New Pump will not turn off

H,

Sounds to me like you have the pump wired to the line side of the timer instead of the load side of the timer.. Or maybe the timer is bad???

Show us a pic of where the wires from the pump are attached to the timer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

H,

Sounds to me like you have the pump wired to the line side of the timer instead of the load side of the timer.. Or maybe the timer is bad???

Show us a pic of where the wires from the pump are attached to the timer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Attachments

• DBFBC79A-907A-46C2-93A9-506491B7AFA4.jpeg
    DBFBC79A-907A-46C2-93A9-506491B7AFA4.jpeg
    498.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 8AD0733E-6DC2-43AF-8802-FE610DE84A0E.jpeg
    8AD0733E-6DC2-43AF-8802-FE610DE84A0E.jpeg
    411.4 KB · Views: 3
So the timer on the right goes to the pump in question. Before replacing the pump today everything worked perfectly. Nothing was changed but the new pump. FYI I did pop the breaker on first startup. The ground wire was touching a hot. Possibly this messed up the timer. I can confirm the timer is moving and keeping time. It just does not turn off the pump.

FYI I did pop the breaker on first startup. The ground wire was touching a hot. Possibly this messed up the timer.

You fused together the switch contacts from the high current from the short. Replace the timer.

You can turn off the breaker and check with a multimeter if the contacts are closed when the switch is off.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmythegreek
H,

I agree with Allen... The timer is now toast... The contacts that normally open and close to turn the pump on and off are welded together... Kind of how an arc welder works... :cool:

Jim R.

Note that you can replace just the timer mechanism. Look up the parts diagram for your model. The mechanism just snaps in and out. You can check the contacts on the back.

You can probably unstick the contacts, but once they get burned, they are more likely arc every time they open and close.

Reactions: jimmythegreek
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.