New skimmer install

lockoutmonkey420

May 22, 2022
Tulsa OK
First post from a semi long time pool owner.
We're installing a new liner and skimmer soon and I wondered about a few things.
It's a doughboy skimmer And extension that also comes with a new return. The return comes with a cover for the eye but no cover for the skimmer itself. Do we need to purchase the skimmer cover and faceplate and if so which type do y'all recommend.
I've never used the cover mainly because I thought the return eye was fixed. I never knew there was a cover. I didn't want to change the faceplate to accept the one to accept the cover because of potential liner damage. Now I can change it if it'll be beneficial since a new liner is necessary.
Usually we drain below the skimmer and return in the winter. I have often wondered about plugging the skimmer and return and covering the pool with an inner tube underneath to shed water and debris.

I don’t close, since I’m in FL. But i use a plug that fits in the bottom of the skimmer (in the opening for the hose) if I need to lock water flow without draining below skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.