New to pools..

I think I would purchase a pool locally. If there would be a issue with the purchase you could resolve it much easier than thru an online retailer. If you use a online retailer make sure they actually have a walk in store and not just a online business working from a computer. I purchased online three weeks ago and have a liner issue and no one to support my questions. I had to take the liner out and take the pool down till I get it resolved.

I think I would purchase a pool locally. If there would be a issue with the purchase you could resolve it much easier than thru an online retailer. If you use a online retailer make sure they actually have a walk in store and not just a online business working from a computer. I purchased online three weeks ago and have a liner issue and no one to support my questions. I had to take the liner out and take the pool down till I get it resolved.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My husband talked me into buying locally and it cost us about $2500 more. I would have been happy to pay the extra if I had a good experience with the local pool company. I did not. They were all smiles when I bought the pool but I could not get their installer to come out and look at my land and give me ideas on the installation. That should have been my warning but my husband was adamant about having someone we could go to in case of trouble. The pool was delivered after the installers were already here (the installers were sent by the pool store). Our pool was being put in on May 15th and the pool arrived so late that we almost had to be rescheduled, which would have been, by then, a month later! (We had purchased the pool in January) The pool arrived. We had specified in our contract, written up by the pool company that the pool was to be dug out in the center to a depth of 6 feet. While they were doing the dig we kept thinking and saying that it looked too shallow but the pool installers, again who were from the pool company were adamant that it would be 6 feet. They got the pool installed and left their vacuum here to pull the liner closer to the walls. There was a lot of over hang of liner on the outside of the pool but the installer told us that it was correct. Got the pool filled in a couple of days and then jumped in. The center was only a little over 5 feet deep. We went back to that same all smiles pool company and were told 5 feet is the same as 6 feet and we should have known that and to get lost!!! Lots of battles ensued and obviously we are never going back to that pool company for anything. We had asked our township before we bought the pool that this company was fine but after doing more digging we found that many people had trouble similar to ours with installation and support. I could have saved a couple of thousand dollars by buying online and by hiring my own installers and probably some headaches and gotten what I wanted. I know there are good, honest, pool companies out there but the industry has a lot that are not. You will pay more by buying local and it may be worth it but do A LOT of BACKGROUND checking, not just asking the local authorities (who in my case never give any opinions on anybody as I have found out). Do not assume that buying LOCAL will automatically give you the service or help that you want. I wish someone would have said this to us before we bought!

I'm definitely no expert. But I'm happy to share our experience:

We purchased ours from The Pool Factory. We paid slightly over $4000 for the extruded aluminum construction. Our pool is only 12'x24' so, yes, they're expensive. But The Pool Factory is a great company to deal with. We paid a local guy $1700 to install it for us. He did a superb job of installing the top rail dead level with our existing deck. We were able to have our deck expanded to tie into the pool. It turned out great.

Someplace else NOT to skimp: Get a DE filter. We bought our liner and pump/filter package from Amazon.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't do a thing differently.

My husband talked me into buying locally and it cost us about $2500 more. I would have been happy to pay the extra if I had a good experience with the local pool company. I did not. They were all smiles when I bought the pool but I could not get their installer to come out and look at my land and give me ideas on the installation. That should have been my warning but my husband was adamant about having someone we could go to in case of trouble. The pool was delivered after the installers were already here (the installers were sent by the pool store). Our pool was being put in on May 15th and the pool arrived so late that we almost had to be rescheduled, which would have been, by then, a month later! (We had purchased the pool in January) The pool arrived. We had specified in our contract, written up by the pool company that the pool was to be dug out in the center to a depth of 6 feet. While they were doing the dig we kept thinking and saying that it looked too shallow but the pool installers, again who were from the pool company were adamant that it would be 6 feet. They got the pool installed and left their vacuum here to pull the liner closer to the walls. There was a lot of over hang of liner on the outside of the pool but the installer told us that it was correct. Got the pool filled in a couple of days and then jumped in. The center was only a little over 5 feet deep. We went back to that same all smiles pool company and were told 5 feet is the same as 6 feet and we should have known that and to get lost!!! Lots of battles ensued and obviously we are never going back to that pool company for anything. We had asked our township before we bought the pool that this company was fine but after doing more digging we found that many people had trouble similar to ours with installation and support. I could have saved a couple of thousand dollars by buying online and by hiring my own installers and probably some headaches and gotten what I wanted. I know there are good, honest, pool companies out there but the industry has a lot that are not. You will pay more by buying local and it may be worth it but do A LOT of BACKGROUND checking, not just asking the local authorities (who in my case never give any opinions on anybody as I have found out). Do not assume that buying LOCAL will automatically give you the service or help that you want. I wish someone would have said this to us before we bought!

Thank you for your sharing!

I'm definitely no expert. But I'm happy to share our experience:

We purchased ours from The Pool Factory. We paid slightly over $4000 for the extruded aluminum construction. Our pool is only 12'x24' so, yes, they're expensive. But The Pool Factory is a great company to deal with. We paid a local guy $1700 to install it for us. He did a superb job of installing the top rail dead level with our existing deck. We were able to have our deck expanded to tie into the pool. It turned out great.

Someplace else NOT to skimp: Get a DE filter. We bought our liner and pump/filter package from Amazon.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't do a thing differently.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience [emoji4]

Just to answer some of your other questions. We love our 30 foot round. It is BIG. It gives you 30 feet in length for lap swimming. It can easily swallow up a large party and still leave plenty of room. It is wide in every direction so we rarely shoot the ball out of the pool while playing volleyball. We have a deep middle and everyone appreciates the extra depth.

We have a DE filter and that keeps the water crystal clear. I know others who like sand just as well though. It is really your preference. If you can, I would get a two speed pump for your filter to save on electric. We have used the BBB system from trouble free pool and have had very little algae and little maintenance compared to those who use the "pool" chemicals bought in the store. Our biggest problem is following who has the lowest bleach prices on a weekly basis since chlorine degrades over time. The water feels fine and positively glimmers in the sun. No bleaching issues of swimsuits or anything else. I know others that use salt but, if you are buying a steel pool be very careful that it is rated as safe ofr salt. Many of the salt rated pools have stainless steel panels around the filter due to corrosion.

We live in SE Pennsylvania. We use solar panels on the roof of our garage. Roughly 200 square feet and they keep the water up around 90 from late May to the end of September. We would open earlier and close later but every time we have done that we get pollen, flowers, seeds in massive amounts on the solar cover in the spring, much of which falls into the pool as we roll it up and then by the 2nd week in October the nights are getting too cool and the leaves start falling again onto the cover making clean up a pain!

We love our pool, even with some installation hassles as mentioned above, and live in it all summer. I hope you get exactly the pool that works best for your family and really get many years of joy from it! The work involved is minimal compared to the enjoyment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.