New pool - when can we swim?

As always, you are getting some good advice here. These guys will help you out immensely. DO BUY your own test kit. Test strips are unacceptably inaccurate and will just cause you frustration. It was actually nice to see that the people currently starting up the pool actually use the same Taylor test kit as me. I was able to actually talk to them intelligently about balancing my pool.

Ok, I do have one concern. I don't believe you are getting very good advice from your pool company. The stainless steel brush they gave you for scrubbing is not recommended by my pool company or (even more importantly) the Pebbletec company themselves. The recommended (and btw, this is emphasized on the Pebbletec website) brush is a standard NYLON bristled brush. You will understand better once you try to brush your Pebbletec with that steel brush. I hope you have HUGE GUNS because if not.... LOL.. Seriously, you could damage the finish with a steel brush per Pebbletec.

BTW... it is nice to have another person starting out at the same time with almost the same pool. I have Pool School this Thursday. I am excited about learning about the control center (of course I could just read the instructions), but not so much about adjusting the chemistry of the water. I have been adjusting my water on my old Above ground pool for 6 years using the TFP process presented here and have gladly paid for the Pool Math App which is a GREAT tool. I highly recommend it!

Can't wait to see if you or I get into the pool first. LOL

Reactions: Newdude
As always, you are getting some good advice here. These guys will help you out immensely. DO BUY your own test kit. Test strips are unacceptably inaccurate and will just cause you frustration. It was actually nice to see that the people currently starting up the pool actually use the same Taylor test kit as me. I was able to actually talk to them intelligently about balancing my pool.

Ok, I do have one concern. I don't believe you are getting very good advice from your pool company. The stainless steel brush they gave you for scrubbing is not recommended by my pool company or (even more importantly) the Pebbletec company themselves. The recommended (and btw, this is emphasized on the Pebbletec website) brush is a standard NYLON bristled brush. You will understand better once you try to brush your Pebbletec with that steel brush. I hope you have HUGE GUNS because if not.... LOL.. Seriously, you could damage the finish with a steel brush per Pebbletec.

BTW... it is nice to have another person starting out at the same time with almost the same pool. I have Pool School this Thursday. I am excited about learning about the control center (of course I could just read the instructions), but not so much about adjusting the chemistry of the water. I have been adjusting my water on my old Above ground pool for 6 years using the TFP process presented here and have gladly paid for the Pool Math App which is a GREAT tool. I highly recommend it!

Can't wait to see if you or I get into the pool first. LOL
Uh oh - I was afraid I had the wrong brush! It’s actually a 50/50 nylon stainless brush. It’s definitely a work out! I’m trying to go fairly lightly but at some angles it’s not easy. The tech loaned me that brush saying he needed it back and would bring me my own (I assume a nylon?). I got a text today saying there would be another tech here tomorrow to do something so I’ll ask them. I can’t wait to get my control panel figured out. I can’t change the light colors and the pump seems to shut off when the lights come in or go off. I’m so confused! I bet you’ll be swimming before me at the rate I seem to be going! Enjoy it!

Looks like the salt test strips are an add on? I’m assuming that’s what I want?
Thanks!
All test strips are guess strips. Even those. They do serve a purpose if you ever want a kinda sorta amount with a quick spot check. But never dose from them and verify something is wrong with the K-1766 that comes in the kit. You test salt a couple times getting it right in the spring and probably once mid season. You really wont ever need the strips.

Reactions: kimkats
Ok, Gnar. Looks like I won. We jumped in yesterday, 10 days earlier than anticipated. After we had pool school, our pool company said it was safe to get in as long as the chemicals were at a safe level. It took three days after they told us that until our pH actually reached 7.2. It was way below 7.0 since they were continuing adding Muriatic acid to keep the pool acidic for "plaster curing".

Some minor items to patch up (waterfall has a spot that needs mortar, pavers need more sand, etc) but overall the first swim was wonderful. I will keep my fingers crossed for you, Gnar.

Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
Ok, Gnar. Looks like I won. We jumped in yesterday, 10 days earlier than anticipated. After we had pool school, our pool company said it was safe to get in as long as the chemicals were at a safe level. It took three days after they told us that until our pH actually reached 7.2. It was way below 7.0 since they were continuing adding Muriatic acid to keep the pool acidic for "plaster curing".

Some minor items to patch up (waterfall has a spot that needs mortar, pavers need more sand, etc) but overall the first swim was wonderful. I will keep my fingers crossed for you, Gnar.
Awesome! I'm super jealous but happy for you! My pool school never happened Friday and is tentatively re-scheduled for Wednesday. I'm hoping they start balancing my chemicals and we have a slight hope for this weekend. I've got a few stand out items as well. Water fall needs to be skim coated and textured, another coat of deck paint and some general clean up. Once I can get in it's time to get working on the yard...

... Once I can get in it's time to get working on the yard...

Oh let's not talk about the yard. All of the things you do not think about when building a pool. I did not realize until construction began that the entire backyard would be destroyed. Now we have a huge dirt pit that has to have sprinklers put in, leveled out better, and sod layed out. The costs are neverending.

BTW... did I say the water was a perfect temperature and felt wonderful. Yes, I am bragging now.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.