New Quote Help-San Antonio

zfo85

Oct 18, 2021
San Antonio, TX
4B397AD0-4E58-419A-B871-CAE5A1C6CD3A.jpegHowdy y’all. We just received our plans and a quote from a reputable builder in the San Antonio area (we’re in Cibolo). We are new to pools and the quote seemed high to us, so looking for some feedback and/or comments. I’ve included specs and a picture of the plan. Thanks for your help!

Pool plan:
32’ x 20’7”

16,312 gallons

3’6”-6’

15” elevated spa (3’6”)

8 spa jets with arm rest

1-2.7 HP variable speed

1-1.85 HP variable speed

7 inlets

1.5” bubbler

399,000 BTU heater w/ buried 250 G propane

1-60 sq ft DE

2 - surface skimmer

1 - AquaStar ozone unit

1- Polaris Quattro Sport IG robotic vacuum

9” Grade 60-1/2” 16’ gauge steel

6”-8” 4,000 PSI concrete

Flagstone coping

6” tile

974 sq. ft. Decking with cool deck finish coat

2- LED lights in pool

1- LED light in spa

Tier One Pebble Tec plaster

Sun shelf with bubbler

14 LF weeping waterfall 30” above coping

Skip the ozone system. It is worthless.

Get a SWCG to generate your chlorine.

You have a lot more then a pool in that price with burying a propane tank and the deck.

Get model numbers for pumps, filter, heater, lights.

What automation controller will you have?

Very nice layout with a freeform pool.
It is nice that you will have a separate pump for your water feature. That provides you some flexibility to operate when in either Pool Mode or Spa Mode.

It is best to have specifics on mfg. and models of equipment such as pump, filter, heater, lights, etc.

Ask that your 2 skimmers and the main drain are plumbed independently back to the equipment pad. This provides better control of those items.

The water feature should have its dedicated suction and return lines to the second pump.

The Polaris Quattro Sport cleaner is a pressured operated cleaner - I would NOT call it robotic. It requires a booster pump which I do not see called out but maybe part of the package with the pump.

Seriously consider a dedicated saltwater chlorine generator (SWCG) over that "ozone" system. You be much better off in long run.

The price is the price in this market. Best to get 3 bids if you can to compare and also consider recommendations by others who have used each builder as well how long the PB has been in the business. Ask if you can see a pool they recently built. Also, negotiate to keep 5-10% of overall price as the final payment AFTER the pool is filled, the equipment is operational and the punch list has been completed.

The Polaris Quattro Sport cleaner is a pressured operated cleaner - I would NOT call it robotic. It requires a booster pump which I do not see called out but maybe part of the package with the pump.

The Polaris Quattro Sport has the same type of cleaning mechanisms as the electrical powered robotic cleaners. It is vastly different then the previous generation of Polaris pressure cleaners.

The main difference between the Quattro Sport and a "robotic cleaner" is what powers the drive mechanism. The Quattro Sport uses water power from the booster pump to power its drive while the "robotic cleaner" uses 12 volt electrical motors.

The Pool Cleaner section has many folks who have problems with the electric drive motors of their robotic cleaners. It is not clear to me that it is a superior drive technique over keeping the electric motor outside of the pool in the form of a booster pump and powering the cleaning mechanism with water pressure.

The fact is the robotic 12V cleaners are not inexpensive and many don't last long. If your pool is not built to use a pressure side cleaner then you don't have an option. For those that do have an option the Polaris Quattro Sport can clean as well as many popular "robotic cleaners".

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX
Thanks for the input y’all, being new to this I am finding it to be very helpful. I’m trying to get exact model info. on things like the pump, filter, heater, and lights-because it’s not specifically listed in the pool plan agreement. Working in contracting, this concerns me, but I am wondering if the PB uses the same ones for all of their pools because we were shown them on display in the show room.

I did read on here that the ozone system is probably not necessary, and I will look into the SWCG, but I’m fairly certain that I’ve read other comments on here that our PB (Keith Zars Pools) doesn’t do them. Thanks again, learning a ton here!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.