New rectangular IG in Mesa, AZ

cwstnsko

Bronze Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
Mesa, AZ
We're having our pool built in conjunction with the purchase of our new house (saving sales tax and allowing the pool to be started before closing.) We are working with California Pools. We are scheduled to close on the house on 6/27 and I just got notified that the dig will start today!
The Pool is a 16x35 rectangular play pool (3.5->5->4) with a 6x8 spa in one corner, Shelf adjacent to the spa and a Coverstar automatic cover. 3 overflow pot water features and Omnilogic Automation. Equipment in signature.
Here's an overhead view of the plan.
Pool-yard concept.jpg

Reactions: TheMerk
Looking great! I love having our autocover. I suspect you will too. Does your heat pump have a cooling mode? If you need to use your cover in the summer (for security?) the water may get a tad warm. Others in your climate can provide better guidance on that but I wanted to raise the topic.

The heat pump can be used to either heat or cool the pool. I suspect that my use of the cover will vary considerably through the seasons. I did choose a fairly light color to avoid excessive solar heating. Water in the PHX area gets quite warm in the summer, even without a cover, so I suspect summer will be “open” season , unless we have visitors that create safety concerns.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds good. Are they on to steel and plumbing now?

The pool builder is opportunistically able to get in to work on a non interference basis with the home builder. Since the home builder is working on the driveway and pavers, the pool builder doesn’t have useful access to the back yard until sometime after the long weekend. I’m guessing that plumbing and steel are coming shortly after that. Which reminds me, I need to have the pool builder show me the Paramount drawings for the IFC.

Are you married to the IFC?

I'm with B on this one. I have a 1999 vintage pool with an A&A infloor system amd it does a great job. But if I was building a new pool today, I wouldn't have one installed. Instead, I'd use todays technology - a high quality robot... Maytronics and the like.

Infloor cleaning requires the pump to be running at a high RPM to power the system, which equals higher electricity usage. A robot uses 12volts (24 volts?), the pump doesn't need to be runnig at all and you can run the pump at a low RPM for circulation and/or running the SWCG.

Several members have gotten robots from Marina Pool in Denver. They will help you decide which robot is best for your pool type. You have to call them for the info, price and ordering.

In addition, you can probably buy 5+ robots for the price of the IFCS.

Last edited:
I had a Paramount engineered PV3 IFC in the 1st pool that I had built in Mesa in 2004. It worked phenomenally well for me, so based on 1st hand positive experience, I am doing the same thing again. A good friend of mine had the A&A (Shasta) system in his pool, and it was nowhere near as good as my Paramount system. I had a 2 speed pump on my 1st pool and I only needed to bump it to high speed a couple hours a day to keep the pool in tip-top shape. I think many of the IFC systems that don’t live up to owners expectations either use overly complicated heads that are prone to failure, or the system is not properly engineered. I’m not sure how many pool builders actually have the system engineered by the manufacturer of the system, but it was something I made sure my pool builder committed to before I signed the contract.

I know this site is collectively not a big promoter of IFC and I do appreciate your input, but to answer your question, Yes, I am quite attached to the IFC in my plan ?.

Very good. I just like to raise items for discussion. You’ll have a lot of new stuff in your life with a new house and pool!

Looking forward to updates as they are available.

As far as I know, the PCC-2000 always uses the MDX-R3. It works in conjunction with the fixed wall jets and the floor heads to pull all the larger debris into the drain and then catches it in the in-deck canister before it gets to the pump. Hopefully this, in conjunction with the Venturi skimmer will give me even better cleaning than I had on my 1st pool ?

Yeah, that’s probably the best...I only asked because I posted on another thread about Paramount system in this post:

I also expressed some skepticism about the usefulness of the Venturi skimmers, take a look...I could be totally wrong on that, wondering what you think.

Edit: Oh by the way..sorry to jump right into shop talk, haha. Your pool dig looks great! Love the cabana extending from the ?garage? What’s the plan there, an outdoor kitchen?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.