New pool - when can we swim?

Gnarbrah

Apr 24, 2022
Florida
Hi all - just joined because I just finished filling my pool last night. Super exciting but have a lot of questions. The main question is when can we swim??
Signed the papers about a year ago and we just got everything done. Start up happens tomorrow and I hope to get some answers then. My original project manager was great and super knowledgeable but he left the company and I got a new kid. He’s super nice but just doesn’t have ANY answers! We’ve got a gunite in ground with the pebble finish. It looks SO inviting but we’re staying out of it much to the dismay of my 11 year old daughter!
I’ve done a bunch of reading but still don’t know what to tell her as to when she can get in. The plaster was installed 3 days ago and they acid washed it 2 days ago. Any insight as to what I can expect is appreciated!
Thanks!

There is no wait period to swim in a new pool. Check your chlorine and pH and post here the results. I suggest a TF-100 test kit they are highly accurate. If you have a saltwater pool, you will wait 30 days to add salt and turn on the SWG meanwhile chlorinate with liquid chlorine (bleach) or chlorine pucks.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Wait - what?? I’ve read forum after forum saying you have to brush until there’s no more dust and the plaster can get damaged until it cures?

Typically you would not run a vacuum or the heater for the first 30 days. Otherwise it is safe to swim in. Some builders tell you wait a week. Some say go right away. I waited just 24 hours for the initial plaster cure and then jumped in.

I’m so confused! Right now it’s just straight up hose water. No chemicals and the pump isn’t even on. I guess I’ll wait for start up guy tomorrow and see what he says. I’ve run a net around to scoop up some leaves and it seems to have picked up a mild blue tinge from the plaster.

I’m so confused! Right now it’s just straight up hose water. No chemicals and the pump isn’t even on. I guess I’ll wait for start up guy tomorrow and see what he says. I’ve run a net around to scoop up some leaves and it seems to have picked up a mild blue tinge from the plaster.
We make coffee from and take showers in hose water so no reason to wait.

Last edited:

You need to get some chorine in asap. You could wait until tomorrow I suppose. Main thing is get a proper test kit like the Tf-100. TFP methods work well with proper testing. Test strips are not accurate and pool store testing is not accurate. Main thing you need asap is chlorine and cyanuric acid (CYA) (also known as stabilizer). With any luck your builder will bring this with him. I was given a pile of pucks and told "good luck!".

A full set of chemical levels are here: What Are My Ideal Pool Levels?

Please fill out your sig-line here -> https://www.troublefreepool.com/account/signature

Already some good info - thanks! I’ll be looking into the TF-100 now. I figured chlorine would be the first thing I need. Just hoping the start up guy takes care of that. I’m still trying to figure out how many gallons my pool is. The paperwork says 12,800 but I’d like to verify that. Is there an online calculator for that? It’s a free form kidney shaped pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Already some good info - thanks! I’ll be looking into the TF-100 now. I figured chlorine would be the first thing I need. Just hoping the start up guy takes care of that. I’m still trying to figure out how many gallons my pool is. The paperwork says 12,800 but I’d like to verify that. Is there an online calculator for that? It’s a free form kidney shaped pool.

The bottom of this page has a pool volume estimator. PoolMath

Leslie's like most pool stores, has limited knowledge about pools and pool operations. They have some smart people but really the primary goal is to sell you stuff that you do not need. You really don't need anything at all from them. 4-6 weeks - ROFL!

Do you have a saltwater pool? The only chemicals I ever buy is CYA (1 25lb box lasts like 2 years) and muriatic acid. I put about a gallon a week into my pool. You can buy it anywhere like Home Depot. CYA I get online. Once you have a full set of testing post them here for guidance on how to get your pool balanced.

PLEASE for the love of your money do NOT ask the Pool $tore anything about caring for a pool!!!! The only thing they are good for is selling your bulk liquid chlorine and maybe some toys for the pool!

See the back story on MANY of us here at TFP is the pool $tore did our pools more harm than good AND charged us a lot of money to ruin our pools :( I am one of those people.

Yeah they will test your water for "free" BUT is it really free if you walk out of there with an arm full of stuff and an empty wallet??

I have a set of links to share with you. Now it is a lot of info we will can walk you through the most important stuff first.

What is in your pool is what you took a shower in last night. CANNON BALL!

There are many different ways of caring for a pool. It is up to you to pick ONE and follow it. TFP's way is based on CURRENT science. The rest of the pool world is starting to embrace this "new way" of pool care. The "old" way is not science based at all as they did not really understand the whys and what for before.

How to start up new plaster:
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Oh and notice there is one start up where you cannot get in for a while. Your pool was not started up that way if they did an acid wash..............................CANNON BALL!!!

Reactions: narisa10
GnarBrah,

We just got our inground pool put in as well. It sounds like it is exactly like yours, freeform with peebletec. We were told the same thing that we should:
  1. Not get in the pool until the dust from the plaster is gone. They quoted a month. (sounds familiar?)
  2. Brush the pool twice a day for two weeks and then once a day to after that up until the end of the month when you can get in. This is to loosen and remove any lose particles from the peebletec and stir up the dust for the filters to get
  3. Do not put salt in until the end of the first month
Our pool was filled and the pumps turned on a week and a half ago. We have been patiently brushing and reminiscing about getting in. We were given complementary pool service for three months which I think is a way of trying to get you to hire them after that. They have started adding the chemicals. The service actually uses a Taylor kit to test just like mine. However, my testing is a bit more "by the book" so I compared what they got to what my tests said. They actually retested and met my results. :) I tested a couple days after they added the chemicals just to ensure everything was going well.

Bottom Line for us: We could probably be in the pool swimming and having a great time right now. However so that we can keep that peebletec lifetime warranty and not give the builder any chance of being able to point blame anywhere, we are abiding by their rules. Plus we will not be hiring anyone to take care of our pool. TFP has done great for me these many years with my aboveground and I trust their process with my inground.

But believe me, in a couple more weeks, we are going to be "Cannonball" into that pool!

GnarBrah,

We just got our inground pool put in as well. It sounds like it is exactly like yours, freeform with peebletec. We were told the same thing that we should:
  1. Not get in the pool until the dust from the plaster is gone. They quoted a month. (sounds familiar?)
  2. Brush the pool twice a day for two weeks and then once a day to after that up until the end of the month when you can get in. This is to loosen and remove any lose particles from the peebletec and stir up the dust for the filters to get
  3. Do not put salt in until the end of the first month
Our pool was filled and the pumps turned on a week and a half ago. We have been patiently brushing and reminiscing about getting in. We were given complementary pool service for three months which I think is a way of trying to get you to hire them after that. They have started adding the chemicals. The service actually uses a Taylor kit to test just like mine. However, my testing is a bit more "by the book" so I compared what they got to what my tests said. They actually retested and met my results. :) I tested a couple days after they added the chemicals just to ensure everything was going well.

Bottom Line for us: We could probably be in the pool swimming and having a great time right now. However so that we can keep that peebletec lifetime warranty and not give the builder any chance of being able to point blame anywhere, we are abiding by their rules. Plus we will not be hiring anyone to take care of our pool. TFP has done great for me these many years with my aboveground and I trust their process with my inground.

But believe me, in a couple more weeks, we are going to be "Cannonball" into that pool!
It does sound very similar! Start up guy just left. He got the pump up and running and dumped 8 gallons of acid in the pool. Gave me a stainless steel brush and told me to brush twice a day for a week (I'll probably go two weeks) and then once a day like you said. He said he'd be back later this week to do something else chemical wise but not exactly sure what.
Same deal that salt goes in after a month but we could likely be swimming in 3 weeks.
My daughter is so mad!!!!
Nice to see the water moving at least!

Ok they are doing a hot start. Do you have a pH test yet? For sure you can't swim in water that acidic but keep an eye on the pH.

Ok they are doing a hot start. Do you have a pH test yet? For sure you can't swim in water that acidic but keep an eye on the pH.
The start up guy told me the acid was to help "even" out the pebble. Honestly I think it looks pretty good but maybe it'll get better as I brush and the days go on? No test kit yet. They're supposed to give me one (probably junk) Friday when I have pool school. Is the TF-100 the go to kit I need?

The start up guy told me the acid was to help "even" out the pebble. Honestly I think it looks pretty good but maybe it'll get better as I brush and the days go on? No test kit yet. They're supposed to give me one (probably junk) Friday when I have pool school. Is the TF-100 the go to kit I need?

Yep order asap. Order the K-1766 salt test kit as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.