New SoCal IG shotcrete pool build - equipment set, Final Inspection Passed, Pebble Done! Salt added. Back deck in process

What kind of stone is that coping?
It is a quartzite stone. Storm mountain from southwest boulder and stone. We are using the matching ledger stone as well for the bond wall and raised spa.

I LOVE how they are doing to coping! NO triangles!! LOVE IT!!

That tile is one of my all time favs!!!

What color of mortar? There is white, light gray, and dark gray. Get some paint sample cards and lay them under the tile out in the yard to see which color combo you like the best.

What color grout? White will make each tile POP where gray (light to medium) will help them blend in together. Both are very pretty so you can go wrong. They should have grout sticks for you to play with to see which color you like the best.

Kim

I LOVE how they are doing to coping! NO triangles!! LOVE IT!!

That tile is one of my all time favs!!!

What color of mortar? There is white, light gray, and dark gray. Get some paint sample cards and lay them under the tile out in the yard to see which color combo you like the best.

What color grout? White will make each tile POP where gray (light to medium) will help them blend in together. Both are very pretty so you can go wrong. They should have grout sticks for you to play with to see which color you like the best.

Kim:kim:
We are leaning towards dark grey mortar since it will blend the natural stone coping with the faux rock. Probably a light gray or white on the grout , the tile is the jewelry where everything else is muted natural colors the tile I'm hoping will pop!

Coping just about done as is the stacked stone for the bond wall. Stacked stone is stopped short on the spa as we are contemplating taking an idea we found on here and elevating the deck south of the spa with a retaining wall with built in seat.IMG_20211031_132045.jpgIMG_20211031_132053.jpgIMG_20211031_132428.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211031_132010.jpg
    IMG_20211031_132010.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
Pb is pushing back on the step tile trim saying it's not needed with pebble and looks dated. I like the look and think it adds to safety by delineating the steps, is there a general consensus? We built an east cost Victorian with lap siding amd a crawl space in an area dominated by Spanish stucco on slabs so I have no issue being different lol.

I wish my step tiles were more visible. They match the plaster too well. Your pool, your choice. I hate hearing about PB's trying to push matters of opinion on customers.

--Jeff

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pb is pushing back on the step tile trim saying it's not needed with pebble and looks dated. I like the look and think it adds to safety by delineating the steps, is there a general consensus? We built an east cost Victorian with lap siding amd a crawl space in an area dominated by Spanish stucco on slabs so I have no issue being different lol.
My builder said the same thing, but I also like the look! I'm having them do it anyway.

I like the look and think it adds to safety by delineating the steps, is there a general consensus
I think they look always look amazing. If they happen to save a face plant down the road that’s just icing on the cake. It’s one thing if folks fall into the pool, Woohoo and jokes all around. But if a kid jumps in from the side and misjudged the landing, Nothing quite ruins a get together like a trip to the ER with a busted tooth.

Update, interestingly enough it didnt take much pushback as the guys showed up with all of the tile material, including the step liners, this afternoon! Clearly he must have purchased it before he pushed back lol
They had done the first waterproofing stage and did the second one today

Tile and coping is complete and we really do love it! The completion did reveal an issue that they are working on repairing, the forms must have settled during shotcrete such that the top of the bond beam was not level over the length. They adjust to the high spot which then made the skimmer too low. They are now jackhammering out the skimmer to re-level it. This also meant the pool is now deeper than plan which given the water feature I am ok with. Parusing thru TFP led me to an old Las Vegas project that sparked an addition so we have added @50ft of retaining wall to the contract and an elevated seating area next to the spa so they are currently excavating for those walls.
IMG_20211105_110249.jpgIMG_20211105_110257.jpg

It's been a while since the last update as several weeks of rain caused progress to stop from Thanksgiving until after the new year. Forward progress has started again and we just had the deck poured. We stopped short on the concrete as I have not yet decided the exact placement of the outdoor kitchen on the south end of the house. We have hot/cold water, electrical, gas and ethernet that I need to bring up at the final resting place of the outdoor kitchen.
org_adeb04f887f494b1_1642448126000.jpgorg_2d0479d49156bb05_1642448166000.jpgorg_0a3a692802cc9d00_1642448220000.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of cleanup going on and the pile of construction debris is finally gone. Attaching a night photo of some of the lighting for now. Mr16 rgbw smart bulbs in all the lighting so we can co tril them individually or in groups and change to any combination of colors or white.20220121_204646.jpg20220121_204714.jpg

Quite a bit more work done today! Yes @kimkwe love the detail, it's quite interesting to watch as it really looks terrible until they get it done lol. I work from home and midday today went out and was frightened at the way the seating area looked but took a deep breathe and went back inside to wait till they were done and bam, love it lol.20220211_134733.jpgorg_1d7d90deae070d77_1644617064000.jpgorg_7545aa97fe5574bc_1644617130000.jpgorg_96c5566c7f11d41e_1644617162000.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.