New salt water pool

Zplayer

Jun 4, 2022
Florida
New salt water generator pool. All pentair products. Been trying to maintain it for about 2 weeks now. really struggling with keeping chlorine levels up. The past 2 weeks I have had basically zero chlorine. Last week I identified no chlorine , as well as cya at 30 and high pH. I added acid and that normalized pH. I then ran the SWG on superchlorinate for like 12 hours, then kept it at 70%. The next week still no chlorine. I ended up adding CYA and liquid chlorine about 3 days ago, finally saw a 3ppm Clorine level after that. Today retested it and it and Chlorine is now at 1ppm. I have been running the SWG at 70% the whole time. . My pool is full sun in the Florida heat. Do I need to keep stabilizer higher than the recommended 30-50? Running the generator so much is starting to have the pH creep up again, additionally it is so hot I am having evaporation and need to add water, which I assume will only Lower chlorine more. Bather load has been low by chance as well, as we have all been sick and not swimming. Just looking for advice. Thanks.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I can get right to some key points:
1 - SWGs are not designed to create large FC increases at one time. If you are low on FC and need it up ASAP, use liquid chlorine.
2 - We recommend a CYA of about 70 ppm for SWG pools.
3 - The fact that your FC has next close to zero for a while would indicate the potential for algae in which case your SWG will never keep up.
4 - To rule out algae, we do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.
5 - To kill and remove algae, we follow the SLAM Process.
6 - To do all of these things and keep the water pristine, we test using a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit.

See the link below for more info.

Reactions: JodieM
Welcome to TFP! :wave: I can get right to some key points:
1 - SWGs are not designed to create large FC increases at one time. If you are low on FC and need it up ASAP, use liquid chlorine.
2 - We recommend a CYA of about 70 ppm for SWG pools.
3 - The fact that your FC has next close to zero for a while would indicate the potential for algae in which case your SWG will never keep up.
4 - To rule out algae, we do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.
5 - To kill and remove algae, we follow the SLAM Process.
6 - To do all of these things and keep the water pristine, we test using a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit.

See the link below for more info.

Ok great thank you for this info! While I am getting things regulated and learning how to do this, would it be right to then assume having the chlorinator mode up excessively high, and running superchlorinate mode is otherwise pointless?

pool construction came with a Taylor k2005 kit, could I just get this kit as an add on for the OCLT? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BGF7TI?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_83JMZ8C62QEYQBM1B978

running superchlorinate mode is otherwise pointless?
Correct. SWGs are best designed to maintain a set FC level than to make huge gains. If you need to do a SLAM Process, just leave the SWG off and use liquid chlorine (or regular bleach) to maintain the proper elevated FC level.

Reactions: Zplayer
Reactions: Zplayer
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.