New pool with water just added

DT525

Nov 22, 2018
Melbourne
Hi all,

New here, and just had our concrete pool finished, and I filled it Friday night (it was full on Saturday morning).
I live in Melbourne Australia and it is a long weekend, so my pool builder is coming back tomorrow (Tuesday) to commission it with chemicals and start the filter etc. I am wondering if it is safe to swim in? Water looks relatively clean, just a bit cloudy.

I would suspect the pH of the water is quite high, again, if this is plaster. It would not be safe to swim in.

water from the tap mornington peninsula
ph 6.8
TA 30
CH 30
so if yours is similar you could add some bicarb and liquid chlorine
all from bunnings
use pool math to target ph 7.2 and fc 2-3
PoolMath
it would be safe to swim as is but could sting your eyes if prolonged use and would quickly use the tiny amount of chlorine in tap water

Do you have a test kit to determine your water chemistry? Gotta know it’s chemistry to say if it is safe to swim in.

Get a Clear Choice labs test kit. @aussieta can give you a link to it.

Is the pump running?

Last edited:
It’s got power to the pump however it is connected to a control box. It has auto sensors for chlorine and acid and I am not sure how it works yet. The pump and filter has not been turned on before so I am also not sure if it needs priming?

It’s got power to the pump however it is connected to a control box. It has auto sensors for chlorine and acid and I am not sure how it works yet. The pump and filter has not been turned on before so I am also not sure if it needs priming?

Not knowing how any valves are set I would not advise turning the pump on unless you really understand the way things are. Lots we dont know like type of filter you have and if it has been loaded with media - sand or DE.

If your pool has been filled with house water then it is as safe as when you take a bath in the house. The issue is as the water sits outside it can get contaminated. With no CL or filter running we can’t say the sanitation of the water as time goes on. It is probably as sanitary as some pond or lake.

Thanks for everyone’s reply. I will just wait until tomorrow.
It has a sand filter (filled with glass media) and all the valves are open in the correct operation. Being all new to this I’m not sure if it requires a back flush before first use, and if the pump should be filled with water etc. all the salt bags are waiting with the equipment to be put in the pool.
This forum will be a great resource for me going forward.
I also have a dolphin robot which I have run to clean a bit of stuff off the bottom of the pool.

Reactions: Bassb

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.