New Pool w/ Falls & Slide in Baton Rouge, LA

That is PURRFECT!! WOW! Oh so pretty!!!!!!!!! Love everything you did!

Are the kids loving the slide? What is the fav part of the pool?

Kim:kim:

My daughter loves the slide. My son is still a scaredy cat. He's just content to go up there and watch big sister (and friends) go down. My son's favorite part is the tanning ledge and the bench by the basketball goal where he can shoot hoops. My daughter's favorite part is the slide and climbing up the waterfall then jumping (not diving of course) off. She also loves her life jacket, which allows her to slide, jump and swim on her on. That frees up mom and dad, so we love it too! Our son is starting to like the idea too, so we'll be getting him a TMNT one for Christmas.

Cool idea! You are a detail type guy! What type of paint did you use?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I tend to get bogged down in the details. It's a blessing and a curse. I used Valspar Outdoor Plastic spray paint from Lowes (and cardboard and painter's tape). 2 coats.

So nice! How do you like the in ground basketball hoop? Pros/cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We love the hoop! I put in so much research and measuring into getting that thing just right, because I knew I had ONE shot (no pun intended :smile:). I could not be happier with it. It is SOLID!

I took some more pics of everything during the day today, which shows the natural water color. I also took one of the glow-in-the-dark tiles, but the picture just doesn't do it justice. Also, I may not have mentioned before, but I changed the Chlorine tank out recently from the 15 gallon drum to a 5 gallon bucket. I'm just not going through near as much Chlorine as I thought (thanks to the Ozone), so I have no need for the big drum or the decreased Chlorine strength over the time it would take to go through that much Chlorine. The 5 gallon bucket should last me about a month during the summer (longer during the winter...only losing about 0.5ppm/day the past few days). We actually got in today for a little while. It was pretty warm outside and 81°F in the water, so we figured we may not get another chance before next season. Anyway, here are the pics from today (maybe the last):

Glow-in-the-dark tiles

Day pics

Makes looking out your patio door very nice!

Indeed. That's one of the reasons I designed it this way...so we could enjoy the view and sound even when we're not in it.

The shower on the side of your house is sweet!

Thanks. We use it as much as I thought we would and more than others thought we would. It really is nice to rinse off the chlorine and get that dry feel out of your hair.

I don't see piping going into the concrete too often. Looks super clean!

Yeah, I wouldn't have done it that way if I had the room to do it the regular way. It was incredibly stressful (with re-work of course) making sure the risers came up in the EXACT right locations, which was necessary, again due space constraints. I'm happy with the final result...as long as nothing EVER happens to those pipes.:wink:

How did you do the shower and is it easily replicated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did I do the shower? The first thing I did was ask my drainage guy to run a drain line underneath where the basin would be. Then I had the decking guy frame up the basin, which was 34”W x 38”D. Then, when they poured the main decking, they also poured the shower basin. I used a Hidden Deck Drain for the actual drain (same as I used in many other places in the main decking). Then, I bought the shower unit. It’s a Strom P0903Z in Oil Rubbed Bronze finish, which I purchased from VintageTub.com (Strom Plumbing Exposed Wall Mount Thermostatic Tub and Shower Faucet - Showers - Bathroom). Then, my PB hooked me up with his plumber who tied in hot and cold water from my laundry room, which was just on the other side of the wall where the shower is, so it was a very short run. Then, I patched, textured and painted all the drywall myself (not a stellar result, but mostly because I knew it would all be covered up anyway). The last step was for the plaster crew to plaster it with a pebble/glass bead plaster.

Is it easily replicated? Maybe. I really lucked out on having the hot and cold water supply very close by, but at the same time, that was a big factor in deciding where I wanted to put it. Also, having a drain line already running underneath it (just runs to a back ditch...not really a "sewer" line) simplified things. The concrete basin wasn't rocket science, but there was a good bit of thought that went into the overall size, contoured edges, height of edges, slope, etc. As far as the plaster, the crew was fantastic. After the guy was done, he said, "Not bad for my first time, eh?" He meant that was his first time plastering a shower, but wow...he nailed it! The shower unit itself was more than I was hoping to spend, but the concrete, plaster and drain line were no extra cost from my PB. So all I REALLY paid for was the shower unit and the hot/cold plumbing. In the end, SOOOO worth it. We use it every time after getting out of the pool to rinse the CL off and avoid having to dry off only to go inside and take a longer "formal" shower.

Here are some pics. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Drain Line

Forming & Pouring Basin

Hot/Cold Tie In

Mounting Shower

Drywall Patch

Plastering

Filling Hidden Drain w/ Plaster

Coolest Part BY FAR!!

DONE!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How is the pool plaster holding up not being in water all of the time? That is something I would like to keep track of as we help people who have to drain their pools quite often so it will be neat to be able to know what your shower plaster does out of water over time.

How is the pool plaster holding up not being in water all of the time? That is something I would like to keep track of as we help people who have to drain their pools quite often so it will be neat to be able to know what your shower plaster does out of water over time.

It's holding up decently so far. I don't have any really good pictures of when it was new and DRY, but I'm thinking there may have been some very slight fading since June. But maybe it's just because I never really noticed before how the color when dry is lighter than when wet. No cracking or any problems though yet. I'll keep you posted if I notice any changes over time though. Here are some pictures I took today dry, then wet.

Dry

Wet

That slide is AMAZING! Kids are never going to leave your house!

Thanks! My daughter really loves the slide...so do I though. :D

Nice looking build!! How long did it take you to paint the plumbing pipes at the equipment pad? I have been thinking about doing this myself, the white pvc is driving me crazy.

Sorry for the delayed reply...just noticed this post. I really only had to paint a little bit of the piping because most of it was purchased as black PVC. The little bit I painted took about an hour being careful to mask and shield certain areas for overspray. You can seen here which parts were painted (just the white pipe and grey fittings, excluding unions)...suction side of both pumps and adapter piece on discharge. Which reminds me...why in the world does a pump manufacturer make an all black pump and give you stark white adapter fittings with black collars?!! Sorry, just had to rant about that.

Well, it only took a year, but I finally finished my time lapse video of my pool build. I've also included my time lapse video of my solar heater install. Enjoy!

Pool Build Time Lapse

Solar Heater Time Lapse
cleardot.gif

I live in Prairieville and I am trying to find an excavation contractor, do you remember who did yours?

diy polymer wall build, 15x30 rectangle, full width 6' long sunshelf with steps leading to wedge slope at 6' depth, intelliflo vst2, tagelus ta100d, 60" waterfall, 4 deck jets, debating on swg or auto chlorinator. trying to find some Ledless bubblers for the sunshelf...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.