Manchaca, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-25
I have a new Raypak 406A natural gas pool heater purchased online. I'm having an issue of the heater firing then shutting down numerous times then timing out , giving no pilot sense/ignition failure. The plumbing company initially installed a 3/4" poly gas line from the meter, about 50 ft. The tech that Raypak found to do warranty work said the line was not big enough, so the plumber installed a 1-1/4" poly line per the installation instructions. The gas pressure for the new heater is the same that is feeding my other gas appliances and they all work correctly. Is it normal to have to install a separate regulator for the gas before the internal gas valve? After several attempts of going through the spark/ burner start, now, when the power is turned on, we are getting a humming from the heater, maybe the gas valve, and no spark or burner lighting. Any suggestions that we can try? The above symptoms occur whether the pool pump is running low speed or high speed. I am not getting any flow errors. The heater is wired for 120v per the installation manual.

Call Raypak and get the tech back out there. It's a new unit and I wouldn't mess with it since it is a warranty issue.

As for the gas line, is it a 2lb service from the gas company? If not, I would have the gas company upgrade it to that and yes you would need regulator then at the heater and one feeding into your house for the other appliances.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Post pics of your house gas meter and the data plate on the gas meter.

Does your gas meter say it can provide 400CFM or more of gas?

The Raypak heater probably requires more gas then any other gas appliance in your house.

Did anyone put a manometer on the Raypak heater and measure the gas pressure before it started and after it tried to start?

From page 15 in https://s3.amazonaws.com/AWSProd/sites/raypakcom/documents/241236.pdf

Raypak heater gas supply pressures.jpg

Last edited:
Call Raypak and get the tech back out there. It's a new unit and I wouldn't mess with it since it is a warranty issue.

As for the gas line, is it a 2lb service from the gas company? If not, I would have the gas company upgrade it to that and yes you would need regulator then at the heater and one feeding into your house for the other appliances.
Thanks for the reply. I just had the gas company out. I have 2lb service. I will need to add a downstream regulator and the gas company will then upgrade my meter to get the volume need for my pool heater and gas appliances.

Reactions: mknauss
Welcome to TFP.

Post pics of your house gas meter and the data plate on the gas meter.

Does your gas meter say it can provide 400CFM or more of gas?

The Raypak heater probably requires more gas then any other gas appliance in your house.

Did anyone put a manometer on the Raypak heater and measure the gas pressure before it started and after it tried to start?

From page 15 in https://s3.amazonaws.com/AWSProd/sites/raypakcom/documents/241236.pdf

View attachment 380564
Thanks for the reply. The gas company was just out and told me I have 2lb service, and I need a regulator at the pool heater. They also will be upgrading my meter to provide enough volume for all my gas appliances.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.