New "Swimmer's" Pool in Houston Texas

She’s filled! Blue Surf is very turquoise under cloudy skies. The Pebble Sheen looks a little mottled and uneven (see photo of stairs below), but it’s not bad, and expected from what I understand.

I brushed the pool for the first time, whew what a workout. I didn‘t actually see any plaster dust though. It wasn’t sunny at the time, but I was expecting to see some cloudy water or residue as I was brushing.

View attachment 133370

View attachment 133371
It looks GREAT! What is the border between the coping and grass? I like the look.

It looks GREAT! What is the border between the coping and grass? I like the look.

Thanks! It’s small rocks held in by plastic edging. I wanted a barrier between the grass and the pool decking and coping. It looks good, but if I had to do it over again, I would have gone with larger pebbles. These tend to get flung around, mainly by my dogs running through them.

Reactions: Nectarologist
Update - landscaping is finally finished, so here’s what the pool looks like now. Our SWCG hasn’t been working correctly, which I’m still sorting out with the PB. I’ve been using liquid chlorine in the meantime.

Pool has been great. We use it pretty much every day.

View attachment 149612
View attachment 149614
Hi! What kind of umbrella do you have there under the cover? I love that it has a cover. Thx and I love your pool! Mine will be a shorter version! :giggle:

Hi! What kind of umbrella do you have there under the cover? I love that it has a cover. Thx and I love your pool! Mine will be a shorter version! :giggle:

Thanks! I bought the umbrella from Costco.com and had it delivered to the house. Look up SunVilla. The cover is very well designed. And the base has 4 separate containers you fill with water for stability, and a single large cosmetic cover that goes over all the containers so that it looks seamless.

Reactions: TexasRain
I didn't read all the posts but you're in Houston and I'm familiar with your area. We lived in Katy for 18 years.

Do you plan to swim at night in the dark? The reason I ask is we had a pool in Victoria, TX for seven years. One night I swam in the dark, pool light on, and all the bugs swarmed above the pool. If that wasn't bad enough, a bat was swooping down, capturing said bugs. Needless to say, that was my only nighttime swim.

So with that in mind, there are other ways to spot light the pool. There's so many choices: Solar lights, lanterns, and spot lights from the house or landscaping. I personally think pool lights are highly over rated and won't have any in our next pool. I also won't swim in the dark!

Hello! I'm glad you commented on TexasRain's build...I was looking for yours a few months ago but I couldn't find it! I am getting a 50' pool, thinking about putting a tile lane on the floor as well. Did you put anything (like a tile) on the wall where you flip? Also, do you remember what brand the stone that is on your water feature wall is? I'm having trouble finding something that I like.

If that wasn't bad enough, a bat was swooping down, capturing said bugs
We had bats at the last house. It was haaaaaard to rationalize that they were swooping out all the mosquitos just above our heads everytime at dusk. So. Very. Hard. :ROFLMAO:

Hello! I'm glad you commented on TexasRain's build...I was looking for yours a few months ago but I couldn't find it! I am getting a 50' pool, thinking about putting a tile lane on the floor as well. Did you put anything (like a tile) on the wall where you flip? Also, do you remember what brand the stone that is on your water feature wall is? I'm having trouble finding something that I like.

We didn’t put a tile on the vertical wall for flipping. I do flip turns but I don’t really need it. I rely on the solid row of tiles at the end of the lane, which has worked fine. The hardest part of picking the floor tiles was the color. We wanted to be able to see it but didn’t want it to stand out too much. We actually ended up matching it a little too well, so it can be hard to see the tiles when swimming. It’s fine but I might have picked a little darker tile if I could do it over again.

I found photos of our tile samples, and the company is Keystone Tile. Our waterfall tiles are called Tuscany Rustic.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: TampaKathy
Hi, how has your experience been so far with the heat pump/chiller? I've heard they don't heat the pool as well as a regular heat pump but can be worth the trade off to be able to chill your pool in the summer. Thanks!
The heat pump is 'okay.' The heat pump uses a lot of electricity for both heating and cooling, and is pretty slow at heating. But it does work.

If I had to do it over again, I think I would do a gas heater and a separate chiller. Gas heats up a lot faster, and a dedicated chiller is pretty cheap to run.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.