new pool - what to get?

hummingbirdpool

Jul 10, 2019
Newton, MA
Hello TFP folks,
I know very little to nothing about pools except that I love to swim in them. I have a VERY small yard, but I want to put in a small pool, like an endless pool, so I can exercise. I do NOT use a current, I just strap a swim bungee cord around my ankles to swim in place.

I've been told that instead of having a pool built, it would be easier/cheaper to just buy a spa/pool. What do you think?
If I do buy a spa/pool, and I don't care about a current, which one should I get? There seem to be a lot of different brands!
I was also told that I could heat it in the winter and use it as a hot tub or a pool all year long (in New England). Is this true?!

Any help you can give me is so appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!
There are 'spools', sort of above ground or partially above ground fiberglass units with a cover. Have not heard of any on the forum, so go a searching!
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

I saw just what you're looking for at a home show this year. I think it was a "Michael Phelps" line of spools. It looked just like a huge long hot tub.

You can heat a hot tub in the fall and winter, and just leave it off for cooler water in the summer. We used to do that with our hot tub for the grandbabies. They thought it was a pool just for them!

Maddie :flower:

A friend has one of the endless pool swim spas. It is about two hottub lengths long and has the current you swim into. It also has heat so it can be used in the winter but she said it does not get as hot as a hottub and is too much of a pain to try and heat because it is pretty big so they just drain it for the winter and refill in the spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.