Tuscumbia Alabama
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A LIST OF RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS TO GET STARTED.. I HAVE A NEW POOL THAT IS JUST FILLED WITH TAP WATER AT THE MOMENT AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT INVENTORY I NEED TO BUY TO DO THE INITIAL BALANCING.

Post the pH, TA, CH of your fill water.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
I'm new here as well, and still in the learning stage, so I don't want to advise on what your inventory should be.
However, I do know when writing in emails and forums using ALL CAPS, denotes yelling. :shock:
You'll get more attention with a whisper!
Ever notice when someone talks softly, you try harder to hear what is being said and pay more attention?
Almost the same thing, except when writing there's no real emotion....other than words and the way they are written...jmho. :goodjob:

With that being said, you do have a good question for those of us that are just starting out as well...the beauty/benefit of a forum with experts answering newbie questions! :whoot:

Reactions: mnmpizza
Hi ‘78 -

Were you able to test your water? You have a perfect test kit and ajw22’s request for the numbers will provide the details we need to let you know what you will need to maintain your pool. The only thing I can say with 100% certainty is that you will need salt at some point. Cheapest and easiest are the blue bags of water softener salt at Lowe’s or that orange store. Diamond Crystals Solar Naturals, about $7/bag. Did you also get the Taylor K-1766 drop test kit for salt? You will also need that in addition to your TF-100.

Using yourcyest kit, do a test fir:
- FC (Free Chlorine)
- CC (Combined Chlorine)
- pH (potential of Hydrogen)
- TA (Total Alkalinity)
- CH (Calcium Hardness)
- CYA (CYunaric Acid)
- Pool water temperature at time of test

Once you have numbers for each of those, folks on here can advise on next steps.

If you spill during stirring, restart...
Remember, align water line to volume marker on tube, with lowest point of water level (remember, meniscus rules)...

Using FAS DPD kit:
1. FC:
Fill block large tube to 10mL of pool water
Add 2 scoops of R-0870 powder
Stir well
Add R-0871 counting each drop, while stirring. Stir after each drop added. Once sample turns colorless and stays there, don't add anymore.
Multiply # of drops added by 0.5.
Result is FC in ppm (parts pee million).
Don't throw sample out, continue to use for CC test.

2. CC
Using sample from previous test,
Add 5 drops of R-0003
Stir well
If sample turns any color, add R-0871 while counting drops, until sample turns colorless again, stirring between drop adds.
Once sample colorless, multiply # of drops added by 0.5.
Result is CC in ppm units.
Discard sample and rinse tube with pool sample water to prep for next test

3. pH
Add 44mL of sample water to large tube
Add 5 drops of R-0004
- Close cap, don't shake, invert tube gently couple times.
- Hold up tube to Northern sky. It helps to have white paper as background
- compare sample color to pH chart colors on block.
Result is your pH
Rinse tube to prep for next test

4. TA
Fill large tube to 10mL mark
Add 1 drop R-0007 and stir
Add 3 drops R-0008 and stir
Sample will become green.
Add R-0009 counting drops, stirring between each drop, until sample turns red. Once turns red, add 1 more drop. If color changed more, count the extra drop. If color did not change, do not count extra drop.
Multiply # of drops by 25.
Rest is TA in ppm units.
Rinse tubevin prep for next test.

5. CH
Fill tube to 10mL mark
Add 10 drops R-0010 and stir well
Add 3 drops R-0011L and stir well
Sample will turn red.
Add R-0012 counting drops, and swirling between drops.
Stop counting once sample turns blue.
Add 1 more drop. If sample still changes color, count the extra drop. If no color change shown, do not count extra drop.
Multiply # drops by 25.
Result is CH in ppm units.

Note: sample may turn purple. Purple means there are metals present in your water. It may be difficult to see color change. You can repeat test by adding 5 drops R-0012 first then swirl. Then add 10 drops R-0010, stir, then add 3 drops R-0011L, then add R-0012 counting initial 5 drops plus additional ones, til liquid turns blue/purple. Same rule for extra drop applies.

6. CYA
Fill cya test bottle to 7mL mark with sample
Add R-0013 to 14mL marker on bottle
Close cap and stir for 30 seconds
Open bottle spout, slowly start filling small block tube with sample. Stop filling as soon as the black dot at bottom of tube disappears.
Read measurement on side of block tube.
Result is your cya in ppm

Note: If dot does not disappear, means your cya is very low.

Hope this will help you fo the tests and let us know so we can help.

CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A LIST OF RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS TO GET STARTED....

Using yourcyest kit, do a test fir:
- FC (Free Chlorine)
- CC (Combined Chlorine)
- pH (potential of Hydrogen)
- TA (Total Alkalinity)
- CH (Calcium Hardness)
- CYA (CYunaric Acid)
- Pool water temperature at time of test

Once you have numbers for each of those, folks on here can advise on next steps.

If you spill during stirring, restart...
Remember, align water line to volume marker on tube, with lowest point of water level (remember, meniscus rules)...

Using FAS DPD kit:
1. FC:
Fill block large tube to 10mL of pool water
Add 2 scoops of R-0870 powder
Stir well
Add R-0871 counting each drop, while stirring. Stir after each drop added. Once sample turns colorless and stays there, don't add anymore.
Multiply # of drops added by 0.5.
Result is FC in ppm (parts pee million).
Don't throw sample out, continue to use for CC test.

2. CC
Using sample from previous test,
Add 5 drops of R-0003
Stir well
If sample turns any color, add R-0871 while counting drops, until sample turns colorless again, stirring between drop adds.
Once sample colorless, multiply # of drops added by 0.5.
Result is CC in ppm units.
Discard sample and rinse tube with pool sample water to prep for next test

3. pH
Add 44mL of sample water to large tube
Add 5 drops of R-0004
- Close cap, don't shake, invert tube gently couple times.
- Hold up tube to Northern sky. It helps to have white paper as background
- compare sample color to pH chart colors on block.
Result is your pH
Rinse tube to prep for next test

4. TA
Fill large tube to 10mL mark
Add 1 drop R-0007 and stir
Add 3 drops R-0008 and stir
Sample will become green.
Add R-0009 counting drops, stirring between each drop, until sample turns red. Once turns red, add 1 more drop. If color changed more, count the extra drop. If color did not change, do not count extra drop.
Multiply # of drops by 25.
Rest is TA in ppm units.
Rinse tubevin prep for next test.

5. CH
Fill tube to 10mL mark
Add 10 drops R-0010 and stir well
Add 3 drops R-0011L and stir well
Sample will turn red.
Add R-0012 counting drops, and swirling between drops.
Stop counting once sample turns blue.
Add 1 more drop. If sample still changes color, count the extra drop. If no color change shown, do not count extra drop.
Multiply # drops by 25.
Result is CH in ppm units.

Note: sample may turn purple. Purple means there are metals present in your water. It may be difficult to see color change. You can repeat test by adding 5 drops R-0012 first then swirl. Then add 10 drops R-0010, stir, then add 3 drops R-0011L, then add R-0012 counting initial 5 drops plus additional ones, til liquid turns blue/purple. Same rule for extra drop applies.

6. CYA
Fill cya test bottle to 7mL mark with sample
Add R-0013 to 14mL marker on bottle
Close cap and stir for 30 seconds
Open bottle spout, slowly start filling small block tube with sample. Stop filling as soon as the black dot at bottom of tube disappears.
Read measurement on side of block tube.
Result is your cya in ppm

Note: If dot does not disappear, means your cya is very low.

Hope this will help you fo the tests and let us know so we can help.
Thanks for the reply, My test kit finally made it in yesterday. Sorry about the all caps I didn’t know that meant I was yelling, Im just so used to typing in all caps. Thanks for your help...

No worries. I like all caps. You get to see who gets riled up at sight of non lower case letters...lol.
I encourage you to watch top videos about water tests. Make detailed notes so you don't have to watch over and over. With time, you will remember.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.