New Pool w/ Falls & Slide in Baton Rouge, LA

SWEET! Swimming by the end of the weekend!

I have been thinking about the spray bottle for the sealer.......I bet that would be SO much easier and not as messy as any other way!

Kim:cat:

We'll have 3 hoses filing, so hopefully we'll be filled by end of weekend...not sure about swimming by then though. What's the typical wait time from filled to swim?

I tried the pump sprayer, which might have worked pretty well, but my nozzle wasn't allowing me to really adjust it to a good fan spray, so I just grabbed a spray bottle that was handy. Both of those are way quicker than a brush or sponge, but there were a spots where I used a brush (slide railing) where I didn't want any overspray at all. Next time I might invest in a pump sprayer of a little higher quality...oh and I'll do it when it's much cooler too! No choice this time obviously.

It's 1:30 now and it's looking just about done. They said they should be able to acid wash around 2:00, then rinse, then fill. We'll see.

We'll have 3 hoses filing, so hopefully we'll be filled by end of weekend...not sure about swimming by then though. What's the typical wait time from filled to swim?

I tried the pump sprayer, which might have worked pretty well, but my nozzle wasn't allowing me to really adjust it to a good fan spray, so I just grabbed a spray bottle that was handy. Both of those are way quicker than a brush or sponge, but there were a spots where I used a brush (slide railing) where I didn't want any overspray at all. Next time I might invest in a pump sprayer of a little higher quality...oh and I'll do it when it's much cooler too! No choice this time obviously.

It's 1:30 now and it's looking just about done. They said they should be able to acid wash around 2:00, then rinse, then fill. We'll see.

I'd wait for others to chime in to be sure but I've seen plenty of pictures of people playing in the water during the fill. Your fill water is the same that you put in your bath water so it should be safe. My only concern would be any residual from the acid wash but I think they power wash with plain water after the acid so that shouldn't be an issue either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet I already gave you this link but am too lazy to go back in your thread to see so here is it. This link will tell you how TFP says to start up plaster BUT run it by your PB and show him your test kit and see what he says. What he says goes as he has holds the warranty card!

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

I am also going to give you the list of links I give new pool owners. It is a LOT of info. so take it a bite at a time. This will help keep your out of the Pool $tore and your wallet fat!

Here are some links you will need when you are starting up a pool.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

I bet I already gave you this link but am too lazy to go back in your thread to see so here is it. This link will tell you how TFP says to start up plaster BUT run it by your PB and show him your test kit and see what he says. What he says goes as he has holds the warranty card!

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

I am also going to give you the list of links I give new pool owners. It is a LOT of info. so take it a bite at a time. This will help keep your out of the Pool $tore and your wallet fat!

Here are some links you will need when you are starting up a pool.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Wow! Thanks for all of the info! I've got a lot of reading to do apparently.

Fill is going pretty quick. Started at 4:30. I'm watching the meter and I have a rough idea of the volume it "should be". If my rough idea is reasonably close, we should be filled by about 1am using 3 hoses.

Wow! Thanks for all of the info! I've got a lot of reading to do apparently.

Fill is going pretty quick. Started at 4:30. I'm watching the meter and I have a rough idea of the volume it "should be". If my rough idea is reasonably close, we should be filled by about 1am using 3 hoses.

Are the kids excited to wake up and see it tomorrow?!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, finished filling right at midnight with 13,824 gallons in 7.5 hours with 3 hoses...quicker than expected. I'll post pictures in the daylight tomorrow (I mean today). Until then, below are some pictures from the very busy and long day. I really love the way the shower basin turned out with the pebble/glass bead plaster. What I didn't love was the 2-3 hours it took me, my wife and PB sifting through the glass beads to take out all the reds to get enough blues and greens. PB thought he had a bag of blue only at his shop, but not the case. So for time and sanity's sake, we decided we could live with blue and green (but not red).

Truck arrives

Acid washing to start

Setting glow tiles

Plastering (from the time stamps you can see these guys were at it ALL DAY!)

Acid washing again

Shower basin beads

Shower basin plastering...this was his first time plastering a shower he said

Magic!

Filling...can't wait!

LOVE the smile on her face! CUTE!

They were working hard! WOW!

Process for the shower pad was neat to watch......It really shows how they do it. They had to break out the little tools for that. The rounded edges really look neat! It was neat to see the half clean and half not clean as they sprayed the plaster off the beads. What a difference.

:shock: on having to fish out the reds. Were you crossed eyed by the time you were done? LOL Well worth it though!

It is going to be interesting to see how the plaster does out of standing water.

LOVE the smile on her face! CUTE!

They were working hard! WOW!

Process for the shower pad was neat to watch......It really shows how they do it. They had to break out the little tools for that. The rounded edges really look neat! It was neat to see the half clean and half not clean as they sprayed the plaster off the beads. What a difference.

:shock: on having to fish out the reds. Were you crossed eyed by the time you were done? LOL Well worth it though!

It is going to be interesting to see how the plaster does out of standing water.

Not cross eyed, but sore backs and legs for sure!

I asked PB specifically about that and he said it was fine to not be under water. We will see for sure.

Wow! What a fabulous job they did! What type of plaster did you get? Was it Prism Matrix? Have you been in yet?

We went with Diamond Brite. Bahama Breeze is the color. Haven't been in yet. Will soon though.

Ok, so we went swimming today (twice), but then I realized we might not should have done that, since this is the break in period. Oh well, it's done. PB said it was ok to swim as soon as it was totally filled up (which was at 12am this morning). We'll refrain from swimming for the rest of the break in period, which I think is a week based on the link that Kim sent, but it wasn't real clear to me exactly how long we shouldn't be swimming.

Water is still very green, which I think is normal at first until break in and start up is done. Also, since the electrician never showed up on Friday, we STILL do not have pumps (hence the hose on the slide in the photos below). He is really aggravating me at this point. If he's not out tomorrow, I plan to personally track him down to get him out here!

Anyway, the kids love it and kept asking all day when they could get back in. I ended up taking the first ride down the slide, and surprisingly our son (4) went next. He was the one I thought would take quite a while to go down by himself. After he went, our daughter (6) finally worked up the courage and went down. The slide is definitely a hit with all of us! Only issue I can see right now is the overflow is slightly high, which will allow the bottom of the slide lip to be slightly in the water at the highest water level. So, I need to see if PB can possibly lower the auto-fill/overflow canister slightly or not.

PB is bringing brush and tools tomorrow so we can get started on brushing.

Pics of pool filled and first swim...

Yeah I'm pretty sure keeping my kids out of the pool once it is filled could be one of the 12 labors of Hercules. What is the reasoning behind not swimming while doing the plaster break in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.