New Pool w/ Falls & Slide in Baton Rouge, LA

LOL on the pic of them sweeping the dirt off the concrete. Nice touch!

You are so close to being DONE with work and workers! That will be an awesome day for sure!

Did you friend also get a dip in that pretty pool?

Kim:cat:

LOL on the pic of them sweeping the dirt off the concrete. Nice touch!

You are so close to being DONE with work and workers! That will be an awesome day for sure!

Did you friend also get a dip in that pretty pool?

The irrigation crew is the polar opposite of the electrical crew. Very professional, hard working, clean and considerate. Just high quality work!

Yes, hopefully that day will be in the next week or two!

No, we didn't actually wrap up until about 9:30 or 10:00, so I think sleep was our top priority at that point. Maybe next time though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was another non-stop weekend around (but not so much in) the pool. My good friend and dad stopped by on Saturday to help me get the runners put up, which went pretty smooth. Before that I spent the morning moving the receptacles in the decking planters (placed in the wrong spot by our wonderful "electricians" (I use that term loosely)) and preparing the land on the side of the equipment pad for building a stone walk way back to the shower. I sprayed the ground with some Ground Clear week killer, then laid some very thick visquine and bordered the ends with stone and one side (against the fence) with a landscaping border. Then I went to the stone yard before they closed to pick up some small red rocks. After working on the fence, I helped the plumbers reset the overflow lower (as planned). Unfortunately, I didn't double check their measurement :brickwall:, and they ended up setting it TOO low. So, the next day I had to dig out all around it to try and pull it up 1 inch. All I got though was 1/2 inch (too much piping connected), which isn't terrible, but it's the best I can get it.

Sunday included setting the flagstones and pouring red rocks for the walkway by the pad, extending up 2 valve boxes and setting/connecting the 2 speakers for the decking planters. All this in and around rain showers made it very muddy and difficult earth work, but it all had to be done this weekend because they are planning to finish landscaping and sod this week.

Speaking of landscaping, my stone guy came over this evening to address a few leaks in the waterfall planters. The leaks are just abandoned conduit/pipes running to the back wall that never were sealed off. So every time the irrigation runs, water drains to the back wall and onto the ground making a muddy area. So, they came to assess that this evening and will fix tomorrow. HOWEVER, what we realized when we he started poking around was that the canna looked pretty bad (I knew this and mentioned it several times to his wife (the landscaper))...come to find out the entire planters on either side of the waterfall were holding A LOT of water...it was seriously a kiddy pool for plants, soil and mulch! Nothing was draining out through the drain (the only way it could escape was through those conduits/pipes to the back wall). He had put fabric underneath the drain cover and on top and then rocks, but admitted that he shouldn't have put the fabric on the under side. Sooo, back tomorrow to basically re-do the drainage on both of those beds, replace the 4 canna that looked bad (birds of paradise looked fine), patch the conduit/pipes and restore the beds (i.e. speaker, irrigation, lighting, etc.). At this point, I'm thinking other landscaping may commence this week, but sod looks doubtful...we'll see.

On a positive note, we took the kids night swimming for the first time tonight and my wife got some pretty good shots of our son underwater. He's getting more and more comfortable with going underwater every day!

Elliott underwater

Runners up!

Setting speakers in deck planters

Laying stone walkway (leftover flagstone and creek/moss rock)

Discovering planter drainage issue (stone crew supervising owner :goodjob:)

Swim little fish! Swim! Those pics are awesome! Do they ask to go swim every hour of the day? How are the kids doing on the slide? Have either one of them been down it on their own?

Gurrrrr on the slide beds not draining BUT at least they are taking care of it.

Gurrr on the filler being TOO low now:brickwall: for sure!

You are on hard work fella that does great work! Nice work on the walkway! That fence will be done in now time now.

What great pictures of little Elliot!! What kind of camera did she take those on?

It's a Gopro Hero with an underwater housing

Swim little fish! Swim! Those pics are awesome! Do they ask to go swim every hour of the day? How are the kids doing on the slide? Have either one of them been down it on their own?

Gurrrrr on the slide beds not draining BUT at least they are taking care of it.

Gurrr on the filler being TOO low now:brickwall: for sure!

You are on hard work fella that does great work! Nice work on the walkway! That fence will be done in now time now.

They ask to swim pretty frequently. It was constantly the first week, but it's settled down a little now. Our daughter (Charlotte) likes going down the slide. She goes down at least 4 or 5 times every time we get in (own her own). Elliott not so much yet. He's gone down by himself (he was actually the first one down of the two, surprisingly), but I think he's more interested in being with momma (he really is a momma's boy through and through).

Yeah, unfortunately, when they sealed the holes today they also sealed the hole that was the drain from the top planter down to the bottom planter. That pipe is also used as a sleeve to run micro irrigation tubing up to the top planter, which took me a solid hour one day to fish it down there. I let my stone guy know about it, but haven't heard back from him yet. I told him he needs to remove that seal without damaging the tubing or re-route the tubing himself...I'm NOT doing that again when I specifically told him NOT to seal that pipe. Simple miscommunication between him and his guys, but man, what a pain now (for them at least).

Thanks, I normally stay pretty busy around the house on the weekends, but lately it's been relentless just due to timing of other things needing to be done (by me) before scheduled work happens during the week. I talked to landscaper today and we're hoping to have landscaping finished Thursday or Friday. We could do sod too, but with the weather forecast we're leaning towards waiting until next week when we have a few solid days of low rain chances (wishful thinking I know) before ordering the sod and grading. It delays finishing my fence, but I want to make sure it's done right.

And speaking of finishing the fence in no time...unfortunately, the manufacturer of the composite pickets I bought recommends using screws instead of nails. Part 2 of their recommendation is to pre-drill the holes to minimize mushrooming. So my time per board just quadrupled at least. The end result will allow me to be able to remove the pickets if I need to, but if I didn't have to do it that way, I probably would have just used nails with a nail gun.

Notice the tubing running into the pipe on the left side

No more drain

Correct locations with seals

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
NOOOOOOOOO! I can here it all the way over here!!!!!!!:( Here is hoping they get it RIGHT soon!

BUT the good thing about the boards is you will NEVER have to do anything other than spray them down to clean! Of course there is that huge amount of work on the front end :( Make a template so all you have to do is aim and pull the trigger!

LOL on E going down first. I remember you saying he may not even go down for a while and he ended up being the first one! SO glad to hear that C. loves it. I bet she is SO cute doing it! Do you still have to catch her?

:kim: :cat:

NOOOOOOOOO! I can here it all the way over here!!!!!!!:( Here is hoping they get it RIGHT soon!

BUT the good thing about the boards is you will NEVER have to do anything other than spray them down to clean! Of course there is that huge amount of work on the front end :( Make a template so all you have to do is aim and pull the trigger!

LOL on E going down first. I remember you saying he may not even go down for a while and he ended up being the first one! SO glad to hear that C. loves it. I bet she is SO cute doing it! Do you still have to catch her?

:kim: :cat:

One of the guys showed up this evening to fix the drain. Just as I thought, he damaged the irrigation tubing, so I helped him pull a new one through. All is good now and landscaping (redo of waterfall planters and new planters/beds) is scheduled for tomorrow. Sod is also on order, which should be delivered tomorrow, so grading should also be done tomorrow. They might lay sod tomorrow, but more than likely I'm thinking it will be Friday. After that, it's fence pickets on Saturday hopefully. All of this weather permitting of course (fingers crossed).

Yeah, we still have to catch her. She can swim well, but lacks the confidence to make it from the slide to the wall.

I ordered a storage bin for the acid, which works pretty well. Also, I told you wrong on the chlorine price before. I refilled today and paid $7 per jug (2.5 gal ea.) for a total of $15 for 5 gal. The $5 per jug was the initial rental/deposit fee. They do give you a free refill every 10th jug. Overall, it's less than Wally World, higher chlorine content and no wasted bottles. I did order the Stenner pump and 15 gal container recently, so I'm hoping to get that set up pretty soon. BTW, I have an unused Rainbow 300C chlorine feeder that I can give someone a really good deal on!

LOL on you helping him pull it. Very nice of you AND you know it was done the correct way this time :/

As C gets better at swimming you are going to turn around to see her going down on her on! Are you getting the kids in lessons? There are several around here that come to the house. Something to think about.

That box is purrfect. It fits right there out of the way. Nice pick!

That box will match my patio stuff!! Please share details :)

That's a nice box! Where did you buy it, if you don't mind sharing?

Here it is folks: Amazon.com : Suncast ELEMENTS® End Table with Storage Java : Patio, Lawn Garden

LOL on you helping him pull it. Very nice of you AND you know it was done the correct way this time :/

As C gets better at swimming you are going to turn around to see her going down on her on! Are you getting the kids in lessons? There are several around here that come to the house. Something to think about.

That box is purrfect. It fits right there out of the way. Nice pick!

Exactly!

C has had 2 sessions of lessons last year and the year before and E 1 session last year. It definitely wouldn't hurt to have more though for sure. My wife and I have talked about getting someone over to the house (once the dust settles). In fact, there is at least one instructor in the neighborhood that works for a local swim school. We'll probably reach out to her at least.

Thanks! Does it have an outlet for the MA to vent outside or do we need to drill a hole in the bottom?

The lid has a latch that didn't quite work right (the lid kept popping up), so I just removed the latch. Doing that allows the lid to rest open just a little (maybe 1/2"), so I figured that was better anyway to allow for venting. Two problems solved!

The lid has a latch that didn't quite work right (the lid kept popping up), so I just removed the latch. Doing that allows the lid to rest open just a little (maybe 1/2"), so I figured that was better anyway to allow for venting. Two problems solved!

Does it have a locking capability if we wanted to make a vent hole in the bottom?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.