Athena_Cleo

Mar 1, 2021
Corpus Christi , Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello, friends! I am newbie😊but I am willing to learn! I need to know steps what to do after filling up my pool with water. I have Intex XTR 18’ round pool. I’ve bought Aqua Trol above ground saltwater system and Hayward pump. I really lost and don’t know what to do first, what chemicals should I add , or should I test the water first? I know I should not turn on SWG until salt dissolves. I didn’t even add a salt yet, I am afraid to do something out of order.
Also, is it matter what type of pool when buying/using chemicals? Are all the chemicals safe for Intex pool or some should I avoid?
Please, tell me step by step what to do after filing up water?
I truly appreciate any help!
P.S. I apologize for my English, since it’s not my first/primary language😊

Sounds like a fun summer.
Do you have a proper test kit yet? If not, you need to order one now. With a SWCG pool, the best value is the TFProSalt from TFTestkits.net. Another option is a Taylor K2006C with Taylor K1766 and SmartStir.
First thing is always chlorine. Add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine. You can get it at Walmart, Home Depot, etc. Use PoolMath for how much to add to your pool.
At the same time, add 40 ppm of CYA using dry stabilizer and the sock method. Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool
Once you test your pH and TA, you can then see if the pH needs to be adjusted to keep it in the 7's.

Reactions: Athena_Cleo
Sounds like a fun summer.
Do you have a proper test kit yet? If not, you need to order one now. With a SWCG pool, the best value is the TFProSalt from TFTestkits.net. Another option is a Taylor K2006C with Taylor K1766 and SmartStir.
First thing is always chlorine. Add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine. You can get it at Walmart, Home Depot, etc. Use PoolMath for how much to add to your pool.
At the same time, add 40 ppm of CYA using dry stabilizer and the sock method. Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool
Once you test your pH and TA, you can then see if the pH needs to be adjusted to keep it in the 7's.
Thank you for reply :) I've ordered the kit that you recommended above from TFTestkits.net , it will arrive this Tuesday. I really wanted to support this forum by getting a test kit from them.
Now, let me ask you a question, please. I apologize for silly questions I might ask, since I never owned pool before :)
I've downloaded Pool math app, my pool is 6,981 gallons.
Please, correct me if I am wrong - so first thing I will need to add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine 10% which is would be 27 fl oz for the size of my pool? Does "Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid for swimming pools" is a good choice? Also, how often will I need to add this amount to my pool? How many times a day and how many days in a row before I will turn ON SWG system? Will I ever need to add liquid chlorine once the SWG will be operating?

The next after hour or so I will need to add CYA via sock method. You mentioned I will need to reach 40 ppm of CYA . however in Pool Math app it states the recommended would be 60-90 or ideal 70-80. According Pool Math In order to reach Ideal level of 75 , I will need to add dry stabilizer 70 oz? Does it sound right? How often should I add this amount? How many times a day and how many days in a row? And when should I will be testing water after adding liquid chlorine and CYA. Does Clorox Pool&Spa 4-lb Stabilizer Pool Balancer is a good choice?

When should I add salt?

What else should I add regards chemicals for initial set up?

PLEASE, help me in this matter. I've been reading pool school, however I can't find clear answer how and in which order add chemicals during initial set up of saltwater pool? My head is spinning , I already regret that I even bought a pool(( it was my dream for years, but I never knew how much it take to set up a pool(((( this forum is my last hope(( I appreciate your time and help in this matter((

Last edited:
I've ordered the kit that you recommended above from TFTestkits.net
Great. TFPC does not own TFTestkits. So it is a great kit, but not tied directly to this forum.
The Poolmath app is tied to this forum. The forum gets a very small income from the subscription of the app.
so first thing I will need to add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine 10% which is would be 27 fl oz for the size of my pool?
That is the correct amount. Good job!
Does "Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid for swimming pools" is a good choice?
Yes
Also, how often will I need to add this amount to my pool?
Every day until you get your kit and set up the SWCG.
Will I ever need to add liquid chlorine once the SWG will be operating?
Occasionally. If your FC falls below target, raise it back to target with LC. The SWCG maintains FC well.
Also if you will have a big pool party, add 5 ppm FC of LC before.
I will need to add dry stabilizer 70 oz? Does it sound right?
You will eventually want to get your CYA to 70 ppm. So add about 35 oz now, let that dissolve and mix in, test in a couple days when you get your kit, then add the balance needed to get to 70 ppm. That stabilizer is fine to use.
When should I add salt?
You can add it now if you like.
What else should I add regards chemicals for initial set up?
Once you get your kit run a full set of tests and post them here (or just let us know they are in your shared Poolmath Logs).

Great. TFPC does not own TFTestkits. So it is a great kit, but not tied directly to this forum.
The Poolmath app is tied to this forum. The forum gets a very small income from the subscription of the app.

That is the correct amount. Good job!

Yes

Every day until you get your kit and set up the SWCG.

Occasionally. If your FC falls below target, raise it back to target with LC. The SWCG maintains FC well.
Also if you will have a big pool party, add 5 ppm FC of LC before.

You will eventually want to get your CYA to 70 ppm. So add about 35 oz now, let that dissolve and mix in, test in a couple days when you get your kit, then add the balance needed to get to 70 ppm. That stabilizer is fine to use.

You can add it now if you like.

Once you get your kit run a full set of tests and post them here (or just let us know they are in your shared Poolmath Logs).
Thank you VERY MUCH!!!! I truly appreciate you and the time you took to answering my questions! Finally, now I know what to do and I got hope that everything will be fine and I'll make the pool going. Because YOU helped me with all of my concerns!!

Reactions: mknauss
You're off to a good start! :goodjob: Once you receive your test kit, you'll see just how easy it can be to maintain your pool. As you can see, there are lots of folks here to help just in case one of us is away on domestic duties. :)

Reactions: Athena_Cleo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.