New to having a pool/trouble with chemicals

andyc821

Jun 4, 2019
Manchester, NH
Hello everyone!

I am new to pool ownership and have some questions on how to get my pool chemicals where they need to be. My in ground pool is ~24,000 gallons with a DE filter. Currently, the pool was just vacuumed and is pretty much spotless and Crystal clear.

Now to the trouble. I need to find the easiest way to get my chorine and CYA to effective levels. Both are currently at 0. My pH is also low but I am working on that with Soda Ash. I have been researching the 3" chlorine tablets that have the CYA built into it, but am weary to use them due to the possibility of having too high of a CYA level as others have had. Are these worth it, or should I use a standalone stabilizer and use liquid chlorine every week?

Thanks for any info you can provide!!

Welcome to the forum!
It is best to just use stabilizer/CYA and chlorine. When you are going to be away from the pool for a few days then use the trichlor.
Add 30 ppm worth of CYA using the sock method. Raise you FC to 3ppm right now and tomorrow, after getting the sock in the pool with the CYA, follow the FC/CYA Levels.

What test kit are you using?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

We recommend using the "stand alone" stabilizer until you reach your desired level of around 50ppm and liquid chlorine daily. You'll love how the DE filters your water. I have one myself. Just don't let your chemistry get away from you. You should read the ABCs of pool water chemistry. And look into purchasing a recommended test kit. You'll get the best bang for your buck with the TF100. They can be ordered through tftestkits.net.

Thanks for the replies! I will definitely go and read those sections again. I had a water tested from a pool store, which in retrospect was a terrible idea. I'll be looking into a better test kit, but currently have some strips that will show my chlorine levels, pH, and CYA.

Is there a "recommended" amount of chlorine to add daily based on my pool size? I've read some people will use chlorine weekly.

You really need to get accurate results with the 2 test kit's we reccomend. We can't honestly give you solid suggestions without knowing your numbers. It's like pinning the tail on the donkey but the donkey went missing. Guess strips and pool store testing are unreliable.

I’m close to you, on the NH Seacoast. You have Ocean State Job Lot, which is a life saver for liquid chlorine. Full gallons of 12.5% for $2.99 each. No dates on the bottle, but they’ve always been fresh.

Until you get your test kit, add 1/2 bottle of the 12.5% liquid chlorine per day. Once you’ve tested, we can guide you from there.

BTW, don’t get your stabilizer at Ocean State. Theirs is Crud. Go to Walmart. It’s the only thing I buy at Walmart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.