New startup SWG

jerryp520

May 3, 2020
York PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Quick couple of questions about starting up a SWG. Last weekend we had an iChlor 30 installed and I’m eager to fire it up. I have a few questions regarding startup. What’s the minimum water temperature and will that effect the performance? Should I use the salt that the pool store sold us?(bag claims to be 99.8%) Are there any easy to understand guides for setting the desired parameters for the salt cell? I should add that our water temperature is 67 and on the rise. Thanks!

Your current water temp should be adequate enough for the SWG to operate. It fluctuates, but they become questionable at 60 or below. No reason to not use the salt the pool store sold you, but don't add it all at once. Use the PoolMath APP to calculate how much salt you need and shoot for the lower end of the required salt level because if you have been using liquid chlorine for a while you probably already have some salt in the water. You can always add more later. Salt must mix 24 hours before using the SWG. If you don't have a Taylor K-1766 salt drop test kit you probably should think about getting one. You should've received a manual with the SWG, but a couple tips and links below should help.

- Be sure you have increased the CYA to about 70 ppm in preparation for the SWG. Also use enough liquid chlorine to get the FC to your desired range (i.e. 4-6). See FC/CYA Levels
- Turn on SWG and set output % to a desired level. Maybe about 30%-50% at first then monitor FC each day to see if that's too high or low.
- Remember the SWG is only adding FC when the pump is on, so your pump run time (along with output) is influencing how much FC is generated.

Reactions: jerryp520
Nothing to add, really, but just wanted to say hello to a fellow York County'er! We bought our SWG last year and absolutely love it - you will too once you get it dialed in. It takes a little trial and error at first, but it made pool care SO EASY last year. Enjoy! :wave:

Reactions: jerryp520
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.