New pump sound

FloridaPoolNewbie

Bronze Supporter
May 5, 2021
Florida
My pump is making a new sound above the normal running sound. Something was stuck in the filter last night and impeded skimmer flow but it didn’t run dry as the filter basket had water in it. Any thoughts? As an aside how would I know if the filter was broken besides not running? My PSI is fine.

A pump can overheat with water in the pump basket if it’s output flow is blocked and it can’t move water.

Sounds like the impeller or diffuser has warped from overheating and is rubbing.

What happened in your filter?

A pump can overheat with water in the pump basket if it’s output flow is blocked and it can’t move water.

Sounds like the impeller or diffuser has warped from overheating and is rubbing.

What happened in your filter?
The sound went away so unsure what caused it...had a paper drop cloth covering up some plants for the cold and it of course blew off into the pool at some point.

What model pump is this? My Hayward Tristar i can remove the 6 bolts at the volute case and ease the motor seal plate assy back for easy examining. (shaft seal will not be disturbed) Impeller,diffuser and wear ring can be serviced at this point. I leave my wiring intact. You'd be surprised the debris that can collect in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.