New pool weird hole

Shek

Mar 27, 2019
New pool by builder.
As we came to look at the house. We noticed a weird looking spot in the bottom of the pool.
We asked about it. And of course they Said it would be fixed
EDITING - Sorry for the confusion!
1st picture is how the pool looked in Dec 2018
2nd and 3rd are after the water was removed around January 13th when we noticed the hole. So yes that was at the gunite stage!
4th photo is after the pool was filled.
A few days later, we came back and they had painted the pool and right over the hole!
We told them it didn’t seem right. And it wasn’t acceptable!
They had the pool company do something that looks like a patch and they filled it!
Which I think should not have happened, since it’s a new house and new pool!
So when we had the pool company out, that person said this pool was sited to not fill!
But I think they did this patch, and then filled it, so we would close!
Does anyone have any idea from these photos. What could be going on here?
We are New pool owners!
Shek D385321E-77AE-4048-8CA3-120FDF4E61C9.jpeg0B7401B0-CB55-4EF2-9525-319361E0367D.jpeg9AE7F918-FDB8-4C45-A6CE-95FA209CE0E0.jpeg84DBABEC-169D-4DE6-9644-F4F789E709A3.jpeg

Last edited:
Shek,

It appears to me that the pool is just at the gunite stage.. It should have plaster before the pool gets filled with water. The patch to the gunite is just fine.

You need to look the pool people in the eye and find out what needs to be done before the pool is finished.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Shek
The first pic shows the pvc lines are still stubbed and caped. The pool is not yet plastered and completed. You don’t have the pump and equipment running yet.

Right now you own a hole in the ground. It will be a pool once it is plastered, finished, and equipment is running.

Post pics of what the equipment pad looks like.

The pool in post #4 looks plastered and finished with pvc completed. That should be ready for water.

I am confused between the pics in #1 and #4 what you have happening.

The pool in post #4 looks plastered and finished with pvc completed. That should be ready for water.

I am confused between the pics in #1 and #4 what you have happening.
Yes in photo #1 it is in gunite stage
The very last photo of the pool no water is before the patch and water.
#4 (blue looking photo) is of the patch and filled with water yes!
But they added the patch after the pool was painted, also all within 24 hours!
Doesn’t the paint and the patch need more time to cure before it’s filled?
Being a new pool, I don’t think it should look this way!
I just don’t want to have any problems with this!
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
You keep saying paint. I truly hope that is just a mis understanding on your part. They used plaster to finish the pool, right?

Paint and plaster are two different surfaces. Your pool looks like it has plaster not paint.

A plaster pool is filled within a few hours after the plaster is completed. Pool plaster cures and hardens wet under water over a period of months.

That hole in the gunite looks like a footprint. It should have not been a problem to fill it in during the plaster application. Plaster can be an inch or two thick.

Where are you located? Is this pool outdoors or indoors?

The first pic shows the pvc lines are still stubbed and caped. The pool is not yet plastered and completed. You don’t have the pump and equipment running yet.

Right now you own a hole in the ground. It will be a pool once it is plastered, finished, and equipment is running.

Post pics of what the equipment pad looks like.
You keep saying paint. I truly hope that is just a mis understanding on your part. They used plaster to finish the pool, right?
Haha I
Haha yes I’m gonna say it’s plaster It looks like paint to me. 1st time with an in ground pool!
I will post a photo of the equipment pad tomorrow. We are in Bradenton Florida.
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Paint and plaster are two different surfaces. Your pool looks like it has plaster not paint.

A plaster pool is filled within a few hours after the plaster is completed. Pool plaster cures and hardens wet under water over a period of months.

That hole in the gunite looks like a footprint. It should have not been a problem to fill it in during the plaster application. Plaster can be an inch or two thick.

Yes it’s plaster! It’s outdoors and they did not fill in the hole while plastering any thicker than the rest of the pool. But they did add the patch on top of the plaster.

It is plaster with pebble stone.
Glad to hear it cures in a few hours. ?

Yes it’s plaster! It’s outdoors and they did not fill in the hole while plastering any thicker than the rest of the pool. But they did add the patch on top of the plaster.

Now I understand better. Really no way to make that “patch” look perfect. Many plaster jobs have flaws. It is just cosmetic.

It is plaster with pebble stone.
Glad to hear it cures in a few hours. ?

Actually it takes months for plaster to totally cure. And plaster needs special care for the first 28 days. When was the pool filled? Who has been maintaining the water chemistry?

Actually it takes months for plaster to totally cure. And plaster needs special care for the first 28 days. When was the pool filled? Who has been maintaining the water chemistry?
Filled January 21st
And we have the pool companies hired pool maintenance people maintaining it weekly!
What special care for the first 28 days? The pool school didn’t happen until about 3-4 weeks after filled.

We had pool school and received a test kit. We have a pool person once a week for testing and maintaining chemicals. We also do some scrubbing during the week.?

Our pool care methods are different then most pool services. They really can’t be mixed. We believe pool owners should do their own testing and can do a better job then pool services in maintaining their pool. Should you become dissatisfied with your pool service we have an alternative for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.