New to pool maintenance...

Pool Remodeling (updated title)

We've had two pool builders visit the pool this week to get started in providing us options for remodeling.

The first one didn't start off well. They scheduled the appointment 10 days out and then didn't show up during the 2 hours window they gave us. When I called the next day the lady said I wasn't showing on their schedule. I said well I've got your card in front of me where you wrote the appointment down. Then she says they had a couple appointments accidentally get deleted and mine must have been one of them. So she asked if I would like to be rescheduled and I was like...sure...I'll try to be there. So they scheduled it for Monday 3 days away with a 4pm-6pm window. So I goto work early so I can be home in time for the appointment. My wife calls midday and says the guy called and is in the area and wants to come by at 1pm. So I said fine and emailed her all the things I'd like to be considered. From what she relayed to me about the appointment I'm just not liking what I'm hearing. He had no ideas for remodeling the area and said basically they just do the pool surface, deck, and pump/filter and anything else we want done would need to be sub-contracted out so we might as well save money and find the subcontractors ourself.

The day after the first failed appointment I was upset so we started calling other pool builders and finally got one that seemed interested in renovation work. He scheduled to come out on Tuesday the day after the other guy was coming. I was able to be there for the appointment and really liked everything I was hearing and he had some ideas for things I could improve that I hadn't even thought about because I thought it would be too hard to do with an existing pool. He was like hey once we drain it we can do pretty much anything you want. He suggested we could cut a hole in the deck for our fill valve and have it down in a skimmer type hole instead of out in the side of the pool where it's visible and he also offered to install a suction port so I could run my Kreepy dedicated instead of having to re-config the skimmer each time I hook it up.

The second pool builder was really impressed with my water. He said wow your water is so clear you must be a chemist or something. I said yeah I took over my pool maintenance a couple months ago and I basically follow what I learned at a website called Trouble Free Pools. I told him I never shock my pool I just test FC and pH daily and I add bleach or liquid chlorine to the pool to maintain my free chlorine level and I add muriatic acid every two or three days to keep the pH in check. So as we were discussing options I mentioned I was considering installing an SWG when I upgrade. He was really pushing me away from going with that. He said he built his personal pool to be a saltwater pool and ended up converting it back to chlorine but he didn't give any details of what his complaints were. But then he started pushing what he uses on his personal pool now which is something he called an ozone chlorinator or something like that. He described it as something that can kill off the bad part of the chloramines and leaves the chlorine free to go back into the pool and do it's job. So I asked how does chlorine get added to the pool and he described something that sounded like a puck cartridge. I said well everything I've learned teaches me that any type of puck or powder is going to add more unwanted byproducts to the pool than bleach. So I started asking him how does he keep his CYA level from going through the roof and he said he doesn't even know what the CYA number is and that he doesn't worry about because his pool always looks great. I was like yeah but you did seem to be impressed with the results I have in my pool water before I told you how I was maintaining it. So anyways he was real polite about it and said well I'll just leave the ozone thing on there as an option for you to consider.

Re: New to pool maintenance...about to give up

From what I've read of Ozone feeders and such, my understanding is that they may work but are much more expensive to operate than chlorine. I think the reason is that it is a sanitizer but not an oxidizer or algaecide. Chlorine covers all three of these in one chemical, so make sure you get all the facts before deciding.

Regarding pH, I wonder if it is worth it to fight it so hard. If I lower my pH to 7.2ish, it will rise over a few days back to 7.8 or so and stay in that neighborhood. I think that is where my pool likes to live, and since that is still in range I finally just left it alone. I check it every three days or so, no issues.

I think we should be careful about chasing an exact number, and worry more about simply keeping things in range. Just some food for thought, maybe try it for a bit and see what happens.

Yeah regarding the pH I was thinking I might need to stop adding MA and see what happens because originally my TA was fairly steady around 100 and now that I've been lowering pH consisently it's dropped to around 70 to 80.

Well I was trying to keep everything in my original thread and just update the title so people wouldn't whine about a new thread but it seems to just revert back to the original title so now I'm talking about things that have nothing to do with the original title.

You have to change the title on the first post ... although does not really matter.

Interesting conversation you had with him ... Impressed with your water and then wanting you to convert to his system which obviously does not provide the same clear water :hammer:

Ok thanks Jason....I just didn't like it sounding like I'm still "about to give up"....lol.

Yeah I liked most of what he was saying about the actual construction ideas. When it came to the chlorine discussion I swear when he started talking about the ozone chlorinator idea he began by saying something along the lines of "well I don't real smell any issues here like it smelling like bleach..." I was like "if I'm keeping my chlorine at the right levels you're not gonna smell anything".

Remembering more about the conversation I told him we originally used a pool company that was using chlorine gas but that they were only coming every 2 weeks and the condition would decline in-between. I made the statement that I thought using chlorine gas was the best thing you could use and he stopped me and said no thats like the worst thing you can use because its so harsh on the pool surface. I said something like "well I thought it was the purest form to get chlorine into the pool and the gas dissolves into the water". The conversation shifted away from chlorine gas at that point. But all in all I liked his attitude he just had different ideas about how to maintain the water and he was still polite when giving his ideas.

I had the same pool company that only came every 2 weeks ... even in the AZ summer :hammer: Never liked the quality of the water, either the FC was WAY high or was gone and the water quality dropping. When I took over the pool, they had my CYA above 300ppm :shock: I replaced almost all of the water and it has never been clearer.

Chlorine gas is great for pool maintenance, but not available to the general public. It never even comes in contact with the pool surface.

Had a funny thing happen this past weekend. Since I got the Solar Breeze Robotic Skimmer I quit running the Kreepy full time since less stuff makes it to the bottom so I hook it up and run it every few days. So I was outside to reconfigure the skimmer. To hook up the Kreepy I drop in a plate that has some type of spring loaded thing with a port for attaching the end of the Kreepy hose. So I remove the skimmer cover and there is a small amount of stuff in the basket so I pulled the basket out to dump it real quick. I swear it seemed like someone was watching me pull it out to time this cause it wasn't 2 seconds after I pulled the basket that the pump timer kicked the pump on which wouldn't have been a big deal except that I immediately see a huge dead frog start swirling around the skimmer and gets sucked right into the pipe. I was yelling "You've got to be kidding me." I couldn't believe the timing. If the pump turned on 15 seconds earlier or later the basket would have been in place to catch the frog. It apparently was dead and floating just out of sight to the left underneath the 8" section between the pool and the skimmer. I ran over and cut the pump off...opened up the pump cover and luckily the frog was caught in that basket. I was afraid it might get stuck in the pipe and I would need to wait for chlorine to decompose it. And if I didn't see it happen I'd probably have been here later with one of those magically disappearing FC threads...lol.

How does a pool service company come every two weeks and use chlorine gas? My plant makes chlorine, and we use chlorine gas in our cooling towers to prevent algae. It kicks on and off to maintain a chlorine level in the water. What did they do; just blast it and come back in two weeks?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Great job and congrats on the chemist comments from PB.

Gil, maybe read thru the information in pool school and some big threads regarding adding borates to your pool. It is known to buffer ph changes. It can also provide very subjective and debated water quality improvements.

That, or let it drift and see if it stops in the upper range of acceptable, and if so let it be.

How does a pool service company come every two weeks and use chlorine gas? My plant makes chlorine, and we use chlorine gas in our cooling towers to prevent algae. It kicks on and off to maintain a chlorine level in the water. What did they do; just blast it and come back in two weeks?

Yeah when we had that company the water would look good the week after they serviced and then get cloudy the second week. And if it rained it would change color immediately.

Great job and congrats on the chemist comments from PB.

Gil, maybe read thru the information in pool school and some big threads regarding adding borates to your pool. It is known to buffer ph changes. It can also provide very subjective and debated water quality improvements.

That, or let it drift and see if it stops in the upper range of acceptable, and if so let it be.

Yeah I think I've read through most of the reference info on this website. I had already had the idea to add borates but I was holding off because I'm looking into resurfacing the pool and didn't want to spend the money to get the borates up and have them drain the pool a month later.

So I think it's been a week since I put any muriatic acid in the pool. It seems like pH is staying at 7.8 but I'll keep an eye on it. My TA is 70. I started with TA of 100 when I began trying to get my pH to stabilize at 7.5 but it seems like my pool prefers 7.8.

I thought this is kinda interesting. My pump died just over two weeks ago so I haven't run the pump in 2 weeks+. I initially used up the last few gallons of bleach I had on hand using one every couple of days. I still have the Solar Breeze robotic skimmer so I started sticking tri-chlor tabs in that every few days. Kinda amazing the water is still crystal clear even though the pump hasn't run in 2 weeks in 100 degree temperatures. There is a little bit of trash collecting on the bottom but not too bad since the Solar Breeze keeps most stuff from reaching the bottom.

So before you think I'm crazy letting it go that long and using tri-chlor tabs. When the pump died I had just signed a contract to have my pool renovated so I knew it wasn't long before they were going to completely drain my pool. So I figured it's a good time to use up some of those tabs I still had in the garage. I thought it would be fun to see how long the pool would stay clear using only the tabs and not running the pump and I didn't want them to see a green mess when they showed up to drain the pool. I guess this shows if you have your pool fairly stable it doesn't take much to keep it that way even when the pump dies. I've only tested the water every 3 or 4 days out of curiosity and I've been surprised how well the readings have done. The pH actually is doing so much better. It usually was creeping up to 8+ and now it settled back at 7.6.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.