New Pool w/ Falls & Slide in Baton Rouge, LA

Good job getting them to fix that coping! No way my PB would have done that! How stressful the mortar color situation must be but you seem to have handled it very well.
The stonework on the slide/waterfall is just gorgeous! I love the rock handrails!! They are true artisans!
I can not wait to see you pool finished!

Thanks for the tips on the planters! I'm really glad to hear "no stones", because I really didn't want to have to deal with finding more mortar color again! Nothing happened today, but they did come back yesterday to acid wash ALL of the stone and do a general clean up both in and around the pool. What a difference the acid wash makes! I forgot that the coping wasn't supposed to be a light grey stone for a while there. Below are some pics from yesterday.

I'm also going to make another post with some ideas I had for landscaping to get everyone's thoughts and suggestions.

We managed to fit myself, daughter, son and dog (Cochise) all on the landing. They all loved running up and down the new steps, especially Cochise, although he's still a little nervous about getting started up or down.

Forgot to post this pic of the step lights. I had the bright idea (pun intended) yesterday (the day after stone work was done) to add a light at the top of the landing to light that area and the slide entrance. Something I should have included from the beginning, but just didn't think of it. Anyway, I talked with Ricardo, and he says he'll be able to add one there without much trouble. 2nd picture below shows the general plan using the lighting wire that already exists in the top planter above the waterfall and drilling hole through mortar. The light will be the same as we're using for the waterfall, which will fit perfectly in a little cove of stone...almost like they set the stone like that on purpose but forgot the light. I ordered the light today and should be able to install next week.

Last edited:
So below are some ideas I had for landscaping. I sure would love to know everyone's thoughts on these ideas and what other suggestions you may have for the 5 planter areas (2 in decking, 2 by waterfall and 1 on top of waterfall) and the bed against the house. As shown on the original plans, we're also planning to put 2 or 3 Sylvester palms around the back perimeter of the decking/back wall. The only questionable one is the one in the middle behind the slide just due to the height that it would have to be for someone walking up to the slide not to get whacked in the head (or even worse...the eye). So we might just do one on the left and one on the right. Anyway, all opinions are welcome. We do plan to meet soon with my stone guy's wife who has a landscaping co., but wanted to get some good ideas prior to our meeting.

Of course, all of these photos look great in their own setting. The trick is figuring out which bits and pieces will work with my setting. Some of these plants I'm not sure the name of, so feel free to tell me if you know.

General plans showing planters and beds

Tiers/levels separated by stones (for sides of waterfall)

Red plants (for sides of waterfall)

Needle Palms (for sides of waterfall)

Plants (for sides of waterfall)

Juniper for top planter and sides of waterfall and maybe decking planter

Small Palms for decking planters

Floss Flower for decking planters – Repels Mosquitos

Lavender for decking planters – Repels Mosquitos

Agapanthus for decking planters and maybe sides of waterfall

Dwarf Azaleas for bed against house & possibly side of waterfall

Italian Cypress Tiny Tower for bed against house

That acid wash did SO much good in bringing out the colors! Lets us see what it SHOULD look like! WOW! The picture of all of you on landing! CUTE! Do you think Cochise will go down the slide in time? THAT will be a sight to see!

I gave a shout out to Suz! She knows ALL about plants and her backyard is AWESOME! For me.............I LOVE the planters by the waterfall with the big rocks you posted. THAT is an wonderful look! Suz might even know the names. I just know they are pretty! LOL

Kim:cat:

That acid wash did SO much good in bringing out the colors! Lets us see what it SHOULD look like! WOW! The picture of all of you on landing! CUTE! Do you think Cochise will go down the slide in time? THAT will be a sight to see!

I gave a shout out to Suz! She knows ALL about plants and her backyard is AWESOME! For me.............I LOVE the planters by the waterfall with the big rocks you posted. THAT is an wonderful look! Suz might even know the names. I just know they are pretty! LOL

Ha! That certainly would be a sight to see, but no I don't think he'll ever go down the slide on his own. There is a slight chance he might go down with one of us, but he needs to get comfortable with being in water first, which he has never really done.

I'm not sure which waterfall pic you're referring to, but definitely any recommendations are welcome! I met with my builder and plumber today (for the shower), and my plumber actually suggested moving the mound of dirt in the back corner over to the right and closer to the pool and building sort of a hill for planting things as well. We were also thinking it may help tone down the height of the waterfall area as well as soften it up. I'm wondering if I do that could I still plant a Sylvester palm there and how high up the palm trunk can I put dirt and mulch without hurting the palm. Still not sure if I want to do the "hill" or not, but I guess it just depends on what sort of plants/trees would work there along with all the other areas. This is the area we're talking about:

I love the stair lights!

Thanks! Really glad I decided to do individual step lights instead of the 3 spot lights mounted on the railing.

Did you know agapanthus only bloom in the spring? I wasn't sure if you wanted something that bloomed more than that. Mine are actually just finishing up blooming. Also, another alternative to Italian cypress would be Slender Silhouette Sweetgums. They will give you color in the fall, but also are deciduous, which you may not want. We planted them at the back of our pool.

I THINK the plants for the side of the waterfall are Birds of Paradise, but I could be wrong. Unfortunately, I don't know what the red plants for the side of the waterfall are...maybe a kind of ginger??

Love all of your rockwork! Your pool is beautiful!! I showed my daughter your slide..she's so jealous! She wanted a slide so bad!! We are planning on doing some of the plants/trees you posted pics of...Windmill palms, cannas, banana tree, etc. Also some elephant ears, hibiscus, and day lilies. I am wanting a tropical look, ya know, so I can pretend like I'm on vacation :) I still don't quite know what Im doing with it all, but our landscape guy is just going to bring a bunch of stuff out so we can arrange and rearrange to my liking. Good luck and can't wait to see what you choose!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I gave a shout out to Suz! She knows ALL about plants and her backyard is AWESOME! For me.............I LOVE the planters by the waterfall with the big rocks you posted. THAT is an wonderful look! Suz might even know the names. I just know they are pretty! LOL Kim:cat:

What an amazing build!!! It says nothing but fun all over the place!! All the rock work reminds me of an old world castle full of mystery and intrigue. I don't know as much as Kim says. Bmore and Helen are super landscapers and gardeners. Be sure to check out their builds. But I always have an opinion and happy to share what I do know. Keep in mind, most of what I say is opinion and not based on knowledge.

Thanks for your terrific photos with the circles around what you like in each. I love that! What kind of a look are you going for - tropical or arid or a combination? Palms seem to go either way. It might be easier to go with a tropical look for the Baton Rouge area. I do want to pass on what I just learned last week - sago palms are very poisonous to dogs and cats. Here's a quick quote from a Google page: "Sago Palm and Dogs - Sago Palm Poisonous to Dogs and Cats Sago Palm and Dogs - Sago Palm Poisonous to Dogs and Cats All parts of sago palm are considered poisonous, with the seeds (nuts) being the most toxic part of the plant. Sago palm contains cycasin, which is the primary active toxic agent resulting in severe liver failure in dogs." I don't know anything about palms, so I can't say if there are any sagos in your inspiration pictures. It's important to check out all of the plants you select to make sure they won't pose a danger to Cochise.

I love Bmore's idea of using ornamental grasses to spill over the deck or rocks. There are some gorgeous ones with beautiful, subtle colors. Check that they don't have a lot of seeds or 'blowy stuff' to be a headache in the pool. Marla brought up a good point about agapanthus blooming only once a year. It's a decent blooming period, but when it's over, it's over. I used to not like them because of that. Now I love them for their lush green blades that you see year round. They can fill in an area beautifully, and they aren't invasive or messy. Mine are right next to the pool, and the blooms haven't been a problem.

I can't help at all with the cedars or junipers. To each his own - I've never liked them. It doesn't help my opinion that I'm very allergic to cedars and junipers. (sneezing now as I think about it!) But the junipers you show above would look nice growing in and around the rocks. Being a low growing plant, they would show well on the hillside. To me they don't have a very tropical look.

I haven't read all of your thread, so I don't know if you guys enjoy gardening and taking care of plants. If you have your own yard/plant maintenance guys, then there's no limit to what you can plant. Otherwise, pick plants that will be fairly easy to maintain especially in any hard to reach areas. Sorry if you know all these things, but I don't know what you know! And some landscapers will steer you to what is available now, not necessarily what you want or low maintenace. I love to have things blooming all year, so I usually shop each season and see what the nurseries have in bloom. That gives me a better chance that it will bloom in my garden. For me, gardens are a building process, but I LOVE shopping for plants. In the beginning, you may not want to fill every square inch if you like the idea of filling in and planting with the blooming seasonal plants. I used to love my annuals, because of their gorgeous colors. As I get creakier with age, I've moved to the perennials. I don't have to replace them and they're usually hardier, too. Some annuals behave as perennials in our climate - allysum, verbena, impatiens (in a mild winter), etc. You'll have even better luck in Baton Rouge.

If you're going for a more arid look, I'm not any help there. For tropical, here are some plants I like: bougainvillea, hibiscus, many of the butterfly-attracting plants, lantana ever-blooming day lillies. Now I'm drawing a blank and I'm out of time. I'll get back to you - I know I know more than those! Lol!!!!

If you need more help, let us know the look you're going for. I might be able to help better that way.
Take care,
Suz

Did you know agapanthus only bloom in the spring? I wasn't sure if you wanted something that bloomed more than that. Mine are actually just finishing up blooming. Also, another alternative to Italian cypress would be Slender Silhouette Sweetgums. They will give you color in the fall, but also are deciduous, which you may not want. We planted them at the back of our pool.

I THINK the plants for the side of the waterfall are Birds of Paradise, but I could be wrong. Unfortunately, I don't know what the red plants for the side of the waterfall are...maybe a kind of ginger??

We have some agapanthus now and (like Suz mentioned) we really like the green blades own their own. The blooms would just be an added bonus. The more I think about it, I think the cypress and sweetgums would look nice, but probably wouldn't really "go" with the tropical look we're going for, so I may consider the camellias (which we also already have in the front of the house) for the bed against the house.

I googled "Birds of Paradise", and it does look like one of the ones I posted. Very interesting blooms...I didn't know they even bloomed...nice surprise. I'm really liking those for the sides of the falls.

Love all of your rockwork! Your pool is beautiful!! I showed my daughter your slide..she's so jealous! She wanted a slide so bad!! We are planning on doing some of the plants/trees you posted pics of...Windmill palms, cannas, banana tree, etc. Also some elephant ears, hibiscus, and day lilies. I am wanting a tropical look, ya know, so I can pretend like I'm on vacation :) I still don't quite know what Im doing with it all, but our landscape guy is just going to bring a bunch of stuff out so we can arrange and rearrange to my liking. Good luck and can't wait to see what you choose!

Thanks! We are all looking forward to the slide. Thanks for identifying the red plants as cannas! We really like those. We're going for the tropical look as well (and as low maintenance as possible!).

The waterfall pics I LOVE are the first two........plants on levels with stone between. SO pretty and interest. Of course I will not be the one caring for them so.........LOL

Gotcha! Yeah, I like those too. I'm just not sure I have enough room in the WF planters for boulders and plants (not to mention a 12" diameter speaker in the one on the left). If I do the hill on the back right side, that might be a nice thing to try there.

What an amazing build!!! It says nothing but fun all over the place!! All the rock work reminds me of an old world castle full of mystery and intrigue. I don't know as much as Kim says. Bmore and Helen are super landscapers and gardeners. Be sure to check out their builds. But I always have an opinion and happy to share what I do know. Keep in mind, most of what I say is opinion and not based on knowledge.

Thanks for your terrific photos with the circles around what you like in each. I love that! What kind of a look are you going for - tropical or arid or a combination? Palms seem to go either way. It might be easier to go with a tropical look for the Baton Rouge area. I do want to pass on what I just learned last week - sago palms are very poisonous to dogs and cats. Here's a quick quote from a Google page: "Sago Palm and Dogs - Sago Palm Poisonous to Dogs and Cats Sago Palm and Dogs - Sago Palm Poisonous to Dogs and Cats All parts of sago palm are considered poisonous, with the seeds (nuts) being the most toxic part of the plant. Sago palm contains cycasin, which is the primary active toxic agent resulting in severe liver failure in dogs." I don't know anything about palms, so I can't say if there are any sagos in your inspiration pictures. It's important to check out all of the plants you select to make sure they won't pose a danger to Cochise.

I love Bmore's idea of using ornamental grasses to spill over the deck or rocks. There are some gorgeous ones with beautiful, subtle colors. Check that they don't have a lot of seeds or 'blowy stuff' to be a headache in the pool. Marla brought up a good point about agapanthus blooming only once a year. It's a decent blooming period, but when it's over, it's over. I used to not like them because of that. Now I love them for their lush green blades that you see year round. They can fill in an area beautifully, and they aren't invasive or messy. Mine are right next to the pool, and the blooms haven't been a problem.

I can't help at all with the cedars or junipers. To each his own - I've never liked them. It doesn't help my opinion that I'm very allergic to cedars and junipers. (sneezing now as I think about it!) But the junipers you show above would look nice growing in and around the rocks. Being a low growing plant, they would show well on the hillside. To me they don't have a very tropical look.

I haven't read all of your thread, so I don't know if you guys enjoy gardening and taking care of plants. If you have your own yard/plant maintenance guys, then there's no limit to what you can plant. Otherwise, pick plants that will be fairly easy to maintain especially in any hard to reach areas. Sorry if you know all these things, but I don't know what you know! And some landscapers will steer you to what is available now, not necessarily what you want or low maintenace. I love to have things blooming all year, so I usually shop each season and see what the nurseries have in bloom. That gives me a better chance that it will bloom in my garden. For me, gardens are a building process, but I LOVE shopping for plants. In the beginning, you may not want to fill every square inch if you like the idea of filling in and planting with the blooming seasonal plants. I used to love my annuals, because of their gorgeous colors. As I get creakier with age, I've moved to the perennials. I don't have to replace them and they're usually hardier, too. Some annuals behave as perennials in our climate - allysum, verbena, impatiens (in a mild winter), etc. You'll have even better luck in Baton Rouge.

If you're going for a more arid look, I'm not any help there. For tropical, here are some plants I like: bougainvillea, hibiscus, many of the butterfly-attracting plants, lantana ever-blooming day lillies. Now I'm drawing a blank and I'm out of time. I'll get back to you - I know I know more than those! Lol!!!!

If you need more help, let us know the look you're going for. I might be able to help better that way.
Take care,
Suz

Ha! Yeah, my stone guy said it's like having Mayan ruins in my backyard.:lol: We're going for a tropical look. I have heard that Sago's were poisonous, but I didn't know it was ALL parts. I may need to look into that, but I'm leaning away from those anyway. We had some at our previous house, and I didn't much care for them. They always seem to outgrow their surroundings, which becomes a pain later to remove, especially considering the poisonous issue.

I like the agapanthus too, for the reasons you mentioned. They also tend to grow pretty large, but are much easier to "split" when they get to big for their britches. You're right about the junipers (and cypress)...not very tropical looking. Something to consider for the hill side though if I end up doing that.

It's a mix of myself and a maintenance guy that comes maybe 4 times a year (late spring, summer, fall and after the first cold snap), but yes, LOW MAINTENANCE is definitely a goal of mine with this! I'm also a fan of "space" and breathing room for plants to keep things looking fresh and new.

I'm really liking the verbena you mentioned for the top planter above the waterfall. This picture shows how it may "spill over" the wall, which I think would really help to soften up all the stone in that area.

The Bougainvillea seems like it may work equally well for that location. Although, I get the impression those would spread out a lot more and may even "walk down the wall", which might be kinda cool.

Oh, how could I forget the camellias famous in Louisiana! They would give a lush, tropical look. They don't bloom all year, but their foliage is lovely.

That's a good idea! I'm thinking those would work well to replace the Italian Cypress along the bed against the house alternating them with the mini azaleas.

If you'd like and it's not too late, I'd enjoy doing some research to add to your bag of ideas. I did a little this afternoon in case you were going tropical. I found some good tropical sites/nurseries for your area. It seems you guys have some gorgeous tropical gardens in and around Baton Rouge! In your spare time (ha ha), take a trip to one or more, and shoot photos of your favorite plants. Usually there are plenty of volunteers working there who have years of experience with plants in that area. They love sharing what they know and giving advice on new gardens. If you can, go before the heat sets in.

I'm really excited for you and your family - a fabulous new pool and lovely gardens in your own backyard! Life is good, right?!!

If you'd like and it's not too late, I'd enjoy doing some research to add to your bag of ideas. I did a little this afternoon in case you were going tropical. I found some good tropical sites/nurseries for your area. It seems you guys have some gorgeous tropical gardens in and around Baton Rouge! In your spare time (ha ha), take a trip to one or more, and shoot photos of your favorite plants. Usually there are plenty of volunteers working there who have years of experience with plants in that area. They love sharing what they know and giving advice on new gardens. If you can, go before the heat sets in.

I'm really excited for you and your family - a fabulous new pool and lovely gardens in your own backyard! Life is good, right?!!

Suz, it's not too late for sure. I would very much appreciate anymore ideas/research you can offer. Yes, Louisiana Nursery is one of the more popular nurseries with several locations in Baton Rouge. They've always been very helpful to me. Nature's Own has nothing but palms (but no website). There's also Clegg's and Harb's Oasis. I might go hit a few between the storms this weekend. I've already gone to Nature's Own and talked to the main guy (Mike) there about the Sylvester's. He didn't recommend the Needle Palms for the waterfall planters. He said they are very sharp and would require constant clipping of the ends to make them safe for being around a pool.

Anyway, yes, my [optimistic] goal is to have all the landscaping done before they plaster so that none of the soil/mulch/etc. "pollutes" the water during planting. Also because the waterfall planters will be much easier to establish when the pool is empty. My only concern is the spray deck step. I'm wondering if I should do that before landscaping, especially the decking planters. So maybe spray deck, then landscaping, then plaster?

That's a good idea to have most of the landscaping done so it doesn't get into the water. That's a problem I've been having and with all of the rain, we've had no time to plant anything. And it's raining again ....

LOVE your pool build! Just wanted to say hello from Baton Rouge, LA :)

Thanks! Hello to you too neighbor!

It's been pretty uneventful this week, but today we did get the outdoor shower installed and most of the equipment set and plumbed. Still a short little run left to do from the filter to the return line, which includes the chlorinator and Ozone injection manifold, but we couldn't do that today because the manifold won't be in until Friday...also, we ran out of time. This little bit if piping took just about all day due to the tight area and zero room for error. We had to move real slow, dry fit just about everything as we went and really think about every little connection 2 or 3 times before we moved forward...especially on the 3" suction manifold. Luckily no major issues and so far I think it's turning out very nice. Note that I do plan to go back and paint the white pipes (2.5" and 3" PVC pipe is just about impossible to find in black) and grey fittings black after it's all done.

Pics from the day...

Shower install (via washer plumbing tie-in)

Sheet rock repair that I get to do this weekend so we can wash clothes!

Neat and tidy! NICE job! Love the shower! Pretty color and shape. Nice pick.

Who needs to wash clothes????? LOL better hurry with that drywall work!

Thanks. Very productive day today. The doorbell was my alarm this morning. Plumbers showed up at 7:00 to tackle the valve boxes. After 3 trips to Home Depot to pick up various pipe fittings (I was the runner), we got both boxes set just before noon and before the rain, which I was very relieved about. After a quick lunch, I jumped on the drywall and started sanding all the compound that I applied yesterday. I really hate sanding drywall compound :grrrr:,but by 5:00, I had it all sanded, textured and 2 coats of paint. It's not the best drywall patch job (in fact, it's pretty bad), but my motivation was diminished knowing that the washer and dryer would be pretty much covering up all of my work. Unfortunately though, one of the leveling feet broke on the washer, so I had to glue it back together, which meant I couldn't get clothes washed today...oh well...should be able to get it done this week.

Also, we went and looked at more plaster colors on Saturday with PB and finally decided on Bahama Breeze (Quartzite) plaster color with glow in the dark accent tiles.

Pictures of the valve box work today. Laundry wall pics to follow this week. Time to catch up on Thrones now!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.