Gold Supporter
May 15, 2019
Bridgewater, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello Everyone. First time pool owner. Recently bought a house that came with a pool. Pic is from last year when we bought the house. Right now the pool is covered. Looking to open for the new season. I have zero knowledge about this and not sure what should I do. Should I try to open the pool myself or hire a company. Previous owner said he never covered the pool in the off season. I ended up paying Close to $5K to get a new cover installed and close the pool for winter season. How much would it cost to open the pool? 101361pool dimensions.jpegpool4.jpegPool1.jpg101358101359

Jain,

Welcome to TFP and you have a gorgeous pool! Can you please add more information in your "signature"? Click on the name top right, then click "signature" again then fill out the form. Make sure to enter brand/model for equipment, capacity of pool etc. Don't forget to SAVE. While you do that I'll get an expert on pool opening. He can help a lot on this @mknauss and I'm sure the answer will depend a lot on the condition when you open and how you closed.

Good luck!

Chris

Welcome to the forum!
I will profess that I am NOT the person to speak to about opening a pool after winterization!! I live in the SW Desert!
But - no despair - start a new thread in Swimming Pool Start-up and Closing and members will help you out.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.
Sorry Marty, I've seen you help so many with problems on this I thought you were an expert... should have checked!

Chris

How do I add images to my own gallery so i can add it to my Signature.
I just open the pool over the long weekend. It was pretty clear. Pool floor was dirty with left over leafs and lot of worms looking thing sitting on the floor. Not sure how so many got in. Guy I hired to open the pool used a separate pump to clean out the floor gunk and also ended up dumping water out of the pool. Adding more water back in now to bring it back to normal level. He also did the water test and give me this numbers: Chlorine - .5ppm, PH - 8+, Alkalinity - 70, Calcium Hardness - 180, Stabilizer - 50. Told me to get Muriatic acid to lower the PH, Sodium bicarbonate to raise alkalinity and Calcium flakes to raise the calcium hardness.

Thanks xJustXJordanx. I just bought this house in October and moved in December. Never had a pool. I assume we can enjoy the pool from June to early September. Pool also has a heater attached but hoping i don't have to use it.