New pool startup advice

Foosman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Austin, TX
New pool with Wet Edge Luna Quartz. Startup instructions want to get the TA to 80 then adjust PH.
First pool reading a few hours after filling:
CH: 250
TA: 180
PH: 8.2+

I added 1 bottle of Jack's Magic Magenta, then 3 gallons of acid. I waited a few hours and re-checked the TA and it was down to 80.

Reading 6/1/17 8:30AM:
CH: 200 (hmm, didn't expect it to go down, maybe just different water sample)
TA: 90
PH: 6.8

TA is pretty good, so now I'm thinking to I need to raise the PH. I turned on bubblers along with spa overflow to aerate, but should I add soda ash to raise the PH or will this also raise the TA?

That sounds like a huge change in TA. It is recommended to bring TA down slowly, while keeping your PH above 7. By adding that much acid, it seems that your PH would be well below 6.8. What's your FC level? Is it above 10?

That sounds like a huge change in TA. It is recommended to bring TA down slowly, while keeping your PH above 7. By adding that much acid, it seems that your PH would be well below 6.8. What's your FC level? Is it above 10?
The pool was plastered and filled just yesterday, so there is no chlorine. Due to large amounts of plaster dust it's common to add a lot of acid at start up.

Honestly... On a new pool startup, I would follow the manufacturers instructions exactly, and ask them any questions.

Don't get me wrong. I do not think that you will get any better advice on such things than right here.

But, I also wouldn't want to be in a position attempting to make a warranty claim with "but some guy on the internet told me..." regardless of how good the advice might be.

Honestly... On a new pool startup, I would follow the manufacturers instructions exactly, and ask them any questions.

Don't get me wrong. I do not think that you will get any better advice on such things than right here.

But, I also wouldn't want to be in a position attempting to make a warranty claim with "but some guy on the internet told me..." regardless of how good the advice might be.
Their instructions say to add acid to lower the TA. Then reduce the PH. The issue is my PH is too low as adding the acid to lower the TA also brought down the PH. I'm thinking the PH may rise over time. Anyhow, I think aerating will bring up the PH and if it stays low I'll give the plaster guys a call,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.