New pool with wet edge technology signature matrix...'blotchy' spots?

MCF50

Aug 18, 2020
Houston
New pool was plastered with wet edge tech signature matrix picasso blue. Originally there was some areas that were pretty 'botchy' (ie more mud than pebble). Plaster company (who did it) came out and said that it was about a "7 out of 10". They sent out their field supervisor, drained the pool (and are paying for refill), and re-acid washed/power washed the entire pool. The overall pool looks great but the two areas that were of the biggest concern still have some 'blotchiness' to them - can pretty much see the grey 'mud' when they are under shade in morning and evening. Harder to see when under sun or pool lights are on and I doubt anyone but me would see the areas unless pointed out. In addition the additional acid washing made those two areas pretty rough and JR Plaster is sending out a tech to 'polish' them down. This of course concerns me because I am concerned it will make it look worse. But I am not going to dictate to them what they can and cannot do as it will relieve pool builder. Pool builder has said if it is still bad we can get wet edge out to look at area and worse case chip away old plaster and redo (I won't accept losing depth/pool area). So is some 'blotchiness' to be expected (both pool builder and plaster company said there will always be some)? My issue is there is pretty much none anywhere else in the pool proper. One area is only about 12"x18" and the other area in the deepest end on one side is about 18" x 24"....note areas are not perfect lines or boxes...irregular shaped with some pebble mixed in with the mud breaking it up. But more visible 'mud' here than other places. Pool is 20x20. Areas in question are in deep end (5'4-5'5"). Am I being overly critical and should I just move one!?

It is difficult to catch them with the pool fill and lighting. But there are rough areas along two benches that run the length of the pool. The hot tub plaster is simply unacceptable. I am telling PB to get out the jacks and start over.

There is no guarantee that any patch or complete start over will be better and could be worse. Plaster is hand mixed and applied for each job and the plaster mix, crew, and weather all create many variables that influence what you get.

If you can not capture the defects in pics then they are minor flaws. My vote is to move on after the PB tries his fixes.

There is no guarantee that any patch or complete start over will be better and could be worse. Plaster is hand mixed and applied for each job and the plaster mix, crew, and weather all create many variables that influence what you get.

If you can not capture the defects in pics then they are minor flaws. My vote is to move on after the PB tries his fixes.
Well how about the fact that EVERY area of concern (areas that were more 'grey' than pebble) are now extremely rough to the tough. Can't capture that in a pick but I guess thats acceptable for a wetedge tech signature matrix plaster?

Well how about the fact that EVERY area of concern (areas that were more 'grey' than pebble) are now extremely rough to the tough. Can't capture that in a pick but I guess thats acceptable for a wetedge tech signature matrix plaster?

Sounds like plaster dust settled on the surface from insufficient brushing or scale from poor startup chemistry.

What date was the paslter job completed and the pool filled?

I brushed every day....not sure about start-up chemistry. Relied on pool builder for that....pool was originally plastered ~3 weeks ago. Acid washed the next day and then filling started right after acid wash was complete.

Have they tried polishing the plaster with diamond sanding pads? They do the flat surfaces with a power sander. Curved surfaces and corners they need to do by hand and they may not get as smooth if they don’t work at ir.

You going to be there to stay on top of the crew and point out the areas you know they need to hit?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why should I have to do that? I can't remember every area that needs fixed. I have already told my PB they can try the polish until they are blue in the face and if it doesn't resolve the numerous rough areas (hot tub is so rough my 9 year old boy said it felt like sitting on rocks), they need to jack hammer and start fresh.

The plaster company is advising against 'patching' areas. I would think they could manually chip out small sections (maybe 2' x 4') and then just re-plaster that area or is that a bad idea? No idea when they are showing up but I told my PB I will show them the areas of concern but I am not going to walk around the entire pool, benches, hot tub, tanning ledge saying, "Oh, here is an area"...

Last edited by a moderator:
Plaster company came out...attempted to polish a couple of the areas. No improvement in jaggedness and further polishing would just remove more pebbles making area look worse. PB has agreed to demo existing plaster and redo it..wonderful. That won't be messy or loud, but hopefully they do a better job this time.

Lets make sure we/you and the PB are on the same page...........is he saying they will take ALL of the plaster off and put on new plaster OR is he thinking they will only chip out around the returns & lights and put new plaster OVER the old plaster? Many do this to save them labor costs and can be done BUT down the road many years it will cost YOU more when it comes time to replaster as YOU will have to pay for the removal of TWO plaster jobs. Just something to think about.

Plaster company came out...attempted to polish a couple of the areas. No improvement in jaggedness and further polishing would just remove more pebbles making area look worse. PB has agreed to demo existing plaster and redo it..wonderful. That won't be messy or loud, but hopefully they do a better job this time.
that is great. After they chip it out, you may want to inspect all the return pipes, drain area, lights, etc. to ensure no damage to those and it is ready for new plaster.

They are removing all plaster!!!! Not plastering over old...so I think this will be about a 6 day job......2 days of demo. 1 day of cleanup. 1 day to replace any waterline tiles. 1 day to plaster. 1 day to acid wash...any thoughts?

Reactions: HermanTX
...any thoughts?

I suggest you or the PB stay on top of the plaster crew if you want ensure quality. Lots of tips for what to ask about in...

So removing old plaster and doing new is not 'rare' correct? This is pretty common with pools that need redone. My wife is kinda freaking out and I tell her this is done all the time. Both the PB and the plaster company are very experienced. The plaster company field supervisor is great and I am sure he will be present during the entire process this time.

I think you can inform your wife, based on the advice you have been given on recommending the re-plaster, that replastering is common. I would guess any pool over 15 yrs old has probably done a re-plaster assuming it is still in use. Mine was done in early 2018 and it is great. It is best the plaster company supervisor is redoing the whole pool and appears he is engaged to get it done right.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.