New Pool, TF-100 w/stirrer Test Results, What ya think?

May 6, 2017
Central Florida
Hey all,

I'm new pool owner, going on three weeks run time and after following advice of this forum I picked up the TF-100 test kit and that awesome little magnetic stirrer thingy. Here's the recorded test results...

FC 2.5
CC 1
TC 3.5
CH 175
TA 80 - 8 drops when first pink, 10 drops or 100 when fully red/pink
CYA 20 - the view tube was completely full and the black dot was still partially viewable
PH 7.5

According to these scores the

TA is low- Should be 100-120
CH is low should be in the 250-400 range
CYA should be 40-50

Any idea what could be leading to low TA, CH and CYA level?

Also, not sure if I should make any changes as I'm planning to add SWG this weekend.

Thanks for any feedback.

-AJ

Hey all,

I'm new pool owner, going on three weeks run time and after following advice of this forum I picked up the TF-100 test kit and that awesome little magnetic stirrer thingy. Here's the recorded test results...

FC 2.5
CC 1
TC 3.5
CH 175
TA 80 - 8 drops when first pink, 10 drops or 100 when fully red/pink
CYA 20 - the view tube was completely full and the black dot was still partially viewable
PH 7.5

According to these scores the

TA is low- Should be 100-120
CH is low should be in the 250-400 range
CYA should be 40-50

Any idea what could be leading to low TA, CH and CYA level?

Also, not sure if I should make any changes as I'm planning to add SWG this weekend.

Thanks for any feedback.

-AJ
TA is not low. CH and CYA are low because somebody didn't add enough. CYA doesn't exist in nature and some parts of the country are lucky enough to have soft water. What worries me is the 1 CC. It could be testing error, or it could be that you just added a bunch of water and they use chloramines in the municipal water supply and it hasn't had a chance to burn off in the sun, but it could also indicate something nasty is going on in there. I suggest a repeat of the FC and CC tests.

Get everything balanced, then add salt, and lastly switch on the SWG and let it take over chlorination. But don't complicate things. Make sure there's no problem starting before you start making big chemistry changes.

aj,

I'd get your SWCG running first... then..

Your TA is fine... the basic rule is... adjust your pH (when necessary) and don't do anything to TA unless it tries to drop below 50...

With a SWCG you will want to increase your CYA... you will want to have it at 70 or so...

I would also increase your CH to about 350 or so...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.