New Pump Help - smaller pool

Jun 29, 2012
I need help in sizing a pump.

I'm looking at replacing my current 3/4 HP pump as it is overheating and shutting down on very hot days. I estimate the current pump is > 8 years old, but have no real way of knowing.

Details about my pool:

In ground, vinyl, 12,000 gallons
pump - 3/4HP, 230v
1.5" inch lines
Hayward sand filter - filtration rate 20GPM, filtration/backwash design flow-rate 62GPM
No fountains, spas, etc.
SWG and furnace are inline
electricity rate: 8.58/KWH

I can't seem to find other 3/4 HP motors when I look at pool supply world so I've been looking at 1HP, two speed motors. We only have the pool operational for 5 months out of the year and our elec is inexpensive (I think) so I don't think a VS is called for.

The models I'm considering are:

Hayward SP2607X102S Super Pump, 1HP, two speed, 230v
Pentair 340042 SuperFlo, 1HP, two speed, 230v

Am I on the right track? How can I verify I'm not overpowering my system?

Last edited:
Hi Zea -

I have a Hayward sand filter. I took a picture of the info panel, but I must have missed the model. It says pro series - 20 GPM/FT filtration rate, 62 GPM filtration/backwash flow rate. (this is all mostly gibberish to me. I understand the words, but have no practical experience on what they mean).

Personally, I would go vs.

Reasons

1) the pump will pay for itself in 3 years ( 1 hp pump will use 1.4 kw/hr.x24x1.4x30x5X= 5040 kw = $428VS- 1500rpm for 5 hrs a day....0.5kwx5x30x5x.85= 375 total kw = $31

2) you have the added options of increased speeds for cleaning.

3) vs speed pumps have better motors, most have viton seals and they last longer

4) imo 2 speed pumps are way cheaper

This is math I can understand. I currently filter 12 hrs. But say I cut that to 10 hrs, the math still works out for the VS. I don't need to pay off the entire VS, I just need to pay off difference between VS and two speed. Thanks for input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.