New pump new DE filter NO PRESSURE!

Highfargone

Apr 4, 2020
East Syracuse NY
Each year I open my inground pool I struggle with getting good pressure. Whether it’s to the skimmer to vacuum or just a combination of the 2 ports. This year I purchased a new Hayward 1 hp super pump and a Hayward DE filter, hoping that might help. I don’t know why but I just did. Now it’s all hooked up and I can’t get more than 3 pounds of pressure. I would like to get the skimmer swirling so I can suck all these leaves out. Is that enough information to get this thread started?? Thanks. Dan

Dan,

Skimmers don't need to swirl to have get great skimming.. Mine don't... The key to good skimming, is to have working weir doors..

Assuming your new pump is a single speed pump, then I would agree that 3 lbs of filter pressure sound low to me.. What does the water flow back to the pool feel like?

The size of the pool eyeballs has a lot to do with your filter pressure. Did you put the eyeballs back on when you opened??

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have one return. I’m assuming that’s the eyeball to which you are referring to. I did. I actually do no have a working weir door however. It broke off last season and I haven’t found a suitable replacement yet. When I do get the system running good, around 12 pounds of pressure, the water in the skimmer basket swirls good and sucks off the bottom strong. Right now, no matter which port I direct to I just can’t get any real pressure. The flow to the pool is just spitting and sputtering

I am unfamiliar with that valve but it looks like you have a 3 way Hayward ball valve with two suction side ports. Based on your earlier comments one is a skimmer, do you know what the other one is? Possibly a main drain?

Do you recall if the Hayward port was removed at any point? Some reviews appear to state the ball can easily move and become unaligned if it is opened at all restricting flow.

I can't make everything out based on the pictures, but with a DE filter I would expect to see a multi-port valve and a pressure gauge which I assume not shown from the angle of the picture.

Please note that if there is too much DE in the filter it can also impact the flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.