New Quartzscape too blotchy?

kareninflorida

Jan 27, 2021
Florida
Moved from here .. https://www.troublefreepool.com/posts/1957691/

Yup, thanks. That sample is what the good parts of my pool look like (and I imagine feel like). It's not perfectly smooth, but you also aren't going to get cut running your hand across it quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all. Again, thanks for the feedback.

I met with the PB, the plaster company that did the work, and a Quartzscape rep from the supplier they buy from this morning. In summary: they said everything looks normal and great.

The summary of their claims and explanation of things.

- Quartzscape roughness: this is normal and just needs to be sanded down. The plaster company normally just sands down the flat surfaces (steps, spa seats, etc) which are ok now (I guess they were already sanded), and you usually just let time/chemical reactions smooth out the rest of the pool. The plaster company guy did get some sand paper and demonstrate that some in water sanding can smooth out an area. This surprises me and also seems like *A TON* of work to sand almost the entire pool. The plaster company will be back on Tuesday to sand the rough areas and make the pool smooth.

- The white streaks and blotchiness are normal and "within spec". These may dissipate with time.

- The ring in the deep end also just happens sometimes and is normal and will go away with time.

- The countersunk pool returns are normal because those particular pool returns are angled towards the skimmer and that was done on purpose to have the water flow correctly.

- The acid wash of the concrete decking (to clean up the spilled acid from the plaster) did not (and does not) change the color or the concrete or the cracks of the concrete. The concrete is just really clean now and that is why it looks different.

I'm not sure if I believe all (or any) of this, but given my experience with the PB to date my Baloney Sandwich-meter is going off. Any thoughts? Does any of this make sense? The angled pool return claims seems especially strange to me, but then again I'm not a pool builder...
I have exactly the same problem with newly resurfaced pool in Quartzscapes Superblue. White mottling and splotches all over it. I'm very disappointed. I was told by the pool company that it was "normal", and within the specs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.