New "Swimmer's" Pool in Houston Texas

I hear you on just leaving it alone. If our decking was going to be concrete or something without perpendicular lines, I probably would just try to get some compensation from the builder. However, we're doing travertine tiles, which would make it pretty obvious that the pool isn't square to the house.

Travertine tiles definitely makes a difference then. Id probably want it fixed too.

Reactions: kimkats
it looks like it would be noticeable either way to me. If it was just an inch or two, and off but only if you took a tape measure out everytime you looked, ok then, suck it up, nothing in the world is perfect. With the amount of your hard earned money they just took, I’d only be ok with unnoticeable.

UPDATE: The crew fixed the position of the pool. They gunited around 1/3 of the floor yesterday, despite knowing that the pool was out of position. As you can imagine, I'd prefer that they rip everything out and start from fresh ground. The excavation company wants to to drill holes into the slab 4 inches deep and insert rebar to tie into the rest of the pool.

I believe rebar CAN be used to tie into an existing slab, but I'm not sure that I trust the crew to do it properly. The construction super for the PB is supposed to call me, and I'm sure to convince me that it's fine to tie into the existing slab.

I did water the slab this morning and will again after the crew leaves for the day, just in case this does end up being part of the pool. I figured there would be construction issues with building a pool, but I never envisioned this one.

IMG_3184.jpegIMG_3186.jpeg

UPDATE: The crew fixed the position of the pool. They gunited around 1/3 of the floor yesterday, despite knowing that the pool was out of position. As you can imagine, I'd prefer that they rip everything out and start from fresh ground. The excavation company wants to to drill holes into the slab 4 inches deep and insert rebar to tie into the rest of the pool.

I believe rebar CAN be used to tie into an existing slab, but I'm not sure that I trust the crew to do it properly. The construction super for the PB is supposed to call me, and I'm sure to convince me that it's fine to tie into the existing slab.

I did water the slab this morning and will again after the crew leaves for the day, just in case this does end up being part of the pool. I figured there would be construction issues with building a pool, but I never envisioned this one.

View attachment 128937View attachment 128938
Force them to pull everything out and do new steel and no existing gunite, I am sure a few of the builders will chime in. If it was my pool that is what I would do.

John

@bdavis466 Would you want the floor ripped out? My gut and previous similar responses says not to worry with proper tying in of rebar. Commercial pools are poured in multiple days.

Hindsight would have had me keep the same outer wall and move the inner wall. Trapezoidal = cool = extra space.

Your pool will be perfect when finished. Except for what isn't (it will be something).

Pool was dug wrong (crooked) with pool floor partially shot already. Then re-dug straight.

The edges of the gunite have these pieces of rebar. Does anyone know what these are for? They're only on the edges that will have decking next to them. The far edge of the pool will be next to grass, and that side doesn't have any of this rebar.

IMG_3264.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The travertine decking is down! Two day job and the crew did a good job from what I can tell. It’s so nice to be able to walk in the backyard again, and now the dogs can use the yard too.

The dig started on March 2nd, so seem like things have been moving very quickly. The PB isn’t promising anything, but I’m hoping for plaster next week.

0A0EFD88-3ED9-4F5D-A54D-E29416B521FF.jpeg
874007C5-C5CC-4A49-9BC4-9A3F9FDC91F8.jpeg

They really did do a good job. I was rinsing off some of the sand they used to lock the pavers in place, and the deck is slightly sloped towards the drains, so the water drains pretty quickly.

Before the virus lockdown, I was swimming 3 times a week and had to stop cold turkey since my gym shut down. I cannot wait to get this pool ready.

Just getting it cleaned up had to feel good THEN they leveled it too??? SWEET! I LOVE that shot withe drone!!

Kim:kim:

That drone has come in so handy. I bought it to use on vacations, but I even used it last week to inspect the roofing on the second floor to find a leak.

I was pretty surprised that the PB brought in dirt and leveled the yard. I thought the clean up crew literally was just going to pick up the trash. Landscaping is my responsibility under the contract, so I was expecting to have a nice pool but a disaster of a yard when the PB was finished. This was a nice surprise.

• Love
Reactions: Locotl and kimkats
Another big day today, and I’m almost at the finish line. For background, excavation started on March 2nd, and I’m at the plaster stage less than 7 weeks later. I’ve never had a pool before, but seems like this has moved along pretty quickly as far as pools go.

The plaster went down today, Pebble Sheen Blue Surf a/k/a Blue Smurf. I can see why it has that nickname now. The crew showed up around 7:30 am and were finished around 1:30. The catch basin looks pretty nasty (see pic below). Acid wash is tomorrow and then we start the fill.

The engineer in me timed how long it took to fill two 5 gallon buckets simultaneously using the backyard faucets. Based on that, my flow rate is around 750 gallons / hour. That puts me around 34 hours to fill this 25K gallon pool.

C67EDA15-68B3-450B-81E3-13A8EF5F3E39.jpeg
A655AEE7-5982-441B-9509-61951ECBCB87.jpeg
FE5E8590-34B2-4703-BAF2-CFD7D7FC53DF.jpeg
A0316182-0169-4B34-902F-F15262193D40.jpeg
BD915DDB-CC35-4D5F-B777-CC3C8B617C0D.jpeg
98ADCB80-64CE-4268-BC53-96ACB369737A.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.