Refurb - Sachse Tx w/ Bi-Carb Startup

Re: Refurb - Sachse, Tx

To lower the TA you'll drop the pH to 7.0-7.2 and maintain it in that range while aerating. As you saw on the pH/TA chart, the low pH will really be out of balance and the offgassing will make the pH want to climb. As often as you can, lower the pH back down to the low 7's and the quicker your TA will drop.

You can't just add a bunch of acid at one time because you don't ever want to drop the pH below 7.

OK, makes sense. I have plenty of aerating opportunities with 3 waterfalls and 2 sprayers (and maybe a cannon ball or two).

I was unsure how exactly the pH color would read above 8.0 (my predominant read each time). Will it get darker or does it just stop color change above 8.0? So I checked my water around 7:15 AM and sure enough it was reading 7.8 as expected. Feeling more confident now.

Day 5
6:30 AM Readings

We had 1.5" of rain last night.

pH 8.0 - added 12oz MA targeting 7.8
TA 215 - guestimate; @ 8 drops it started to turn red but at 9 is went bright red

On the TA of 215, are you using a different test, because this is a BiCarb start-up? 8-9 drops?
And do you know that on the TA test: Once it turns red, you slowly add one drop at a time until the red no longer changes to a deeper red?
So in your test here, the 9th drop went bright red. You would then add a 10th drop. If it did NOT get darker in red, you stop and subtract the last drop. So you would record 9. If it DID get darker in red, you continue dropping the last drop where there was no change. Sorry if you already know this.
Suz

Suz

On the TA of 215, are you using a different test, because this is a BiCarb start-up? 8-9 drops?
And do you know that on the TA test: Once it turns red, you slowly add one drop at a time until the red no longer changes to a deeper red?
So in your test here, the 9th drop went bright red. You would then add a 10th drop. If it did NOT get darker in red, you stop and subtract the last drop. So you would record 9. If it DID get darker in red, you continue dropping the last drop where there was no change. Sorry if you already know this.
Suz

Suz

Thanks Suz I was unaware of that.
I am using the 10ml sample test with each drop = 25 (to save on R-009 reagent). Seems like I might need to better check when it no longer turns a darker red as I had not been doing that consistently. I would guess my last reading would be 225 (9 drops). I'll pay more attention starting with my measurement this evening. So much to learn. I keep reading and reading and still miss things. Nothing like actually doing it and having others monitor. Thanks much!

It IS so different when you do it on your own, isn't it?!

I see now, about each drop equaling 25ppm. That makes perfect sense, and it's economical. I like that! I learned something new!

I didn't want to offend by explaining about the color change. I'm glad it worked out.

When you do the CH test, you do the same but with different colors.

Ask any and all questions! I know few answers, but once in a while, I get lucky. Lol!!

It IS so different when you do it on your own, isn't it?!

I see now, about each drop equaling 25ppm. That makes perfect sense, and it's economical. I like that! I learned something new!
Many of the tests in my TF-2006 have instructions that say "If you think your XXXX is high, you can use this volume and these many drops, etc"

I didn't want to offend by explaining about the color change. I'm glad it worked out.
Absolutely none, zero, nil, zilch, zip, offense taken at all.

When you do the CH test, you do the same but with different colors.
Thanks I'll watch out for that when it becomes time to drive it up.

Ask any and all questions! I know few answers, but once in a while, I get lucky. Lol!!

Thanks again Suz!

What test kit is the TF-2006? Is that the Taylor kit? I only saw the TF-100 and TF-50 on the test kits page. Just wondering if I've missed something new...which is really quite possible! Lol!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Day 5
5:30 PM Readings

pH 8.0 - added 10oz MA targeting 7.8
TA 200 - started to turn red on 7th drop, went red on 8th and no change on 9th (Thanks Suz!) - each drop x25
FA 0.4 - in-line chlorinator has been turned "off" since last night. Today wa cloudy a good part of the day but I suspect even in the "off" position, some dissolving of the tabs is happening. I will measure FA again at bed time and then in the morning to determine.

Cleaned skimmer baskets from storm last night. Should have done this in the AM.

Brian,
I assume the x25 is accurate enough on TA for now? Or should I switch to x10 method to get a more accurate read?

Day 5
10:15 PM Readings

TA 200
FA 0.4 - it appears the in-line chlorinator is in fact mostly off. I will recheck this number in the morning. If it is still at 0.4 I think I should turn it on just a little to accomodate the expected full sun tomorrow. Thoughts Brian?

Day 6

TA 200
FC 1.4 -My questioning if OFF on the in-line chlorinator is really off has been proven. Gained 1 ppm overnight (8 hours) which would equate to 3 ppm over the entire day (with pump running 24x7). With the bright sunshine on the pool for about 12 hours, that may be just about right.

It certainly wouldn't hurt. You think you've gone though a full puck yet?

Not sure - I'll pop the top and find out. I had loaded it up with 10 pucks to start. In hindsight I probably should have done one ot two at a a time to keep track better.

Day 6

TA 200
FC 1.4 -My questioning if OFF on the in-line chlorinator is really off has been proven. Gained 1 ppm overnight (8 hours) which would equate to 3 ppm over the entire day (with pump running 24x7). With the bright sunshine on the pool for about 12 hours, that may be just about right.

Not sure - I'll pop the top and find out. I had loaded it up with 10 pucks to start. In hindsight I probably should have done one ot two at a a time to keep track better.

Maybe a better day to look at it is the total ppm of chlorine you've added....10 total ppm would give you a CYA of 6 (1ppm=0.6 CYA)

Maybe a better day to look at it is the total ppm of chlorine you've added....10 total ppm would give you a CYA of 6 (1ppm=0.6 CYA)

Not sure how to calculate the total added. I guess using approximately 3ppm per day (based on above measurements) would equate to roughly 9 ppm since adding tabs and starting chlorinator at beginning of day 3. Probably plus a little because I had the knob turned up just above the "OFF" position for a day. So 10-12ppm total would be likely pretty accurate. CYA of 6-7.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.