New replaster,old pool bicarb start any usefull advice ?

billit

Jul 16, 2017
riverside,cal
I have cared for pools for 35 + years from vinyl to cement and have re-started many times with much success after a drain and clean. This is the first time I've done a new start on my newly plastered pool. I read a lot about the "bicarb" start and have prepared all the gear referred to from previous threads. I've tested the source water and done the calculations described.58 lbs of bicarb in the barrel and 3 hoses to the deep end with a tube sock over the ends and tie wrapped a 2 liter bottle a foot from the end so the 3 hoses will float and not rest on bottom as pool fills. Hopefully I've thought of everything but any advice from anyone who has done it might help keep me from an unknown blunder. I will check flow and gravity drains tonight as plasterers are coming tomorrow AM. As soon as I figure out how I'll post photos. Any words of wisdom ???

Hi Billit! Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I know you have to be excited about your new plaster. It's going to be a whole new pool for you!

I can't help you, but I've put a call out to a guy who is doing a BiCarb set up right now. You may have already seen his thread. His member name is Peirek or Paul. Ya'll may already be in touch. I hope so!
His BiCarb thread link:
Refurb - Sachse, Tx - Page 7

Have you been in touch with Brian (member name: bdavis466) ? He's one of the BiCarb experts on TFP who can definitely help. If not, I can give him a shout.

Do you have the TF-100 testkit? You definitely need that.

Let me know if you have any general TFP questions. I'll be happy to help!

We're glad you're here!
Suz :sun:

Hi Bill. Paul here from Suz's link. I am on day 5 of bicarb startup and recommend you read my thread. Brian is a must to engage (if he is willing) as he will help guide you through the process.

I did not do the barrel method but instead tested the water every ~ 2500 gallons and made adjustments as it filled. I noted the water meter reading at start and was able to track the gallonage as it progressed at each water reading. This enables the most accurate results for Pool Math (and actual pool gallonage). Oh, Pool Math is something you must use and understand very well. It is a tremendous tool and very accurate. A good test kit is a must and should be on your list of things needed. Hint: A spreadsheet to keep track of every measurement, ingrediant add, and change is highly recommended. Your head will be swimming a bit and it helps to have it to fall back on.

58lbs of bicarb should be close as I used ~40lbs on my 12,000 gallon pool. Hard to say for sure without your fill numbers but be prepared (I have 38.5lbs left over.....). Also, you will probably need 5-6 gallons of MA but 2-3 will get you by the first few days.

I recommend you read my thread to get a sense of what is in store. IMHO, you must be prepared to put in the time for the next couple of weeks. The first few days are the most hectic.

Post your fill water numbers for all to see and help guide you as you work through Pool Math decisions.

No Chlorine for ~2 days and then trichlor tabs only. No liquid chlorine. MA and Baking Soda will be your only ingredients, have plenty on hand.

Brush twice daily and use a sequestrant at startup.

Good luck. I will subscribe to your thread and help where I can but Brian is the key guy to get engaged.