Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Hi All,

I am trying to figure out why I’m using 1gal of muriatic acid per week to maintain my pH balance. My pool builder said I should not be having to use more than 1/2gal per month.

I had a pool installed in July with a professional service maintaining it for the first month as part of a startup service. In Aug, we added the salt and I took over maintenance.

I’ve been following TFP’s recommendations for a SWG pool (Link) and currently have:

FC 4-6 ppm
PH 7.4
TA 90
CH 330
CYA 70
Salt 3700 ppm
Borates 40

Any thoughts or recommendations? I appreciate the help!

Welcome to the forum!
What type of pool do you have (plaster, vinyl, fiberglass) and what is the volume? Please fill out your signature.
It takes whatever amount of acid it takes to control the pH. Keep it in the 7's. What strength of acid are you using?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks! I updated my signature, sorry about that.

My acid is 31.45% strength. I have 18,000gal pool that is plaster.

I understand alkalinity is a buffer for pH. My builder says I need to keep TA around 120, but TFP is recommending a much lower level. What’s the downside of increasing TA with a SWG?

Thanks! I updated my signature, sorry about that.

You will drive yourself crazy trying to keep a high TA of 120 and your pH in the 7's. It is not chemically compatible. The pool stores use higher TA levels as most of their customers use trichlor pucks and granules.

Keep the TA above 50 ppm. Most important is your CSI. PoolMath calculates that. Keep it between 0 and -0.3 and your plaster will be fine, you will limit waterline scale, and your SWCG will stay scale free.

Reactions: Brazillianguy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.