new to forum, pool light discoloration

May 22, 2016
Fort Pierce
About 8 months ago I noticed the light ring turning a dark color. Its a PENTAIR intellibrite 5G LED, the light engine burned out, when I took it out of the pool the ring was a dark gray and copper color. So I took a water sample to the pool store, they checked it and said the chemicals were fine, she then did a salt test and it was 2000 ppm, the pool is not salt water, and the only way to fix is to drain out a lot of water and refill with fresh water to get the salt ppm down. The pool was put in in 1989 had it resurfaced in 2013 and never had this problem until 8 months ago. I have a pool company come once a week 12 months a year. Can anyone tell me what my problem is and how I can fix it before I put the light back in so it wont occur again. And how to clean the ring. Thanks

IMG_1090.jpgIMG_1091.jpg

Welcome to TFP!

Your salt at 2000ppm wouldn't have been a problem. It actually makes the water feel better.

Unless your pH has been really low, I'd guess your light problem is electrical. You probably have current flowing through the pool removing metal from the trim ring. The problem may be related to the light or totally unrelated.

I'd recommend contacting local pool companies to get their recommendations on good electricians with pool experience. This has the potential to be a life-threatening situation.

there is a sacrificial anoid [ spelling ? ] you can buy at most pool supply , if they don't have one they can order one, that being said you stated you had pool service for awhile, ive seen the light ring suffer when people pour acid in close to the light ,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.