New stock tank....

I just set up a stock tank pool. My numbers from yesterday are:
FC 15
pH 8
TA 140
CH 0
CYA 0

Just tested FC this morning and it's back to 0.

My questions are... in Pool Math what should I set the pool type to be? Galvanized is not an option. How long is Muriatic Acid good for? I have a bottle from a few years ago, is it still usable or should I buy new? How long should I run the pump? Best to run during the day or at night? What, if anything, do I need to watch out for or keep an eye on regarding the galvanized inside?

Last edited:
I would treat it as a plaster pool and keep an eye on the CH levels to keep the scaling in check by keeping a close eye on the CSI. Vinyl pools don't worry too much about their CH levels. That is why I suggest the plaster. Oh wait! Maybe fiberglass would be better??? I am not sure as you can tell. I will reach out to someone who may know better than I @JoyfulNoise

My questions are... in Pool Math what should I set the pool type to be? Galvanized is not an option.
I don’t think it matters a lot.

How long is Muriatic Acid good for? I have a bottle from a few years ago, is it still usable or should I buy new?
Use the bottle and test 30 minutes after to see effects.

How long should I run the pump? Best to run during the day or at night?

What, if anything, do I need to watch out for or keep an eye on regarding the galvanized inside?

Rust?

Galvanized steel is an excellent choice in most situations where water exposure may occur, but it tends to perform poorly when exposed to salt water. The salt renders the zinc coating ineffective and will ultimately result in a rusted product.

Liquid chlorine adds salt which accumulates in the water. It may become a problem with your galvanized steel.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.