New Sand Filter Wont Backwash

For years I used sand filters and never had a problem with them. With the new pool (5 years ago) the filter included was a cartridge filter. After 5 years with the cartridge I have been dying to go back to a sand filter. After reading about saltwater chlorinators, I ordered the Intex SWCG and a 3000 gph sand filter system. I'm still waiting for delivery of the SWCG but I received and set up the filter. It started cleaning like gangbusters! I was thrilled. After running for several hours the pressure was up and I wanted to backwash the filter. I shut the pump off, and moved the 6 way valve to the backwash. When I turned the pump on it started backwashing... for about 5 seconds. Then nothing. If I put it into rinse I get full flow out of the backwash line. But when I put it in backwash, it flushes for about 5 seconds and stops again. After doing this several times, it backwashes at almost no pressure. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

That speaks of a problem with the valve or gasket. Does the filter work all of the other positions? You should still be in the warranty period of the filter to that might be worth looking into as well.

Kim:kim:

Ran it in Rinse position and it loosened up the sand inside and backwash is now working. The manual doesn't tell you to run it in Rinse mode before actually using it to clear any fine sand particles... until several pages later. That explains a lot. When I first ran it I thought there was air coming out of the return. Turns out it was sand dust. Now to clear out the sand dust!

Ah man! I forgot about rinse. I, also, did not know to rinse after each backwash. Found that out when I was doing an extra long backwash as it was not cleaning as well so I got bored waiting and read the sticker on the filter :roll: LOL

Lessons learned for both of us! You to rinse after a back wash and me to remind to rinse after a back wash. What a good team!

SWEET! I am glad to hear it is clearing up!

Now do me a favor please. Fill in your signature. It helps us so much to know your pool kind (above or in ground, vinyl or plaster), size in gallons, filter type and pump size. This helps us see it at a glance. Go to settings (upper right), edit signature (middle left). Also include your artist saying LOL as well as what test kit you are using!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.