New Sand Filter

It will pull in water from the pool but doesn't send it back to the pool. When you rinse or backwash, water goes out the waste port. If it goes back into the pool then the multi-port valve has a problem. You can see the procedure here:

Reactions: collinsj102
Thank you! It turns out, I removed the wrong cap when I went to backwash and rinse my filter for first time use. After looking at the manual again, I see that I removed the drain cap. Now my pool is cloudy, which I assume is sand?

Will I have to add more sand to my pump now?

I went ahead and did another backwash and rinse out to my yard just to see what would happen and some sand came out.

I guess it depends on how much sand we're talking about. If it's only a little, you should be able to slowly vacuum it up off the floor. The cloudiness will hopefully get pulled-in to the filter. But I would watch the FC level closely today to ensure the heavy organic load pushed into the water doesn't try to start an algae bloom. Stay on the higher end of your FC target zone based on your currnet CYA.

I guess it depends on how much sand we're talking about. If it's only a little, you should be able to slowly vacuum it up off the floor. The cloudiness will hopefully get pulled-in to the filter. But I would watch the FC level closely today to ensure the heavy organic load pushed into the water doesn't try to start an algae bloom. Stay on the higher end of your FC target zone based on your currnet CYA.

Thanks. I'm not sure how much of the sand got in the pool. I guess I will have to open the sand filter and see how much is left in it.

I may add some floc to see if it helps.

You should never use FLOC in normal operations.

If you are very experienced and have a dire situation after a flood, then FLOC has been used but massive amounts need to be vacuumed to waste.

Okay, that makes sense. I think the filter is going to clean it up pretty well

I have one last question. If I run a backwash hose out to my outside drain, is it safe to leave it connected to the filter all the time? The manual says to replace the cap after backwashing and rinsing, so I'm not sure if I can leave the hose connected.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
is it safe to leave it connected to the filter all the time?
Many owners have a backwash connected all the time. Of course some are hard-plumbed with PVC. For flex hoses, they may just roll it up so it's out of the way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.