body should accept either a check valve or rotating valve..

Most pools builders put in a check valve and a standard Jandy valve to adjust the flow or turn it off.

Without the check valve the spa will drain down when the pump is off if you leave the manual valve open...

Jim R.

Reactions: splashpad
Be patient and give the pH a year to level out. Mine has just finally stabilized, pool's first birthday is next week. Still goes up a little bit, but I think that's from aeration and high pH fill water.

On the left of your pic there is a check valve between a pipe marked spa and a pipe marked pool.. You need to remove the check valve part and replace it with a manual valve.. The body should accept either a check valve or rotating valve..

Most pools builders put in a check valve and a standard Jandy valve to adjust the flow or turn it off.

Without the check valve the spa will drain down when the pump is off if you leave the manual valve open...

Jim R.
I thought this too, which means there are basically 2 return lines to the spa (spa only or pool+spa). Once installed, most of the time that valve would be closed, forcing the water to go through the pool only. Is that correct?
Side bar: Did the pool builder "protect" themselves from the spa going "sour" by forcing (fresh) water to always enter the spa?

Your automation system can be programmed so that a couple times a day the system goes to Spillover and put the return water into the spa and suction from the pool. That chlorinates the spa. By replacing the check valve with a valve that is turned off, you reduce your aeration pH rise, keep your spa chlorinated, and allow for you to also have a program that when you want it, you can turn on Spillover and have the effect.

I switch to spa mode with remote. But the return from the the filter pump always has some flow to the spa. Can’t stop that part. No valves installed to block spa return. I have been reading the pool school ebook. Should I be worried about the TA?

Carl,

You've clearly read Pool School and are catching on well! No reason to be super concerned about TA but it is pretty high and definitely not helping your pH control. pH in most pools will rise with natural aeration at the surface and much more with operation of the aerating accessories like the spillover. I had to get mine down to very low end of the range and it helped a lot. You may hear from friends that use tablets they almost never add acid. That's because tablets contain high amounts of CYA that is acidic and quickly interferes with proper disinfection properties of FC. Not a great way to go unless you'd rather dump water frequently.

You're doing great with your TFP tools. Keep it up!

Chris

I think I’ll give it some time to stabilize since it’s new. Wait till I get to use it a bit to learn how to take care of it. Guess I was just concerned about putting so much MA in it.
Thanks for all the advice
Good approach, no hurry especially for a new pool. Also Borates increase the amount of acid required to change pH and will also help stabilize your pH in the long run.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.