Sep 18, 2021
Raleigh, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi TFP!
We had our 24’ AGP installed in May & have spent the summer sweating while digging in pavers, rocks, edging & enjoying floating to cool off!

I’m not sure what stuff is relevant - but here’s what I know about our pool: 🏊‍♀️
we have a 24’, 54” wall, “Antigua” pool (don’t remember the brand??) pentair sand filter, permasalt system & so far we’ve found it extremely easy to keep up with! We shock it every 3 weeks & keep the debris out. That’s about it! The most difficult part has been keeping the floats in good working order😹

Our kids are 15, 13 & 8 - & the pool has been a hit this summer!! Our backyard was already pretty cool with a zip line & chickens - the pool took it over the top!

looking forward to learning from you all!! (Starting with - what do I do to winterize a pool in NC??) We’re in plant hardiness zone 7b if that helps somehow?! Ha! Need to figure out if I’m draining or running the filter or what!

thanks for having me!! 👍🏼
8A880DB7-E65E-4F0B-A906-C9433CCA072E.jpeg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Also be sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. See ours as examples. It will help us later whenever you have questions. Make sure you have your TF-100 (or Taylor K_2006C) test kit in-hand and use our PoolMath APP to help you with chemistry. Enjoy. :swim:

Hi, welcome to TFP! You can choose to close the pool for winter or keep it open if hard freezes are not an issue. Is your pool plumbed with hoses or rigid pvc pipes?
We have hoses.
we have hard freezes, occasionally (not every year) & it’s a big deal/on the news when it’s coming. The pool store suggested keeping the pool running on low & only lowering the water & draining the pump/lines if the news was announcing a very cold weather.

Hey Jen and Welcome !!!
The pool store suggested keeping the pool running on low & only lowering the water & draining the pump/lines if the news was announcing a very cold weather.
Post a pic of your equipment. Do you have unions on all of the equipment? If so you can easily pull them out if need be. The pump and filter will have drain plugs also.

You want to figure out a rubber stopper or Gizzmo for the skimmer now, so if the time ever comes you can pull the equipment at the pad and/or drain it, without getting fire hosed from the pool.

So let’s figure this out *now* and not 3 days before the wether shifts, or it pops up out of the blue. :)

I also want to give you a sneak peek of what next year will bring for you if you get a test kit and follow the recommended levels. You’ll get the point quickly, but scroll all the way through, the pics keep getting better. 👇

Hey Jen and Welcome !!!

Post a pic of your equipment. Do you have unions on all of the equipment? If so you can easily pull them out if need be. The pump and filter will have drain plugs also.

You want to figure out a rubber stopper or Gizzmo for the skimmer now, so if the time ever comes you can pull the equipment at the pad and/or drain it, without getting fire hosed from the pool.

So let’s figure this out *now* and not 3 days before the wether shifts, or it pops up out of the blue. :)

I also want to give you a sneak peek of what next year will bring for you if you get a test kit and follow the recommended levels. You’ll get the point quickly, but scroll all the way through, the pics keep getting better. 👇
I am a bit overwhelmed by all I am reading here, honestly.
we have a perma salt system, which I am seeing is no bueno. It seems fine for us for now? My daughter gets rashes in typical chlorine pools & nothing happens in this, so I consider that a win. I just took this photo over the side of the pool. I thought it was ok?!
I’m glad to get a better understanding of testing & maintaining, but I am leery of just abandoning our perma salt system, which I’ve seen said in many posts!(or so it seems!!)

I will work on the close it up covers. I have been looking/shopping, b/c I though I had to do that. I just don’t know if I’m thinking about it all the right way…. I haven’t been in Raleigh too long, so I hope to find others in the same climate to figure out what they do.

Attachments

• 177E7529-7616-416C-9D7F-A2EB5A498EAB.jpeg
    177E7529-7616-416C-9D7F-A2EB5A498EAB.jpeg
    678.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Here’s my photos I took of my equipment before I headed to the pool store yesterday…

Attachments

• 1A9C95D6-869B-4B22-AFC4-A9F4B17CB500.jpeg
    1A9C95D6-869B-4B22-AFC4-A9F4B17CB500.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 9FAEC9A4-6505-4B76-AE13-1A57B47A43F9.jpeg
    9FAEC9A4-6505-4B76-AE13-1A57B47A43F9.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 4
  • 676F997C-158A-4628-A3D9-D06FE57F84AB.jpeg
    676F997C-158A-4628-A3D9-D06FE57F84AB.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 4
But were the typical chlorine pools TFP pools?
Often times skin issues from pools are due to elevated cc’s or not properly balanced ph.
Also the “Activate” oxidizer/shock often sold with these systems contains monopersulfate which is a definite irritant. It is mixed with dichlor which is quite acidic & can increase cya to unmanageable levels in short order.

The big permasalt issue is that it introduces/relies on copper on a daily basis to keep algae from growing but copper has no sanitizing properties. If it did they wouldn’t chlorinate the public water supply since everyone has copper pipes lol 😂
The “ideal” copper levels they propose can stain surfaces (like that beautiful liner) & turn blonde hair & fingernails green as it oxidizes. Which is why they need to keep the chlorine low. Customers who look like lady liberty 🗽 are generally unhappy.
Also clear (algae free) water isn’t necessarily free of pathogens 🦠 The top issues of regularly under sanitized water are ear infections & stomach bugs but there are plenty of other pretty narley person to person transmissable illness
Please Get yourself a good test kit (tf100/pro or Taylor k2006c) so u can test often & follow FC/CYA Levels & Recommended Levels
To ensure your pool is sanitary every day for your family not just every couple weeks.

Reactions: Newdude
But were the typical chlorine pools TFP pools?
Often times skin issues from pools are due to elevated cc’s or not properly balanced ph.
Also the “Activate” oxidizer/shock often sold with these systems contains monopersulfate which is a definite irritant. It is mixed with dichlor which is quite acidic & can increase cya to unmanageable levels in short order.

The big permasalt issue is that it introduces/relies on copper on a daily basis to keep algae from growing but copper has no sanitizing properties. If it did they wouldn’t chlorinate the public water supply since everyone has copper pipes lol 😂
The “ideal” copper levels they propose can stain surfaces (like that beautiful liner) & turn blonde hair & fingernails green as it oxidizes. Which is why they need to keep the chlorine low. Customers who look like lady liberty 🗽 are generally unhappy.
Also clear (algae free) water isn’t necessarily free of pathogens 🦠 The top issues of regularly under sanitized water are ear infections & stomach bugs but there are plenty of other pretty narley person to person transmissable illness
Please Get yourself a good test kit (tf100/pro or Taylor k2006c) so u can test often & follow FC/CYA Levels & Recommended Levels
To ensure your pool is sanitary every day for your family not just every couple weeks.
I see the tf-100, but not the tf-100 pro test kit.
I’m kinda worried now that I’m letting my kids swim in something that’s harmful! 😫
My husband did have an issue with his grey chest hairs turning green, which I realize now is the copper. I’ve coincidentally since lowered the copper # on the system… & it hasn’t happened since. I didn’t even realize those 2 things could be related though

there’s so much to learn!! 😕

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support