New Superflo VS Pump - Air bubbles from return jets

Jul 15, 2013
Germantown, TN
Hi All...hope everyone is great and can help guide me in the right direction.

I recently upgraded my old 1.5Hp single-speed system with a new Pentair Superflow VS. The install went as well as can be expected considering I've never done it before. I fired up the pump and watched in anticipation, expecting to see leaks at every PVC joint. To my surprise all looked good. No drips or leaks anywhere on the pad where all of my equipment is.

The issue is that when the pump is running at low speed, there's a fifty-cent piece sized air bubble in the strainer basket cover and I can see air bubbles coming out of one of the return jets in the pool. When the pump spins up to high speed the bubble seems to go away in the strainer basket and I can't see any bubbles at the jets....though it's definitely tougher to see since the water is more agitated coming out of the jet at high speed.

The strange thing is that when I check the pump in the morning before it starts the basket is still full of water. Like all the way to the top with no bubbles full. The pump shuts off at 10pm and starts at 8am. So at 7am it's been sitting in the off position for 9 hours. If I had a leak I would assume that after 9 hours all of the water would be drained out of my basket and I'd have to re-prime.

What do you experts think?

Clip of bubbles:

Clip of strainer basket lid:

A good explanation in the Wiki linked above.

A SWCG creates chlorine and hydrogen gas. The chlorine gas goes is absorbed into the water instantly. The hydrogen gas comes out of the returns with the water flow.

Thanks. So your guess is that the bubbles were always there and it was just harder to see when my old single-speed pump was going full blast all the time? What do you think about the fact that I've got an air bubble at low speeds at the strainer basket that disappears at high speeds?

The single speed pump shot the bubbles out such that you did not see them.

A bubble under the pump basket cover with a vs pump at low rpm is normal.

Thank you so much for your help!
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.